SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Best wind generator? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/96064-best-wind-generator.html)

71Irwin32 01-25-2013 02:24 AM

Best wind generator?

I didn't have much luck searching for this topic so:

I'd like to hear from people that've owned different wind generators, which brand and model has held up the best, in the 400 to 600 watt range.

Thanks!
Ed

rkwright 01-26-2013 09:54 AM

Re: Best wind generator?

Superwind, hands down. Check out Practical Sailor's review, if you don't believe me.

I had a KISS, which at the time I liked well enough, but then on my next boat I got a Superwind and the noise difference was amazing. And now they claim they have redesigned the blades to decrease noise further! I haven't seen this new model.

Negative: expensive.

norahs arc 01-26-2013 10:05 AM

I have operated two Southwest Wind Power 400 watt units for over ten years. One is running fine but last year some hunter shot the other one and I haven't taken it down to repari yet. (too busy sailing when the weather is suitable!)

71Irwin32 01-26-2013 10:55 AM

The Superwind doesn't seem to be very available, but where I'm finding it, very expensive is an understatement.

Southwest is easy to find. I saw one review talking about some overheating wire connections (probably poor installation), but only one.

deniseO30 01-26-2013 10:59 AM

best wind generator = 3 stink potters at a table with 3 blowboaters and a few beers shared.

Minnewaska 01-26-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deniseO30 (Post 981328)
best wind generator = 3 stink potters at a table with 3 blowboaters and a few beers shared.

Gale force generator

SV John Galt 01-26-2013 05:31 PM

Best wind generator?

I love my Superwind. I got mine through West.
The Miami Show is coming up and they'll probably be there. Get it there. Very quiet

71Irwin32 01-26-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deniseO30 (Post 981328)

I don't appreciate this lack of respect for to me, is a very serious subject. I'm going to be out in the middle of the ocean depending on a good (hopefully) product. I don't think this off-topic joking is cute, funny or helpful. I'll be traveling from Texas to Panama and my life may depend on how I set up my boat and which products I purchase.

If you're here to play, PLEASE do it in THAT part of the forum.

Minnewaska 01-26-2013 10:27 PM

Lighten up

71Irwin32 01-27-2013 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 981626)
Lighten up

BS! Ya'll think this is a joke? I'm going to be by myself a few hundred miles from land, you think I'm playing?

If you don't have a contribution, then go play somewhere else and quit wasting everybody else's time. Some of us actually want to do some serious sailing.

When I ran a search for this topic all I could find was off topic drivel instead of viable data. Responders are moving to PMs in order to avoid the bs being posted by people that don't care about anything but entertaining themselves. Get out of here and go start your own posts. Let us get down to the business of sailing.