Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013

probwhite is on a distinguished road
Re: Best wind generator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
best wind generator = 3 stink potters at a table with 3 blowboaters and a few beers shared.
inshallamiami likes this.

I came off the rebound, started looking around,
Figured out it's time to have a little fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2013

71Irwin32 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by probwhite View Post
Yea, you can go ahead and ruin my post/question, but at least people with data are responding via PM with good data. You've ruined searching this forum because of all the off topic junk.

A few individual ruining the whole forum for everybody else. I've been preparing for this trip and working on my boat for three years and coming to sailnet from time to time for important data. Now I see at this point sailnet is now a waste of time and has been taken over by.........time to write off sailnet and this forum and go elsewhere.

:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-27-2013

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

I've just installed a D400 available from Southeast Marine and now SV Hotwire. It too is very expensive but from my research the best. The Practical Sailor review on wind generators was done quite some time ago and the D400 was not available at the time. So I have just gone on word of mouth but I have yet to find any owner who has anything but the highest praises for it. It is super quiet and actually works.
Old 01-27-2013

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Irwin32 View Post
Yea, you can go ahead and ruin my post/question, but at least people with data are responding via PM with good data. You've ruined searching this forum because of all the off topic junk.

A few individual ruining the whole forum for everybody else. I've been preparing for this trip and working on my boat for three years and coming to sailnet from time to time for important data. Now I see at this point sailnet is now a waste of time and has been taken over by.........time to write off sailnet and this forum and go elsewhere.

:
It's unfortunate that both these members have over 5000 posts and are considered well to do in the information department but didn't offer substance in their replies to you...

Here is a good post about some marine wind generators that will keep you interested... Good luck and keep us posted on what you install and it's performance.
Old 01-27-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

So you're the kind of person that sits around the table with a bunch of friends and asks a question about something you don't know. You get an answer or two, then someone makes a tame joke and you get mad. That's ridiculous.

This is a discussion among friends and a light hearted comment or two is not against forum rules.

I repeat. Lighten up.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-27-2013
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
This is a discussion among friends and a light hearted comment or two is not against forum rules.

I repeat. Lighten up.
Truly! 71, you were getting good information. Consider yourself lucky to get some lighthearted comments mixed in. These are friends here, not a bunch of consultants you hired.
inshallamiami likes this.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 01-27-2013

sck5 is on a distinguished road

I have this function on my computer called "scroll". It comes in handy when you want to skip a post and go to the next one. Try it some time!
Arjen likes this.
Old 01-27-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Gee, and I thought sailing was supposed to be fun and relaxed and I consider myself to be a 'serious sailor', 30,000 miles in the few years. We have an Air Marine unit and it has worked fine. There are better units, but pricier and quieter units, but they don't seem to produce much juice.

If you don't approach this business with the right attitude you will find it incredibly frustrating. We thought we might run aground backwards in Indonesia because there was no wind, the raw water pump had croaked (a particular issue with us) and it was too hot to replace, it was extremely deep right to shore so anchoring was a problem, and a current was setting us toward the land at about one knot. A little gallows humor seemed to be just what the doctor ordered to break the tension. BTW, before we reached shore we found about 5 knots of wind and clawed our way offshore - like the sound of that, 'clawed' - the sea was like a millpond and we were trying to make it to two knots.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 01-27-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

K- Glad to see you're posting and have kept your sense of humor. All the best.Get well soon. Have no where near your experience but figure most people who have done a Bermuda or snow bird to warmer climes have been "hundreds of miles offshore" and that's most of us. In my life that's where humor is the best tool to get you through. Worry about thread starter. Worry more about his crew. Wish them the best.
Came to same conclusion as earlier poster. Went with two D400s above a hard cored bimini ( where solar is mounted). Figure won't even hear the generators when sleeping in the cockpit at anchor. Research and word of mouth suggest the D400 is among the best at the moment. Get back to you guys in a year or two with result. Been told to be careful interfacing multiple sources ( solar/wind/water/alternator etc.) Seems if not done correctly can really screw things up.Might want to look at Phillipi web site. Need a sink for excess energy as well.
Old 01-27-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Irwin32 View Post
I don't appreciate this lack of respect for to me, is a very serious subject. I'm going to be out in the middle of the ocean depending on a good (hopefully) product. I don't think this off-topic joking is cute, funny or helpful. I'll be traveling from Texas to Panama and my life may depend on how I set up my boat and which products I purchase.

If you're here to play, PLEASE do it in THAT part of the forum.
If I was disrespecting YOU Irwin32 in your blue water capable boat I would have said "Irwin32" at a table with stink potters.

My boat is for sale.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.