DIY - discussion on building a DIY hookah diving compressor - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013

Navigator Wannabe is on a distinguished road
Re: DIY - discussion on building a DIY hookah diving compressor

One breath is roughly one gallon of air.
You will want about 15 of these per minute.
In human breathing cycles, not continuous flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
12v electric diaphragm air pumps are readily available from aquarium shops.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2013
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road

PLEASE DO NOT BE CHEAP AND STUPID.

I know a LOT about scuba diving. I have logged hundreds of dives, in all sorts of conditions, from warm water to deep water to under-ice diving, using recreational scuba gear through Technical diving gear and Rebreathers. As such I am qualified to comment here.

I cannot tell you how bad an idea it is to use the wrong compressor to supply breathing air. It was suggested above that using the Harbor Freight kind of compressor made it as though you were breathing WD40 with each breath. I would much rather breathe WD40 than compressor oil - which you will invariably be breathing if you use a garage compressor (this is not to say that I have any interest in breathing WD40). In the short term, the chance of a blackout from breathing atomized oil is pretty high. In the long term, just go ahead and pick whatever serious chronic lung malady you'd prefer to die from.

Fish tank compressors! Are you people on glue?

Of the ideas in the thread above, the best one for bang for the buck is a very long hose on a scuba tank on deck. This is a fairly foolproof method that can be done very cheaply. With good quality Craigslist gear (have it serviced), I would think you could do it for a couple hundred plus the cost of a custom hose. Two caveats to this. First, someone needs to stay on deck to spot you, and monitor your air usage. Running out of breathing gas, even at 6 feet, could end up a hazardous occurrence. Second, this method does not excuse you from learning the basics of recreational diving. Just how stupid do you think you'd look at your funeral if you drowned under your boat 'cuz you were being a tool? Besides being scuba certified is cool. Imagine the extra fun on your next warm water vacation?!

Please, if you feel an overwhelming need to be this kind of cheap and stupid, sit down and shoot yourself. It's much cheaper and more efficient.
neverknow and wadias like this.

Last edited by Ritchard; 01-28-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-28-2013
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

I've done the research on this years ago and even set up a rig and breathed of it (on land) for a while. Here is the problem in a nutshell:

Setting this up safely looks easier than it is. What will get you killed here is not what you don't know (because you can look that up) it's what you don't know you don't know.

I'll try and explain. By nature I am an iconoclast. If I'm told that there is only one way to do things, I immediately feel that that is a challenge and attempt to re-invent the wheel. That's just me. I also don't usually buy the argument that "it has to be certified to be safe" or "there are special parts in there." With this application I was/am wrong.

It seems like a simple engineering problem to build one (and basically it is) but when I tested my theory and congratulated myself on my success, I didn't know that industrial hoses break down and will cause me to inhale rubber. I didn't know that the "oil-less" compressor actually has oil in it, or that he tank would rust.

There is also the SCUBA issue. It seems like you should be able to breathe off this thing and swim around right? Wrong. If you're checking out your anchor at a nice shallow depth of 14 feet, and you decide to swim to the surface slowly without exhaling your lungs will rupture. That's the air you breathed in at depth expanding. Yet, if you took the same breath at the surface and dove down and back up, you'd be fine. These simple, non-intuitive issues will get you killed.

Getting SCUBA certified is easy and I think it would be a requirement for anyone to safely use a hookah setup. Do yourself a favor and get certified.

As far as the engineering, it can be done, just don't cheap out and do your homework. The second stage of a scuba regulator is set (but adjustable) at 120PSI which, is coincidentally the same PSI that many compressors run at. It's a simple $2 fitting to connect the 2nd stage of the regulator to an industrial hose (that's what I did and thought I was being safe) but in order to be safe you need to carefully engineer the whole system. Aspiration pneumonitis or lipoid pneumonia is not a great way to die.

MedSailor
davidpm likes this.
Old 01-28-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
I didn't know that the "oil-less" compressor actually has oil in it, or that he tank would rust.
I don't know that that is the case. I have certainly never heard that before. But let's assume it is. For hull cleaning, there is no need to have accumulator tanks and the associated plumbing. A high-quality compressor (not some Chinese-built POS from Home Depot) will run continuously for many, many hours without the need to shut down or cool off. Further, at the depths we are talking about, the air hose will hold enough reserve air to get to the surface easily in the event the compressor shuts down for some reason.

I do not recommend using a hardware store compressor as the base for hookah system, but I know plenty of hull cleaners who do, with no ill effects AFAIK.

Last edited by Fstbttms; 01-28-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-28-2013
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
I don't know that that is the case. I have certainly never heard that before. But let's assume it is. For hull cleaning, there is no need to have accumulator tanks and the associated plumbing. A high-quality compressor (not some Chinese-built POS from Home Depot) will run continuously for many, many hours without the need to shut down or cool off. Further, at the depths we are talking about, the air hose will hold enough reserve air to get to the surface easily in the event the compressor shuts down for some reason.

I do not recommend using a hardware store compressor as the base for hookah system, but I know plenty of hull cleaners who do, with no ill effects AFAIK.

The oil I was referring to was the oil used in manufacturing that was alluded to in a previous post. I could be wrong about that part. When I was designing my system years ago I had planned on putting a filter of some kind in-line but didn't feel confident that it would work that well.

MedSailor
Old 01-28-2013

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road

You can buy a hookah outfit off Ebay done ready to use for less then you are talking about & it's set up for two! Why waste your time when you could be Sailing!...Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 01-28-2013

stopher2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Interesting. Why propane and not leave it running on gas?
gasoline needs filtering. gas goes bad over time in storage. carbs gum up.

propane can be transferred from 5ga tanks to camping sized propane carriers (refills)....which is convenient to carry around for use with a small dingy outboard or small engine like one used for a compressor.

YES ! activated carbon filter is needed with regular changes.
YES ! openwater diving training is RECOMMENDED. None of that 2 hour "saftey" crap on cruise liners either (real courses in PADI or NAUI are good).....it is your life and [pressure X volume] changes kill many divers and injure many more so don't skimp on training in scuba or hukah diving.
YES ! compressor MUST be oilless !
YES...YES...YES !
Old 01-28-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Stopher,

By the time you do all that you are right back into the range of a commercial system. Maybe you can save a few bucks here and there, but it won't be a lot. Add in the value of your time and even financially it becomes a questionable deal, add in the risk of DIY versus commercial and for me at least it's a no brainer.
Old 01-30-2013

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road

How about a simple 12V air pump (3-4psi) for inflating dinghy with a long flexible conrugated plastic conduit (for cables) end with a snorkle with blow-off vent at bottom and viola, a simple hooka. good for 6feet water and is over pressure relief by water pressure.
Old 01-30-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by trantor12020 View Post
How about a simple 12V air pump (3-4psi) for inflating dinghy with a long flexible conrugated plastic conduit (for cables) end with a snorkle with blow-off vent at bottom and viola, a simple hooka. good for 6feet water and is over pressure relief by water pressure.
A pump like the one you describe would be completely inadequate for supplying air to a diver. In addition, the hose you recommend is certainly dangerous to breathe from. And what- you want him to duct tape a snorkle to the end of the hose?