Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By patrscoe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013

patrscoe is on a distinguished road
Seatalk network, ST60 integration

I have recently switched out my Simnet / Simrad network system along with their instruments to a Raymarine Seatalk network. The information online seems to be slightly confusing from Seatalk 1, to Seatalk 2 and Ng, etc...

I have the following:
Raymarine C90W chartplotter
ST60 plus Depth with transducer
ST60 plus Wind with Analog wind transducer
ST70 Autopilot head
X5 Autopilot (forthcoming in early spring)

I would use a backbone cable, use T(s) or multi-T(s) with spur cables (Seatalk1 to STng plug) that will lead to each instrument head including the St70 autopilot head, use the Seatalk HS from the chartplotter connecting to the X5 computer, and X5 computer connecting to the ST70 autopilot head (or will that cause loop problems if also connected to the backbone?). Wind transducer is connected directly to the ST60 plus wind head (If so, can the wind data be read by the chartplotter and the autopilot? If not, will I need a pod?) Or do I need to connect the wind transducer directly to the backbone via spur and I guess a pod? Depth transducer will also be connected directly to the instrument head. Terminate connectors will be located on each end of the backbone and the power will be some where in the middle. Separate power supply for the chart plotter.

My goals are to have everything connected to each other but if all possible, not daisy-chain together just in case that one instrument fails, the whole system will not fail. Also I will be adding radar and XM but that is not until later this year.

My instruments will be located in a Navpod, so they are consolidated together.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Seatalk network, ST60 integration

Your post itself is a little confusing, but I'll have a go..

1. Connect the depth transducer to the ST60 Depth & the Wind transducer to the ST60 Wind. Both these instruments come with flat 3-pin "Seatalk" plugs - connect them together and to the C90 daisy-chain fashion using the cables provided. The C90 should be able to power the instruments over the bus.

2. Connect ST70 to the C90 using the blue STng cables and droppers provided.

Note: "Seatalk" and "Seatalk NG" are completely different animals. IIRC, the "Seatalk" connections on ST60 instruments are "pass through" so that if any instrument dies, you still get transmission to others on the network.

Alternatively, you could connect the daisy-chained ST60's to your NG network using the Seatalk-to-STng cable. This means you don't need the Chartplotter on for the Autopilot to get its data - but - the ST60s then need to be powered from the NG network and if the adapter dies your Chartplotter and Autopilot will lose their ST60 data, which wouldn't be the case otherwise... so what you decide to do depends on how you intend to run the system.

If you want all your "information" on "Seatalk NG" instead of "SeaTalk" you can do this for lots of extra $$$ using NG-compatible Pods and set your ST60s to display-only, but why you'd spend the extra $$ for no practical benefit is beyond me. With Seatalk, information from any device connected to any network is available to anything that can read it.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Classic30; 01-21-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-22-2013

Agree, my post is confusing.
My objective is have a network so that the X5 Autopilot can receive the wind data from the wind transducer, have the option to run the Autopilot from the C90W chartplotter, and if possible, have the wind and depth display on both, instruments and chartplotter, but not necessary.
Sounds like I can daisychain via SeaTalk cables from each ST60+ instruments (Wind, Depth, ST70 smartcontroller-autopilot head), connect my depth and wind transducers directly to the instrument heads. The daisychain SeaTalk cable will connect into a 3-way SeaTalk block. This will be used to connect the Course Computer with the daisychain SeaTalk cables from the instruments and will the third inlet from the 3-way block for future expansion.
The chartplotter will be connected to the Course Computer via SeaTalk cable or NMEA.
I would power the Course Computer which will power the network SeaTalk cables to the instruments but also will provide power separately to the instruments incase I don't want the autopilot computer on (wasted battery life) and will also power the chartplotter separately.

If that works, that seems fairly basic.
chef2sail likes this.

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va
Old 01-22-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We have the depth, wind and knott meters daisy chained and a seperate power cable to an instruments switch on the panel. This allows you to turn all three on without the chartplotter, although we dont usually do that. Then those are also led to the backbone which leads into the chartplotter. The X-5 autopilot leads into the backbone and the radar is directely hooked into the chartplotter along with the AIS. There is a chartplotter witch on the panel which will power up the whole system.

dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-22-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

I wish there were better resources on the whole field of marine electronics. I've just had to figure it out myself. Even the manufacturers themselves seem to have poor information on the capabilities of their products, and sometimes they are even in error.
Old 01-22-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

I've found the Raymarine manuals to be pretty good and, to be honest, as I posted above, there are a myriad of ways you can achieve the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrscoe View Post
Agree, my post is confusing.
My objective is have a network so that the X5 Autopilot can receive the wind data from the wind transducer, have the option to run the Autopilot from the C90W chartplotter, and if possible, have the wind and depth display on both, instruments and chartplotter, but not necessary.
What I would do is:

Yes, connect the transducers to the instrument heads. The ST70 is STng only. I assume the X5 uses STng? If so, daisychain the ST60's using Seatalk and then connect them to your STng backbone using the ST-to-STng adapter. The ST70, X5 and C90 can all then connect to a single STng backbone using the droppers/terminations - make the C90 the end of the line. Configure the C90 to receive external data off the backbone and, magically, all your gear will have access to wind and depth info.

This way you can power the instruments off the STng backbone using the power adapter (one switch) and your C90 and X5? separately (off the other switch - IIRC the C90 has it's own power button) to save the batteries. Stay away from NMEA unless you really need it - I don't see that you do.

Make sense?

Last edited by Classic30; 01-22-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-23-2013

fallard is on a distinguished road

You might consider connecting your flux gate compass directly to your autopilot computer and let the heading data go from there to your other electronics via SeaTalk.

My understanding is that your ST70 autopilot (I have one, also) will handle a seaway better with a higher sample rate than SeaTalk provides. Your other gear is quite happy to receive heading data over SeaTalk.
Old 01-23-2013

Thanks for the info and advice! One thing, Raymarine was not much help but I am understanding the difference between the SeaTalk networks.

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.