Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Frozen rudder shaft Hinterhoeller 28

OK... I was envisioning adding a short sleeve after the fact just for the seal.... bushing up the whole shaft means bigger bushings top and bottom... tough to do if he wants to save the old tube....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2013

knuterikt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
OK... I was envisioning adding a short sleeve after the fact just for the seal.... bushing up the whole shaft means bigger bushings top and bottom... tough to do if he wants to save the old tube....
It was a replay to this post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyham View Post
The attached pic taken from their PDF looks just like my setup. My only question is rudder shaft OD. I am 1 7/8" and their closest listed size is 1 3/4". We shall see what they say.
Don't think it is possible to squeeze a 1 7/8" shaft into a 1 3/4 bearing.
If he will use these bearings reducing the shaft by 1/8" is not easy (or smart)
Sleeving one size up seems a better option - would also give smooth surface.
If the purpose of the sleeving only is to smooth en the surface - the sleeve can be made thin (wall thickness of 3mm)

I have not seen the whole shaft, often he upper part has smaller OD than the lover part.

Only need sleeving the part where the bearings go.

Epoxying a new tube have already been discussed.
Old 02-09-2013

Sea Dawg is on a distinguished road

Congrats, you're on the right track and near solution! Be sure the paste you showed in your hand wasn't white lead. That used to be an industrial lubricant/gasket sealant for marine service. Not so popular any more. As for sealing the rudder. Whether it's above waterline or not leaving it open to atmosphere would seem to invite seawater to come and go more freely while underway due to the motion of sailing.
Old 02-13-2013

rbyham is on a distinguished road

I am back form the cruise which I will say turned out much better than those poor folks being towed in the Gulf. :-( Hope they make it OK. Actually I was with carnival as well and we did have an episode. At one point something happened to the stablizer system and we heeled that monster way over first to starboard then to port. It was in slow motion so you did not know how far it was going to go. But I was on a lounger between two hot tubs and the heel was so extreme that both tubs were emptied and people all over the boat hanging on for dear life. It was truly scary.

Anyway... I am working with the guys at Tide Marine to see if we can figure out how to make one of their RPB Type I seals work. I got on the boat today and was able to take more accurate measurements. I do have approximately 8 ¾” between quadrant and top of rudder tube so I should be fine. I borrowed some calipers and got a 1.92” measurement on the rudder shaft OD. The same calipers gave me a 2.92” OD on rudder tube. I was surprised I did not get a more rounded fraction on the measurement something like 1.75” or 2.0” on shaft and 3.0” on the tube. Was it because I was using a digital caliper? What do you think? Does measurement by caliber produce slightly different results? Anyway I sent the digital results over to the TM guys to see what they think. But if their seal works it will be a fairly easy clean up of shaft and then slide everything together.

Had some other good boat news today as well. It rained here the whole time we were cruising. So the bilge had about 5 inches of water in it. I now have a battery on board but have not tested much of the electronics yet. I was about to use manual bilge pump to remove water but instead hit the switches for the auto bilge bump and the thing threw all that water out in about 20 seconds. This led me to test cabin lights as well as sound system and all worked. Not bad for a 1966 boat that has sat on the hard for 5 years.
Old 02-14-2013
Hinterhoeller HR28

pvanv1 is on a distinguished road

OK, so your shaft diameter is a Nominal 1-15/16, based on those calipers. Personally, I prefer real micrometers for measuring shafting. Still, not a big deal. the important thing is to get the appropriate dimensions for the bearing surface. Don't forget that there are other standards of measurement, including millimeters...

Drill a hole in the side of the keel sump, as close to the bottom as reasonable, as far aft as reasonable, and install a bronze garboard drain. Leave that open when on the hard. You won't need to pump during the off season. Mine is installed "backwards", so I can insert the plug from inside the bilge... without diving, should we accidentally launch with the plug out.
Buffalo, NY USA
Old 02-14-2013

Thanks Paul... for now I shall ponder intentionally drilling a hole in the bottom of my new to me boat. My skills are developing but I am not sure I am ready for that just yet. But the function of such a drain makes perfect sense. We shall see.

In the meantime the search goes on for the right shaft seal. I was looking at the Tides Marine seal but my local boatyard warned me off of Tides and steered me in the direction of these: 02-200-300 | PSS Shaft Seal Looks like an easy install. I plan to shorten the length of my rudder tube by 1/2" using my trusty sawzall :-) clean and prep the shaft and then slide it all together compressing the seal accordingly.

I spent a couple hours today figuring out rigging. In storage the mast has simply laid lengthwise on the deck in a sort of jumbled mess. But taking my time I think I can see where everything goes. Worked on nav lights today and just need a bulb for green starboard light and all will be working. I also tested an electronic wind direction/speed indicator that came with the boat. It worked fine too. So it seems the PO stored things well which does not surprise me. I also popped in to local boat yard to discuss launch and mast step process and price. Looks like about $450 for everything including a power wash and atomic 4 test run on the hard with their water. I want to make sure she is running no problem as my slip will be about a mile away from launch and the engine my only power and river current running about 3 knots. Guess I better make sure anchor is working that day as well. :-) Thanks for all the help all. I think we are getting close.
Old 02-14-2013

On inspection of the mast I noticed the spreader joints wrapped in some sort of white tape over top of what might be rubber boots. The tape shows wear and cracking and the rubber boots on the center connection appear torn underneath. What are these and should these be replaced before launch? My plan is to launch and do basic centering/rake of mast but to allow 4-5 days before tuning rigging. It is my understanding that having been on the hard for so long it will take the boat a few days to return to natural shape. See photos for details on spreader question.
Attached Thumbnails
Frozen rudder shaft Hinterhoeller 28-20130214_130815_resized.jpg   Frozen rudder shaft Hinterhoeller 28-20130214_130741_resized.jpg   Frozen rudder shaft Hinterhoeller 28-20130214_130732_resized.jpg  
Old 02-14-2013
Hinterhoeller HR28

Spreader boots are de rigeur for many. They only last a few years before the UV splits them. Likewise, a whole roll of 3M tape is not unusual. Personally, I have shroud rollers, so do not need boots or tape. Personal choice. Should not be any boots at the spreader roots, though any pins might well need to be taped. Just rig it and sail it. Have a rigger check the wire, or just replace it. After everything starts to settle in, then you can tune the rig. The cradle may or may not have allowed the hull to relax. All depends. I typically overtighten the rig a little when stepping in the spring, then tune a week later.
Buffalo, NY USA
Old 02-14-2013
Hinterhoeller HR28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyham View Post
Thanks Paul... for now I shall ponder intentionally drilling a hole in the bottom of my new to me boat. My skills are developing but I am not sure I am ready for that just yet. But the function of such a drain makes perfect sense. We shall see.

In the meantime the search goes on for the right shaft seal. I was looking at the Tides Marine seal but my local boatyard warned me off of Tides and steered me in the direction of these: 02-200-300 | PSS Shaft Seal Looks like an easy install. I plan to shorten the length of my rudder tube by 1/2" using my trusty sawzall :-) clean and prep the shaft and then slide it all together compressing the seal accordingly.
The PSS unit in question has a side tube for cooling water, and is intended for a prop shaft. Different animal.
Buffalo, NY USA
Old 02-14-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Standard stuffing box anyone?

PACKING BOX ASSEMBLY BRZ 2" SHAFT 3" HOSE *NS* 103460

Bet you could find a used one for much less.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.