Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-21-2013

mahonri is on a distinguished road
Re: Cape Dory stuffing box leak

Phew, emergency over. And to think all it would take is the proper tools. Finally got the locking nut loose with a small 2lb sledge and a "demolition driver" full length steel screwdriver. Still will need to repack the box I'm sure, but I'm not planning on moving it in the near future, so got the drip rate pretty much nill for now. Haven't checked it yet with the motor in gear, but will be sure to do that if I do any motoring before I repack it. Thanks everybody for the help!

-Mo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

OMG, glad you didn't break the shaft log!

I don't know if they make them that big. but maybe a couple "flare nut" wrenches would be the ticket. Maybe you could have something welded up.

PSS shaft seal was the ticket on my boat. But the mere mention of this will start an whole new discussion!

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-21-2013

mahonri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
OMG, glad you didn't break the shaft log!

I don't know if they make them that big. but maybe a couple "flare nut" wrenches would be the ticket. Maybe you could have something welded up.

PSS shaft seal was the ticket on my boat. But the mere mention of this will start an whole new discussion!
From another thread I have running on the Cape Dory forums, I guess this method is the usual way. The shaft log is metal and not a fiberglass tube so it's pretty tough.

-Mo
Old 01-21-2013

Bradhamlet is on a distinguished road

Hey Celeb D you had something there, a wax toilet ring. My stuffing box drips more than I would like and a hall-out is still a year away. Im going to try your idea of stuffing some wax from the outside. Never thought of a wax seal, but I really think you are onto something here. Thanks for the tip, the out side the box kind of tip. (great)

Brad
Lancer 36
Old 01-21-2013

okawbow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradhamlet View Post
Hey Celeb D you had something there, a wax toilet ring. My stuffing box drips more than I would like and a hall-out is still a year away. Im going to try your idea of stuffing some wax from the outside. Never thought of a wax seal, but I really think you are onto something here. Thanks for the tip, the out side the box kind of tip. (great)

Brad
Lancer 36
If you stop the water coming in from the outside; your stuffing box will overheat when you run the prop.

Chuck
Privateer 26 Schooner
Old 01-21-2013

Bradhamlet is on a distinguished road

I don't know about that, the outside water temp is in the 50's. I had it so tight years ago that it was almost dry and it was wonderful. That shaft was cold to the touch after hours of hull speed sailing(7+kts). I know it is there to lube the shaft but Im going to try this approach and let you know how it worked.

Brad
Lancer 36
Old 01-21-2013

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road

Perhaps a line wrench, also called a "flare wrench or flare nut wrench" would get in there. There available at Lowe's Sears, Granger, Amazon, etc.
Old 01-21-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradhamlet View Post

Brad
Lancer 36
You are welcome for the idea Brad. I'm just passing it along as I did not think of it.
The best thing about the idea of using a wax on the outside to slow down water ingress at the cutless bearing (in an emergency) is that the wax WILL dissipate if the shaft spins for long. No harm, no foul and very low likely hood that the stuffing box will get over heated.
This idea may not work so well in warm tropical water as the wax will remain fairly soft nor is this idea very appealing when the water temps are very cold as who wants to go swimming in cold water?

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-01-2013

BGS is on a distinguished road

I just wanted to say I am having the same problem on a 1979 Cape Dory 28. Nearly inaccessible... I also do not have the rubber tube that connects the stern. I'm happy you mentioned that because that had me a bit puzzled.

I have been trying the hammer screw driver method but that has just chipping away at the nut starting to strip it. Additionally it just doesnt feel right banging on a screwdriver near the shaft like that... seems like there has to be a better way.

It seems making your own wrench may be the only way. Although a big enough flair wrench might work.
Old 11-01-2013

Delta-T is on a distinguished road

Wondering if a Basin Wrench would work? Here is one that will do up to 2.5" round...Cat. no. 31180

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/basin-wrenches