Old 01-25-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Fuel Cell

Anyone use this, looks interesting.
Fuel Cell Systems | Marine Fuel Cells
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Fuel Cell

A friend installed one of these on his Bene 361 last year and now has a full season and a bit on it - he's very satisfied. Quiet, works whenever needed rain or shine, night or day, clean tidy installation and it uses less fuel than he expected. Ideal setup, it would seem, for our area where in certain areas sunshine is less than reliable, negating much of solar's effectiveness.

There's a fairly hefty buy-in (at the present time), but after you factor in a full solar system, arches/supports/etc the difference may not be so great. I suspect his setup ran pretty close to $8K installed..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-26-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

These are a very cool idea. Particularly for boaters that don't want the windmill, solar panel look for don't have the room. Not sure they are ideal for the long term cruiser, but for a week or two, they seem ideal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-26-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
These are a very cool idea. Particularly for boaters that don't want the windmill, solar panel look for don't have the room. Not sure they are ideal for the long term cruiser, but for a week or two, they seem ideal.
The methanol fuel cannisters (about $60) are a little smaller than a jerry can, and can last up to a couple of weeks depending on demand, of course. The worry of availability once you get away from established major centers would be key.

Long term solar is obviously less expensive given you're stuck with supplying fuel to the cell forever, but in areas where the sun isn't reliable, and over winter short daylight seasons I can see the attraction of this setup.

But I doubt there's a fuel dealer in the Galapagos, for example....

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 01-26-2013
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

Interesting. So you have to use their methanol? Purity issue?

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 01-26-2013
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by arf145 View Post
Interesting. So you have to use their methanol? Purity issue?
Not sure about that, but I'd assume there were fuel specs that would need to be met by whomever was the supplier...

Old 01-27-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

arf, I'd bet they follow the example of Eveready and Gillette. Give away the razor (flashlight) then sell the batteries (blades).

If you make the warranty on the fuel cell (five year life?) dependent on using only the certified methanol, you get a five year revenue stream for selling fuel. And a captive audience.

I look at fuel cells and all I see is "electrochemical battery". Nice if the energy density works out, but to me it is still just a battery that is getting recharged without all the noise or wires. Using a flammable fuel instead.
Old 01-27-2013

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

This is a nice looking product but uses methanol and it's availability is restricted... they are working on the ethanol version which is promising and of course ethanol is more widely available even at your local hardware store!

Nick
Old 01-28-2013
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road

I think that looks like a promising device for the near future. Imagine not having a big genny downstairs, or as pointed out, a whirring windmill, or a bunch of awkward solar panels. Or maybe the ideal installation will be a combination. I get the feeling these will be commonplace in the next few years as production ramps up and costs go down.

I don't agree with the razor marketing theory. Their fuel is terribly expensive, but the machinery is in no way cheap at this time either. Most people wouldn't use enough fuel to make the Razor marketing theory work.
Old 01-28-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Acually, Ritchard, razor blade marketing has changed. They no longer give away razors, or flashlights. Discount coupons and special bundles, yes, but no more freebies. They've found out that you can SELL the product (like the fuel cells) and still have a captive market for the refills. The Black Art of Marketing. Companies that master it in any one of many ways, make good profits. I'm sure the purity of the fuel source DOES count for something. I just get an allergic response to proprietary special solutions and bundles.