SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Underwater camera for bottom maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/95994-underwater-camera-bottom-maintenance.html)

Frogwatch 01-23-2013 08:57 AM

Underwater camera for bottom maintenance

When I was younger, I had no problem diving beneath my boat to check the prop and bottom even in the canal where I kept her and the water was nasty and there were gators around. Now, not gonna happen.
I read about people wanting to know if their prop is badly fouled cuz they cannot see it. Why not a simple USB camera on a stick to shove underwater. Shouldn't be too hard to seal one. Of course, a source of light would be nice too..
OK, once you find fouling, you gotta remove it. Maybe some sort of rotating brush, maybe jets of water.

sd1953 01-23-2013 09:04 AM

Re: Underwater camera for bottom maintenance

I just purchased a "GoPro Hero 3" camera. It comes with a waterproof (to 197') housing. And the housing has a built in mount on it. Google the camera to see if it is what you are looking for. Older models, Hero and Hero 2, can be had cheaper than the new model.
I am buying a boat, and had it hauled for the survey. They were able to power wash the soft growth off the hull, but had to scrape barnacles off the bronze prop.
You may need to get someone into the water to clean at least the prop.
There was another thread on here with a link to a good article on bottom cleaning. I don't remember the title, but the search feature should find it for you. IIRC, it had someone in the water to clean the hull.

boatpoker 01-23-2013 09:21 AM

snake camera with 6' snake, $149.00 on ebay, no brand name on it and it came from china but it works great. Takes video and still shots.

Mobnets 01-23-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatpoker (Post 979872)
snake camera with 6' snake, $149.00 on ebay, no brand name on it and it came from china but it works great. Takes video and still shots.

I picked one up at Costco last year, but I'm not sure it's waterproof. That said, it's a wonderful aid on the boat, allowing visualization of areas you could never easily or practically see directly. I got it specifically for use on the boat, but have found lots of uses at home as well.

Mobnets
1973 Paceship Chance 32/28 "Westwind"

Faster 01-23-2013 10:09 AM

On days when the water is clear I find I can check the prop and zincs visually with a simple mechanic's mirror on a stick... but the idea of being able to have a good look with a camera is kind of neat...

Tim R. 01-23-2013 10:20 AM

I bought one of these a few years ago. Great for tight spaces and I also used it to check the zincs last year. $50.

USB Endoscope Inspection Snake Scope Video Borescope Camera 14mm Water Resistant | eBay

I just got a Gopro Hero3 Black edition that will work much better.

RobGallagher 01-23-2013 10:28 AM

If one is in the market for a good pocket camera anyway, I can vouch for the Canon D series. Less than $400 and takes very good pictures and video for what it is.

If one just needs something to look under the hull, older Olympus SW models can be found for less than a hundred bucks used. From personal experience I don't think they take the best pictures or video though.

If you live in the land of cold dark water (like I do in N.E.) a flash will help get good shots of your prop.

Frogwatch 01-23-2013 11:49 AM

Maybe combine the GoPro with some bright LEDs and mount it on a long stick with a pressure washer attachment. Then instead of diving to clean bottoms, you could do it from the dock

Every time I get an idea for making something involving boats I then get another for something weird and techie that takes precedence. So, my radar reflector, lightning ground and this camera thing are on hold while I make something to measure really bad stuff mixed with bad stuff in a nasty place.

Barquito 01-24-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

something to measure really bad stuff mixed with bad stuff in a nasty place
Sounds like a description of my son's bedroom.

There are some youtube videos out describing how to attach a GoPro to a PVC pipe. You then have an unlimited long arm. Attach an underwater flashlight. Post results here.

sd1953 01-24-2013 12:34 PM

I looked through my files and found the bottom cleaning article, "Do it yourself Bottom Cleaning" by Carolyn Shearlock.
Do-It-Yourself Bottom Cleaning
That should get you to the article. It does assume that you will be in the water doing this job.