Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013

PNWvagabond is on a distinguished road
Learning to maintain

Hey everyone,
I just bought Don Casey's sailboat maintenance manual and can't help but wonder where and how everyone else has learned to maintain their sailboats.

I'm thinking I'm about to go through a lot of trial and error with my first boat but hope to reduce a lot of the error with the book.
Also what would you have done differently early on if you could have. (I am just talking about the maintenance here)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-20-2013

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Learning to maintain

Hey! I spent to much time getting everything right,instead of getting in the water!....Dale
jrd22 likes this.
Where God got it done!
Old 01-21-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

PNW,

Read, read, plan, ask around, reread, then do. Repeat as necessary.

Casey's book is useful, but as with most things getting several different views is often useful.

A few other tomes you might consider:

- Nigel Calder's Electrical & Mechanical Handbook.
- Charlie Wing's Boatowner's Illustrated Electrical Handbook.
- Rebecca Whitman's Brightwork Companion.

Other resources:
- Sailing forums.
- MaineSail's on-line Compass Marine How-To articles.
- YouTube videos (evaluate carefully -- commercial outlets are usually pretty safe; private posters sometimes post some really bizarre and potentially damaging stuff.)
- Google for similar projects that owners sometimes post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Old 01-21-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Like learning all things, reading, asking questions, experience both good and bad - it all adds up. No-one is born knowing how to work on boats. There is a vast mine of information and experience on this forum.

Casey's books are very good but ignore his "gasket" method for bedding fittings - it is flat out wrong. Instead, countersink all boltholes so they retain an O-ring of your chosen goop. The consensus here seems to be that butyl tape is the best thing currently.

My copies of his books are a few years old so his advice on glass fabrics may have been updated but in mine he recommends roving and mat layups for glass work - patches and so forth. I have found that the current uncrimped biaxial fabrics are vastly better - wet out easier, drape better, don't require mat layers for good bonding, give higher glass to resin ratios - better in every way except rapid thickness building.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 01-21-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Buy good tools and keep them in good condition.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-21-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

We had our boat yard do the winterizing and spring commissioning for the first few years. Each year we did a bit more ourselves until now we're down to just having the yard run the antifreeze through the engine. For us it was a matter of getting comfortable with our ability not to sink ourselves. We also have all the diesel and deck maintenance books.
brokesailor likes this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 01-21-2013

Mobnets is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Superior Sailor View Post
Hey! I spent to much time getting everything right,instead of getting in the water!....Dale
I'll second that one!

My first sailboat, a 23 footer spent the first season on a trailer in my driveway because I didn't have the sense to focus on the "must do's" to get it in the water, but got wrapped up in the "nice to do's". I could have (should have) been in the water in a couple of weeks but ended up missing the whole first season with the boat.

My current boat spent 4 weeks on the cradle 30 feet from the travelift at the marina before launching while I did three weekends worth of "must do" projects and the marina shop did a days worth of rigging work on the mast.

I now have the mindset to tackle all the nice to do projects over the winter (with projects that can be brought home) or while we're using and enjoying the boat after it's in the water. I have an unending list of nice to do's, but if I don't get them done this season . . . there's always next year.

Mobnets
1973 Paceship Chance 32/28 "Westwind"
Old 01-21-2013

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road

Membership in a boat club and one-design fleet provided a lot of technical support and expertise. Whenever I had a diesel mechanic work on my boat I watched and asked questions. Mack Boring diesel school; you take the head off, adjust the valve clearances, and don't get to go home until the engine is running. Educational programs at my boat club.

It's not rocket science.
Old 01-21-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

If I were to do this whole boat-ownership thing again I would definitely have started sooner and started smaller. My first boat was a 34-footer at the age of 33 (my age). The boat was too big and too complicated for level of skill. That said, I learned; not fast, but I learned. It's not rocket science, but neither are the skills and challenges negligible.

This bring up one issue which really irked me early on. The number of times I heard a fellow boat owner tell me, "it's easy, it's quite simple, it's basic ...". Well, let me tell you, It's Not That Easy!

It's easy if you already know what you're doing. It's easy if you come to the problem with a lot of previous experience or applicable skills. But if you've barely handled a wrench, let alone had any experience with engines, plumbing, electrical, or fibreglass, then it's not that easy.

Yes, get all the books. Yes, take all those courses (Mack Boring is terrific!), and most of all, ask fellow boaters for advice and help. Most are more than willing to lend advice and help if you show you're actually trying to learn. But don't tell someone their problem is easy. It may be easy for you, but clearly it isn't for them.
DRFerron, downeast450 and joyinPNW like this.

Last edited by MikeOReilly; 01-21-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-21-2013

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road

Learn as much about your motor as you can especially your fuel delivery system.
Learn how to bleed motor, change filters. Carry spare belts and water pump impellor and know how to change. Great feeling when self sufficient.
Was a year before I knew my raw water cooled motor had internal zincs that needed to be changed. With fresh water systems, not all realized their heat exchangers have
to cleaned periodicly. Find out what is recommended as far as rpm's on your motor.
I learned that if I wanted to baby my motor, I should run her hard under load, not to build up carbon at low rpm's with no load.
Clubs, sailnet all great.
Asking questions also great, beware of experts with no 1st hand experience.
blutoyz and PNWvagabond like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.