SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Battens

786 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  chef2sail 
#1 ·
Just picked up a new/used (new to me) sail but it didn't come with battens..

It marked as from a Cat 27 and has the same P and E measurements as my original tired Paceship sail (also much "crispier") but it didn't come with battens...

Pockets are much skinnier than Paceship flat nylon battens would fit almost looks like maybe a 3/8" round fiberglass rod was used as batten...???

Is this common size for cat 27...? Can I just use a 3/8" -1/2" fiber rod as batten...??

#2 ·
I may have answered my own question, but would like confirmation before I order...

I didn't find any 3/8" "round" battens but did find 5/8" flat/tapered battens which look like they may fit...

Probably the ones...??

#3 ·
We have the 5/8 tapered flat.with good smooth end caps on each end.

One of the reasons I so like the 2 year old Quantum full batten main sail I got was the robust construction of the batten pockets especialy the end enclosure on the leech of the sail. It has a velcro reenforced sailcloth flap over the end of the batten and a small line tying it closed also. The other end of the battens fit into our Strong Track system . In this way both ends of the sail are protected from p[uncture as well as batten loss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.