Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Frozen rudder shaft Hinterhoeller 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyham View Post
Hows about this? ......
Will the remaining seal material/whatever that is still stuck in the top be cleanly removed?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2013

rbyham is on a distinguished road

Yes I would use a multi saw for a clean perpendicular cut just below where all that old stuffing box remnant it. I that would leave me with a clean new SS rudder tube but about 3/4" shorter. It is a very solid unit and everything would fit right back into the hull. With fresh bedding and glassing from inside it should be even stronger than glassing in a fiberglass tube . I would have to glass first and then drill new holes up through so bolts go in last.
Old 02-16-2013
Hinterhoeller HR28

pvanv1 is on a distinguished road

Rick... There's nothing wrong with your old tube, aside from the damage done by extracting the old seal. Yes, it was wise to extract the tube and inspect the connection/seal at the hull. I would re-fit the top seal (use whatever you prefer for that), re-bed it in 3M 5200 (very permanent!) or Life Calk (polysulfide), and be done with it. No glass needed -- none was needed for over 45 years, so why re-invent the wheel? KISS.
Buffalo, NY USA
Old 02-16-2013

I tend to agree with you Paul. I think cleaning all surfaces and re bedding would do the trick. Glassing would probably be overkill. I am thinking a stuffing box like Denise shows above to fit to top of tube. Would be a fairly easy refit. Someone asked about a backing plate on outside of hull to create sandwich of hull but there was nothing of that sort originally. Just the four bolts up through the hull with washers and nuts inside.
Old 02-24-2013

After a week on the road and all day rain yesterday I finally got a few hours in on the boat today. The stuffing box is in and fits well to rudder tube. I got the old stuffing box cut off the tube today as well. Then I prepped the hull inside for bedding tomorrow. The rudder shaft had a few nicks and corrosion spots but all sanded down well. So tomorrow we will bed the tube and then give it a few days to cure before putting the rudder back in. I one step at a time.
Old 02-25-2013

Well some good progress today. See pics. Got the refit rudder tube bedded in Life Calk today. Was cool and windy but my faithful wife assistant hung in there while we got it all gooped up and tightened down. I plan to give it until Saturday to cure and hopefully reinsert rudder hardware. The job today went well though there was some minor panic as we had to work hard to get all four bolts to line up well. Probably used too much calk. :-) See pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Frozen rudder shaft Hinterhoeller 28-bedding-1.jpg   Frozen rudder shaft Hinterhoeller 28-bedding-2.jpg   Frozen rudder shaft Hinterhoeller 28-bedding-3.jpg   Frozen rudder shaft Hinterhoeller 28-new-box-1.jpg   Frozen rudder shaft Hinterhoeller 28-new-box-2.jpg  

Old 02-26-2013
Hinterhoeller HR28

pvanv1 is on a distinguished road

Looking good !
Buffalo, NY USA
Old 02-26-2013
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

Nice looking job! Your progress has been really impressive, rbyham. It's been interesting to watch you go from "let the pros have at it" to becoming a bit of an expert on this situation yourself. Well done!

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 02-26-2013

Thanks for the encouragements folks. I feel good about where we are with launch plan. Ultimately splash will tell the tale. :-)

But honestly I doubt I would have tried this repair apart from guidance and encouragement found on this forum. The HR28 is much less a mystery to me today.

I know you all have heard it before but a noobie is very appreciative and excited to meet more of the Charleston sailing community once I get into a slip. That and I cannot wait to get 8 years of storage grime off the boat and see what she can really look like. :-)

Our Colorado daughter is bringing a young man this week to meet us. I plan at this point to spend Saturday with him and my local son putting the rudder back in. Will be a good chance to hang out with our son who is very excited about the boat and get to know the new guy as he really is.
pvanv1 likes this.
Old 03-04-2013

Well the stuffing box/rudder replacement job is done! Yep. I had two good helpers Saturday and with them pushing from below and me inside inserting box and quadrant on we got her all up in and buttoned down. Looks real nice. Took about 3 hours. I used 3/8" graphite rope. Testing the steering she goes lock to lock real smooth. BUT sad to say no pics yet. Hopefully this afternoon I will get back over for a final pic. Thanks for all the help here. Assuming it will be dry on launch this has been a good experience for me. I know the boat very well at this point which is a huge bonus.

NOW... this has me wondering about the box on the prop shaft. Stuffing there is vintage 2002 with boat on the hard since 2005. Should I open that box up and replace that rope? I have started the engine and run for up to 10 minutes. Feeling the shaft and box at t hat point they were mildly warm but no where near hot. And that on the hard with no water to cool. What do you think?

Again much thanks for all the guidance along the way. Man boatyards must hate you all! :-)
deniseO30 likes this.