DIY - discussion on building a DIY hookah diving compressor - Page 10 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013
Otter

DivingOtter is on a distinguished road
Re: DIY - discussion on building a DIY hookah diving compressor

Dont forget if you ran out of air at 6 feet and held your breath on the way up in a panic you will most likely be in a serious world of hurt. If you dont know what im talking about look up Boyles law and Pulmonary Overinflation.
Free Radical likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2013

Yachts66 is on a distinguished road

True, but if you can't do a free ascent from 6 feet, you should not be using diving equipment either. Or 10 feet or 20 feet or even 30 feet in my view. That's just me though.

SV Mariah's Child - Roberts 45 in steel
Old 02-27-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Not related to last post, just a thought:
When you free ascend you take in air at sea level so it would be impossible to cause issues like you would see with tank or hookah diving. I think that is the biggest risk with hookah diving without a diving cert, you really need to understand the problems that can occur if you hold your breath on ascent. My dive instructor did the classic example of a balloon filled at depth then released to the surface. It got the point across well.
Old 02-27-2013
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

I have a Brownies. Dumped the float and base, put it in the dinghy, much less stuff to store and carry around. Friends use a $130 generator ,hooked up to a $149 oil less compressor for hull cleaning. Works well. Raise the air intake as high as possible on an extension tube. A snorkel with a purge valve works as well as a regulator. Old Johnson Air buoys used that principle.
Old 03-02-2013

Yachts66 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysails View Post
When you free ascend you take in air at sea level so it would be impossible to cause issues like you would see with tank or hookah diving.
I'm not being picky, but this statement is technically wrong and dangerous. A free ascent is defined as: "An emergency procedure used to return to the surface. The diver swims or floats to the surface while breathing all the way up." If you hold your breath at any time during a free ascent you are placing yourself in harms way. The balloon example is a good one and if nothing else highlights why no one should use compressed air diving equipment without proper instruction in it's use. Which I think was the point of this post, but unfortunately the wrong term was used.

Free diving is when you take your breath at the surface, hold it, and dive to depth, then return to the surface still holding your breath. In this scenario, there is no danger of an embolism since compressed gases were not introduced into the lungs.

I think we can all now agree that diving in the absence of proper training is a very dangerous thing to do. I think we can also agree that building ones own diving rig is not small undertaking and care must be taken to use equipment and materials that are up to the intended task. Beyond that, I also think we are, at this point, beating a dead horse.
DivingOtter likes this.

SV Mariah's Child - Roberts 45 in steel
Old 03-07-2013
Otter

DivingOtter is on a distinguished road

Ill stick with my Kirby Morgan thank you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-07-2013

rcontrera is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivingOtter View Post
Ill stick with my Kirby Morgan thank you
A GREAT piece of equipment! However, it is designed for commercial divers and this thread is all about hooka diving. Most of the people here are just doing a little light maintenance like hull wipe, inspecting or zinc changes. or maybe they are more interested in looking at pretty fish.

You, on the other hand are a working guy and diving is basically your way of getting to work.
Old 05-13-2013

utzdawg is on a distinguished road

Really, dont ever use a normal air compressor for an air source. First off, commercial offshore diving services all use deisel dive compressors that have various engines (325, all the way up to 5120's) which the output in volume at depth is calculated by a very knowledgeable person. Second, they are specifically designed with water traps( air filters) to screen out that bad **** such as bugs, rust, you name it. Thirdly, they use two oils. One.for the engine that powers the air pistons and then a breathable synthetic oil for the actual lubrication of the pistons. You can buy seperate volume tanks, engines and compressors to piece them together which would be alot cheaper then paying 8 grand on a beat down 325.
Also. Another alternative would be just to get an airpack of hp bottles. You can rent whatever medium youd like however at 14 ft - 50 foot youll only need air, unless you do inwater deco stops using 02. Thats a whole nother ball park. Get yourself two hp bottles, have them professionally inspected. Then order 3/8' inch air hose for a dive umbilical. Youll need a air regulatlor for the bottle manifold and of course the second stage for your mouth. If you call divers supply in belle chase la they can tell exactly what you needs. The hp air bottle rack is always emergency air for divers offshore. This would be a more realistic way to surface supply dive without spending a fortune.
Old 05-14-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by utzdawg View Post
Really, dont ever use a normal air compressor for an air source.
All commercially-available, recreational-level hookahs are based on repurposed oilless air compressors and they are 100% safe for surface supplied air. Virtually the entire hull cleaning industry uses them and has for decades. I have been using various rigs I've built myself for over 18 years and 20,000+ dives. To infer that it is unsafe to use any air source that hasn't been vetted by the hard hat commercial dive industry is ludicrous. The guy is talking about cleaning his boat bottom, for Christ's sake. He doesn't need an $8000 diesel compressor.
Old 05-14-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

My limited understanding is that all of the modern "oil-less" compressors are in fact oil free (except possibly manufacturing/machining traces) because they use teflon rings instead of oiled ones. And that is why the small tire-inflator types easily overheat and burn out, from the teflon melting if they are run too long.

Not a question of oil type of quality, just a different piece of equipment that simply does not use oil at all, so it can't contaminate the airflow.

Assuming it has properly cleaned of manufacturing traces during assembly.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.