Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Learning to maintain

+1 on learning to love and care for your engine. Incredible amount of self-satisfaction. Now I'm trying just as hard to embrace the head. But, I'm not feeling as much love.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2013

zeilfanaat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Superior Sailor View Post
Hey! I spent to much time getting everything right,instead of getting in the water!....Dale
+1

Sail the boat for a season to figure out what is really needed, what can wait, and what will make your sailing more comfortable. Get some enjoyment and "early success" out of the boat, and make sure that frustration with maintenance projects doesn't suck all the joy out of being on the water.

I tried not to get too wrapped up in Calder's and Casey's books. Calder's book in particular is a great reference, but everything he writes is in CAPITAL LETTERS or italics, with an exclamation mark every THIRD SENTENCE!!! You don't know what is truly critical and can wait. My goodness, if had done all the work he says I should have done, I would have never left the dock.
Old 01-21-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Must dos first. One at a time. Plan your work carefully and take your time. Others who have done similar work are invaluable. This forum is too.

DIY boat owners are maintenance junkeys! It should be enjoyable.

Good luck, be safe and enjoy.

Down
Old 01-21-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I have a 1 inch ring clip notebook aboard with several tabs. I keep checklist, winterization list, ships log, etc, in it.

I have one section for Repairs, which are generally those things that must get done soon, if not by the next voyage. Another is for Maintenance, which are routine items or those that can wait. And finally, Upgrades, which are really wish list type things I don't want to forget, but many never get to.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-21-2013

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road

+ 1 on the notebook.
I document upgrades/repairs each year and list specs/parts numbers for all from motor to all boat specs like mast clearance,
as well as all boat related phone #'s.
Old 01-21-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

First don't overwhelm yourself. What I did right in hind sight was to start with a 22 footer. The systems were simpler and that made the learning curve less steep.

With an older boat, particularly a larger boat, there are as many systems as there are with a house. But unlike a house much of what you're working on is unfamiliar.

Figure out what you have to know and work from there; don't try and absorb everything at once.

Engine - Did a manual come with your boat? If not you can find the owner’s manual for most diesels and outboards online. That manual will include a section on annual maintenance. Assume it hasn't been done on your boat. Change the oil, the impeller and the filters. These are approachable jobs that can be done in a day. They'll do your boat good and will give you a sense of accomplishment.

Did you have a pre-purchase survey done? A good surveyor will usually include a section on maintenance and safety items. If not give your local Coast Guard Auxiliary a call. They'll come out and do a free safety check. They're generally older guys who can give you a ton of good info if you just ask. Don't be afraid to tell them you're a new boater.

Don Casey's Inspecting the Aging Sailboat is $11 on Amazon. Rather than tell you how to fix things it will give you advice on what to look for and how to prioritize. Safety items always get priority over cosmetics.

Once you’re satisfied that she’s safe get her out for a sail on a nice day. Using her will help you figure out what projects need to be done and will let you enjoy her.

Read labels. I’ve seen three page articles on varnishing in glossy magazines that didn’t tell me any more than I could find out by reading the directions on the damn can.

Only buy good tools. Cheap tools will break, damage what your working on and bust up your knuckles.

Once you start doing projects books like “Good Old Boat” will make more sense. Use them as a reference, you need context for what you’re reading.

Above all take your time. If you’re tackling something new or unfamiliar keep a little notebook handy and take notes, write down measurements. The first winter I was laying up the 22 footer I took pictures of all the rigging so I knew I could re-rig her properly in the spring. Also keep sandwich bags on board. As you pull parts off zip them into sandwich bags and label them with a sharpie. Things will go back together a lot easier when you finally get back to the boat three weeks later. Stick to one project at a time for the same reason.

Finally, you’ll make mistakes. We all do. With time the mistakes will become fewer and you’ll become more adept at fixing them when they do happen. Putting sweat and blood into a boat is a big part of what makes her yours and can be satisfying in its own way.

Best of luck,
Jim
PorFin and downeast450 like this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 01-22-2013

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road

Wow, great advice. Imagine this: some of us actually learned all this stuff BEFORE the internet!!! Books, books, books and practice. Most maintenance items have been written up so well in both books and the 'net (Google is your friend) that the REAL learning "hump" is getting up the "gall" to tackle it. Don't hurry.

Look at it this way: if WE could do it, so can you!

Good luck, it's ALL doable.
Old 01-22-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGOSALT View Post
Asking questions also great, beware of experts with no 1st hand experience.
This could be one of the best warnings written in this thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.