DIY - discussion on building a DIY hookah diving compressor - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Re: DIY - discussion on building a DIY hookah diving compressor

12v electric diaphragm air pumps are readily available from aquarium shops.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2013

AirborneSF is on a distinguished road

I have a 30ft hose on one of my tanks, I carry on the boat. I have a yoke to hook (2) tanks together, but haven't had the need. Remember, even a 'hooker' rig has 'bottom' time, don't get into trouble by thinking you can STAY down forever,(like cleaning a couple of hulls at one time). .02
Old 01-28-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

If you mean decompression time, its all but impossible to have an issue when your max depth may be 6 or 7 ft.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-28-2013
Canuck Sailor

canucksailorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
12v electric diaphragm air pumps are readily available from aquarium shops.
Are there actually pumps of that type that are adequate for this sort of thing? I'll admit, I'm picturing the little pump that ran my 15 gallon aquarium...

Cuba - Forbidden Paradise

Old 01-28-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Let's slow down a bit here.

If you are unfamiliar with safe diving principles, then please take the time to learn them. It's not rocket science, and ultimately can make the difference in whether or not you injure yourself or do long term damage to your body. If you don't want to shell out the money to get certified, at least find the texts that go with a cert course that will lay everything out for you. At a minimum, learn how to read dive tables and know what the concept of bottom time really means.

If you want to go with a remote tank set up, then most places are going to want to see a cert card when you take your tanks in for a fill.

A couple of things mentioned got my attention.

Quote:
There is one drawback to this idea: You need the weight of the tank to actually get and stay under water; some even need extra lead besides the tank.
Without that weight, you bob up like a cork, or have to paddle like crazy, just to stay under water.
This is actually incorrect. Buoyancy control when under water is a continuous process. One of the forces at play is the air tank (others are the water density, your own body composition, the amount of gear you carry, the size and type of exposure protection you wear and at what depth, etc.) When a dive tank is full, it is negatively buoyant -- i.e. is acts as a weight. As the tank empties, it becomes negatively buoyant -- i.e., it acts as a float. Using a remote air supply removes the changing buoyancy variable of the tank.

Quote:
I have a 30ft hose on one of my tanks, I carry on the boat. I have a yoke to hook (2) tanks together, but haven't had the need. Remember, even a 'hooker' rig has 'bottom' time, don't get into trouble by thinking you can STAY down forever,(like cleaning a couple of hulls at one time). .02
AirborneSF and Minnewaska are both right. Here's a table that shows the increasing water pressure at the depths we're talking about:

As you can see, even at the relatively shallow depths we are talking about you need to consider overall increased nitrogen absorption. But as Minne mentions, rarely does the absorption level reach something that must be taken into account. Most recreational dive tables set 120 minutes as a max bottom time for depth of less than 1 atmosphere (1atm, or <33').

________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Old 01-28-2013
Canuck Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
If you mean decompression time, its all but impossible to have an issue when your max depth may be 6 or 7 ft.
The danger would be in surfacing without exhaling more than a concern with decom times. It's possible, even at very shallow depths, to cause an air embolism.
davidpm likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to canucksailorguy For This Useful Post:
davidpm (09-25-2014)
Old 01-28-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopher2 View Post
1. gasoline pancake oiless compressor with 2 tanks. 150psi
Mild steel accumulator tanks kept in a marine environment will become unsuitable for breathing in short order. Stainless or plastic only.

Quote:
3. ingress air filter and distance hose (to ensure you don't get any CO into the lines)
Mounting the intake filter on a tall snorkle is the safest bet.

Quote:
5. lowes air line spliced with regulator (1st stage=150psi)
Never ever use pneumatic tool hose as breathing hose. You should only use hose rated to provide clean breathing air.

Quote:
6. normal diving regulator.
Maybe. Not all off the shelf 2nd stage regulators will perform well in a hookah rig.

Quote:
thats cheaping it out at about $600 all said.
They're your lungs and it's your life. But breathing compressed air underwater is not the time to be "cheaping out." Are you even SCUBA certified?
MedSailor likes this.
Old 01-28-2013
Canuck Sailor

Good points Porfin and fstbttm. Seems there are people posting here who have 'resort' certifications rather than real knowledge.

Old 01-28-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Propane makes sense as a motor fuel when you need a clean burn, i.e .when the motor will be used once every six months and then put away,and you don't want to clean it out, pickle it, worry about varnish and gums forming in the fuel.

But if you're going to use the motor more frequently, propane also has the lowest energy density and will be the most expensive fuel you can burn. Propane for the air compressor? Sounds like a waste of time and money if you are going to use that compressor regularly, i.e. once a month or more often to clean the bottom.

Of course if you have propane and diesel onboard, it still may make more sense than going out for gasoline. Damned hard to find SMALL diesel-powered anythings.
Old 01-28-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Regarding Propane vs Gasoline vs Diesel vs Electric; for this application, I would prefer an electric pump versus one powered by any form of internal combustion engine (ICE). The ICE will need an oil change at least yearly to remain operational. Electric should not.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.