DIY - discussion on building a DIY hookah diving compressor - Page 8 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Re: DIY - discussion on building a DIY hookah diving compressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
Is it going to be crush resistant at pressure?
Good question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Man, I think I would save my pennies and go this route. Life is too precious. Additionally, as I understand it, the person in the pictures provides the needed private instruction. Now you can't beat that.

Hookamax Dive Systems
Old 02-12-2013

neverknow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysails View Post
as I understand it, the person in the pictures provides the needed private instruction. Now you can't beat that.

Hookamax Dive Systems
Those tanks certainly look big enough....

Old 02-13-2013

Yachts66 is on a distinguished road

Hose for a hookah system I'm thinking about.

Don't anticipate going more than 10m or so, so I don't think the hose will crush, it's very similar to standard air compressor hose you find at HD, but is made of more human friendly materials and is clean.....or so they tell me.

SV Mariah's Child - Roberts 45 in steel
Old 02-13-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachts66 View Post

Don't anticipate going more than 10m or so, so I don't think the hose will crush, it's very similar to standard air compressor hose you find at HD, but is made of more human friendly materials and is clean.....or so they tell me.
Post a link.
Old 02-13-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachts66 View Post

Maybe the thing to do here is to purchase the hose from a reputable dive shop. Not sure I would go the industrial hose route. IMHO
Old 02-13-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"from a reputable dive shop"
There are many industrial suppliers for the food service business, and they deal with FDA and similar approvals all the time. Dive shops? Reputable dive shops? There are some, but there are also a lot of gamesplayers at dive shops. Guys who bought into the dream, got bitter trying to make a profit, and now running their shop by any means they can. I know one that does a "VIP Plus" on every tank--including the modern steel ones it is not needed or suitable for. And he charges extra for it.
Then there are the hydro shops, who you would expect to be even more reputable than the dive shops since a hydro is so critical. Ever try to get a "plus" hydro on a tank? DOT says all a tech has to do is run the higher pressure, do the math, and stamp the tank if it passes. But no one will do that simple thing, apparently because the "+" punch tool would cost $125, and then they'd have to offer two different services with all the attendant chances for mixups. So they all (all) lie about how hard it is, or how regulated it is.
Reputable? Eh, the guys who worry about food inspectors sound more reputable to me.
Old 02-13-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"from a reputable dive shop"
There are many industrial suppliers for the food service business, and they deal with FDA and similar approvals all the time. Dive shops? Reputable dive shops? There are some, but there are also a lot of gamesplayers at dive shops. Guys who bought into the dream, got bitter trying to make a profit, and now running their shop by any means they can. I know one that does a "VIP Plus" on every tank--including the modern steel ones it is not needed or suitable for. And he charges extra for it.
Then there are the hydro shops, who you would expect to be even more reputable than the dive shops since a hydro is so critical. Ever try to get a "plus" hydro on a tank? DOT says all a tech has to do is run the higher pressure, do the math, and stamp the tank if it passes. But no one will do that simple thing, apparently because the "+" punch tool would cost $125, and then they'd have to offer two different services with all the attendant chances for mixups. So they all (all) lie about how hard it is, or how regulated it is.
Reputable? Eh, the guys who worry about food inspectors sound more reputable to me.
Yeah, hear ya on that one. The shops are really struggling out there. I have the same view on the whole marine industry. That was one of the reasons I got out of diving. May do it again once we relocate to warmer climes. It's just the fact of it being an extension of your lung's airway system. Not sure it is an area to skimp on. That's just me but I understand where you are coming from.

Last edited by kellysails; 02-13-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-13-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Back when I was doing a lot more diving than I do these days, I managed to do my part to keep these guys in business:

Scuba Equipment, Scuba Gear Scuba Diving Equipment Discount dive gear Snorkeling Equipment Wetsuits GoPro Cameras Cheap online

I'm not affiliated, but was always a satisfied customer. Quality gear at very competitive prices, great service, free shipping... What's not to like?
kellysails likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Old 02-13-2013

Yachts66 is on a distinguished road

PorFin, those guys don't carry Hookah stuff. Nice web site though.

I'm location challenged. I spend a good bit of my time now here in the Philippines, so it's not like I can run down to the local dive shop. Yes, we do have local dive shops, but they are mostly rental agencies with little equipment actually for sale and Hookah is a bad word because they make good money filling tanks! All of which adds a level of complexity to this process and is why I am looking at putting my own system together as there aren't any alternatives in these parts.....at least not at a price a normal person can afford.

SV Mariah's Child - Roberts 45 in steel

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.