DIY - discussion on building a DIY hookah diving compressor - Page 11 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2013
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Re: DIY - discussion on building a DIY hookah diving compressor

Just a quick question about holding one's breath on an ascent after breathing compressed air. Wouldn't one naturally want to exhale as the chest expands? I've been a diver for almost 30 years and a snorkeler for almost 45 years. I've compacted the air in my lungs on the surface for a deeper free dive and it's difficult to slurp in a little more air. It's hard for me to imagine someone holding their breath and popping their lungs without warning signs from the body, but I read the warnings all the time on the internet.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
Just a quick question about holding one's breath on an ascent after breathing compressed air. Wouldn't one naturally want to exhale as the chest expands?
It's not natural to want to exhale as you ascend. You have to train yourself to do it until it becomes second nature.
Old 05-14-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

erps-
Have you ever overeaten "until you were stuffed" perhaps at a holiday dinner? Stomache is fully distended, stuffed, but folks keep eating.
Similar for the lungs, they may be full but someone is tense and afraid to exhale and lose air. IIRC the lungs can burst with as little as a 4psi pressure difference, and the kicker is that normally there may be "thin spots" in the lungs, that present no problem when there is no pressure differential on them. But with compressed air, if a thin spot blows out, now you've got pneumothorax and a problem.
Akin to the way you may have been told not to hold your nose & mouth when you sneeze, because your lungs can blow out your eardrums.

I don't conciously exhale while surfacing, but I had problems learning to control my breath with an open nose in the water. Eventually "trained" my throat to just hold back the water pressure and on the way up, to allow air to leak out as it needs to. Which is probably not describing it accurately, but the air goes out and the pressure stays balanced.

Last edited by hellosailor; 05-14-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-14-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

The concern over expanding air is not that your lung will explode like a popped balloon, although, that would happen in the extreme. Its the expansion of air in the tiniest sacks, the alveoli, where the blood-gas exchange takes place. Burst a few of those, introduce air into the blood stream and you would be fortunate with paralysis from the embolism. The odds of heart failure or a stroke are what could kill you. As the air expands in those little sacs, its need a place to vent to or they will rupture long before you feel your lungs are over inflated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-14-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Its the expansion of air in the tiniest sacks, the alveoli, where the blood-gas exchange takes place.
Exactly. And that can happen long before you ever feel like your lungs are full.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

sandboy is on a distinguished road

I had to comment on this forum My sailing Club has built and are in use by a number of yachts the Boyu Aquarium Pump 17.4PSI, Hose made for breathing 30meters and a normal snorkle with a relief valve near the mouth piece most good snorkles come with this WE ARE NOT TRYING TO BUILD A HOOKAH we just want to dive under our boats to do maitence including cleaning the bottom replacement anodes etc the system only works to three meters but thats all we need the worse thing to happen is it stops and in that case you swim to the surface remember we are only down 2 meters most of the time the pump ,pumps air along the hose and all excess comes out the relief valve so no regulator is needed you just use the snorkle as if you was swimming on the surface forget all the do gooders here who think we are building a pressurized system just remember this system is being used for some years now with no body growing a second head or dieing mine has stopped once and as i said i just surfaced
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

sandboy, I looked up Boyu and it was hard to tell which pump you are using. I hope it's at least oil free. The problem, as I see it, with home made stuff, is the quality of the air. Unless you can't breath it at all, it's highly unlikely that one is going to notice any ill effect at the time of use. In fact, if there were damage to your lungs, you may not know for a decade or more. The inhalation of asbestos fibers, for example, can take 15 years to precipitate lung cancer. Not that I'm suggesting they are in your pump, I'm only making the point that surfacing alone is not a sufficient safety statement.

I did notice this unit, which looks interesting. I will be curious what our FastBottoms thinks of it.

Hailea ACO-007 12V DC 140L/min Air Compressor Pump [ACO-007] - $149.00 : BOYU Australia!, Aquarium & Pond Supplies, Fish Pumps & Filters

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

rcontrera is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandboy View Post
WE ARE NOT TRYING TO BUILD A HOOKAH
You actually ARE building a hookah. By pumping air down to you at depth, you are having to overcome water pressure. Yes, at two meters it is only about 3 psi but that is still pressurized air. Your snorkel "relief valve" (actually a drain valve for clearing water) is a very simple regulator since pressure on the inside has to be higher than the water pressure to open.

However, that little bit of pressure is enough to do lung damage if not exhaled while ascending.

As for the air quality ... the human body is pretty resilient so, while breathing oily air can cause a type of pneumonia, the oil film in the lungs can eventually clear out in non smokers. For smokers ... well ... you don't really care about your lungs anyway so go ahead and breath oil too!
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcontrera View Post
......while breathing oily air can cause a type of pneumonia, the oil film in the lungs can eventually clear out in non smokers. For smokers ... well ... you don't really care about your lungs anyway so go ahead and breath oil too!
I've often wondered how many smokers have watched a loved one die of lung cancer. It's long, slow, excruciating and agonizing. The sufferer never gets a break.

I will pass on having a type of pneumonia or waiting for my healthy lungs to clear an oil film layer.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 3 Weeks Ago

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandboy View Post
...forget all the do gooders here who think we are building a pressurized system...
Wow. Just wow. How incredibly mis-informed can a human being be?

No matter what you may (mistakenly) believe, you ARE using a pressurized system. You ARE breathing pressurized air. And you most definitely ARE at risk of an air embolism.

I'm very happy to hear that you have been so incredibly lucky, and no one has died yet using this Rube Goldberg system of yours. But then, almost every week, someone does win the lottery, so luck can be a funny thing. One of these days your luck is going to run out.

To anyone else reading this... Please, GOD!, do not make the mistake of doing anything even remotely as dumb as to cobble together a system like this, and most especially do not delude yourself into thinking that this is not a "hookah" or that it is not using pressurized air! SHEESH!