DIY - discussion on building a DIY hookah diving compressor - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road
Re: DIY - discussion on building a DIY hookah diving compressor

Darwin.
Navigator Wannabe likes this.
Old 01-30-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by trantor12020 View Post
How about a simple 12V air pump (3-4psi) for inflating dinghy with a long flexible conrugated plastic conduit (for cables) end with a snorkle with blow-off vent at bottom and viola, a simple hooka. good for 6feet water and is over pressure relief by water pressure.
My neighbor tried exactly that. The PSI might be enough to attach to a regulator but you need a certain amount of cubic feet per minute of air. Those small tire pumps have the psi but not the CFM.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Med-
The purpose of an "oil free" compressor is to avoid contaminating paint jobs with oil, which will cause "fisheyes" and other blemishes in many paints. So if a compressor is sold as oil-free but still has traces of manufacturing (tool) oils in it, it is going to screw up the first paint job and that's going to be a problem. I'd expect that at Horror Freight but not from any reputable source.

Tire pumps: Yeah, but if you line up three dozen of them and plumb them into a manifold....it still usually only takes a couple of hours before the teflon rings in them melt from overheating, they're only designed to run 20? minutes to inflate one tire or raft. Which ought to be enough time to clean the bottom of an average canoe or row-boat, whatever else draws well less than six feet of draft. (G)

Now, on behalf of my clients (Crustaceans, Scavengers, and BottomFeeders International Brotherhood Local 157W, proud co-sponsors of the Darwin Awards for 2013) I must ask you all to stop advising people not to do something cheap and stupid. Every time you save a life, my clients lose a meal. Hey, BottomFeeders got a right to eat too!
arf145 likes this.

Last edited by hellosailor; 01-30-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-30-2013
A palapa awaits me...

Razcar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Razcar

Ritchard, I love your candid response. Love it!

Old 01-30-2013

Navigator Wannabe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
A pump like the one you describe would be completely inadequate for supplying air to a diver. In addition, the hose you recommend is certainly dangerous to breathe from. And what- you want him to duct tape a snorkle to the end of the hose?
I think you are wrong: This is probably the only of the suggested setups that
  • could work (sufficient throughput at low pressure)
  • super cheap ($20 range) and
  • not inherently dangerous (other than the normal dangers of scuba snorkeling), i.e. oil free

Of course it is not going to last forever, but so what? Buy three, you need dinghy pumps anyways. If it fails, you just surface.

How in the world is the hose going to kill him again?
And of course you don't use duct tape to to attach the snorkel; you use cable ties!!

Old 01-30-2013

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road

You people should check the air that you're breathing now, or is it what your smoking!..Dale
Navigator Wannabe likes this.
Where God got it done!
Old 01-30-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

A standard tire pump puts out about 1cfm, figure you need roughly 15cfm at shallow depths while diving, so all you need is $450 of tire pumps to deliver the volume you need (at $30 each). Plus the hose and manifold to connect them, so lets say $500 for your air source...
Old 01-30-2013
A palapa awaits me...

Razcar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Razcar

.... a 50 gallon drum, 10 motivated gerbils, 4 feet of twine, a rusty pipe, and 12 lemons.... that ought to do it.

Seriously, for the risks involved, a few bucks for legit gear in this department is money well spent.

Old 01-30-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Personally I support the idea of making your own hookah setup and I may still try and make my own again some day, the problem is that you HAVE to get it right. Many folks have made watermakers using pressure washers and industrial pumps with great results but if you drink bad water you get the runs. If you do the hookah wrong you die.

How does inhaling rubber kill you? Let me count the ways. Most likely is drowning. Inhale a serious irritant deep into your lungs and YOU WILL COUGH like crazy. You may vomit. Think you can handle the worst coughing and vomiting fit of your life at 30ft of depth? Well, technically you can vomit into a SCUBA regulator and you "could" survive without drowning, but you will only have a chance if you've taken a scuba class. This is the kind of thing they teach.

Are you going to safely swim to the surface while continually exhaling in a controlled manner as they teach you in scuba class to avoid a punctured lung or air embolism? If you bolt for the surface and can't control your breathing you get a punctured lung, air embolism or both.

So you make it to the surface. Great, now you have aspiration pneumonia, and if the particle is deep enough and stay there, you have pneumonitis. As long as you have access to steroids, antibiotics, diuretics (for the pulmonary edema) and a ventilator you'll be fine.

Some oil left over in the compressor or on the o-ring you used? See paragraph above. The inside of the lungs are coated with surfactant (soap). They really don't like oil. It takes a lot less inhaled oil to ruin your lugs than it does to ruin paint.

Now that I've said all that, I have breathed from an industrial compressor, through an industrial hose attached to a SCUBA regulator and lived to tell about it. The problem is that I don't know which compressors I can buy (cheaply) and which hoses I can buy (cheaply) are going to be safe.

Perhaps you can get the air tested, perhaps you can do A LOT of really good research, but you really need to do one or the other or both. You can't just buy off the shelf industrial stuff and expect this to go well. It might, but it might not, and the very real consequence is death.

I know a local boat diver that uses an industrial compressor and a long diving hose and is still alive. His setup is okay, but it's hard to know which ones are and which aren't. Even if you bought the same brand/model as he did, they may have outsourced parts to someone else and it may all have changed. It can be done, but tread lightly and know the risks. Take a SCUBA class, do your homework and/or get the air tested and definitely try it out in your living room for hours before going deep with it.

Lets watch a video of untrained divers using a hookah setup in very shallow water.

Did everyone notice how the first thing he did was remove the regulator? That is a reflex to try and move things away from your face in order to get more air. Without training that normal panic reflex (and others) will get you killed.

Be safe, and if anyone does figure out how to do it safely please post a detailed how-to!

MedSailor
Minnewaska likes this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.

Last edited by MedSailor; 01-30-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-30-2013

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Superior Sailor View Post
You people should check the air that you're breathing now, or is it what your smoking!..Dale
with the kind of air pollution I doubt its any different from what we're smoking ...