SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   DIY - discussion on building a DIY hookah diving compressor (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/96141-diy-discussion-building-diy-hookah-diving-compressor.html)

stopher2 01-27-2013 02:26 PM

DIY - discussion on building a DIY hookah diving compressor

DIY concept for PROPANE driven Hookah diving compressor.

I am thinking that a DIY concept for a Hookah diving compressor might be interesting for cruisers.

A couple of initial ideas:
1. gasoline pancake oiless compressor with 2 tanks. 150psi
2. propane conversion kit for above compressor (another one for the dingy outboard)
3. ingress air filter and distance hose (to ensure you don't get any CO into the lines)
4. egress air filter (to ensure you don't get any oils or particles out of the tank)
5. lowes air line spliced with regulator (1st stage=150psi)
6. normal diving regulator.

thats cheaping it out at about $600 all said. I like the aluminum double tanks.
plus you get compressed air onboard for pneumatic tools ! ALL OPERATED ON PROPANE

MastUndSchotbruch 01-27-2013 03:08 PM

Re: DIY - discussion on building a DIY hookah diving compressor

Quote:

Originally Posted by stopher2 (Post 981853)
DIY concept for PROPANE driven Hookah diving compressor.

I am thinking that a DIY concept for a Hookah diving compressor might be interesting for cruisers.

A couple of initial ideas:
1. gasoline pancake oiless compressor with 2 tanks. 150psi
2. propane conversion kit for above compressor (another one for the dingy outboard)
3. ingress air filter and distance hose (to ensure you don't get any CO into the lines)
4. egress air filter (to ensure you don't get any oils or particles out of the tank)
5. lowes air line spliced with regulator (1st stage=150psi)
6. normal diving regulator.

thats cheaping it out at about $600 all said. I like the aluminum double tanks.
plus you get compressed air onboard for pneumatic tools ! ALL OPERATED ON PROPANE

Interesting. Why propane and not leave it running on gas?

kd3pc 01-27-2013 03:16 PM

you may search here and see the oft posts of this idea, and all the pros and cons.

Propane adds another layer of risk to the DIY, why not save up another $400 and buy a commercially available one, that has the proper components for safe breathing and a record of reliability.

If you insist on this, at least get properly trained on diving. And read up on labeled air lines for breathing and chafe.

Be safe.

Stumble 01-27-2013 04:03 PM

Along with air, in your system you will also be breathing in lubricating oil found in the air stream of tool compressors. You can do it, but its terrible for you... Pretty much like inhaling wd-40 every time you use it. This is part of why SCUBA compressors are so expensive, they use special engineering to ensure that no oil is transmitted to the tank, while many pneumatic tools rely on this oil to lubricate themselves.

Oil filters do not completely eliminate this unless they have been rated for breathable air. And when you look at the ones rated this way, you get really close to the $1,000 price for a commercial unit.

killarney_sailor 01-27-2013 04:19 PM

First of all, I should admit that I know next to nothing about dive equipment, but we ran into a cruiser who had an interesting device onboard for doing quick checks and repairs. He had taken a dive regulator and separated the primary and secondary stages of the regulator (if I understood his description). He left the primary stage attached to his tank, which stayed on deck while the secondary stage was attached to the mouthpiece by a hose long enough that he work on his keel or whatever. He said that this arrangement allowed him to get in the water much quicker than with tank he wore or setting up a hookah? Comments?

Minnewaska 01-27-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killarney_sailor (Post 981914)
First of all, I should admit that I know next to nothing about dive equipment, but we ran into a cruiser who had an interesting device onboard for doing quick checks and repairs. He had taken a dive regulator and separated the primary and secondary stages of the regulator (if I understood his description). He left the primary stage attached to his tank, which stayed on deck while the secondary stage was attached to the mouthpiece by a hose long enough that he work on his keel or whatever. He said that this arrangement allowed him to get in the water much quicker than with tank he wore or setting up a hookah? Comments?

It's a good idea. He didn't really do anything more than add a longer hose between the first and second stage regulators. They are naturally separate.

canucksailorguy 01-27-2013 09:32 PM

While in Cuba, I came across an interesting setup, used it in fact to change a prop. A former commercial diver had taken an electric air compressor, just a cheapie one probably worth about $110 at Northern, put a long hose and scuba mouthpiece on it, plugged it in at the dock and it worked just fine. Had to suck a bit harder than one might like if the job was a long one, but it gave me enough air to get 'er done.
No issues with oil, etc.
I've been thinking of setting up something similar for my own boat. Thoughts?

sushirama 01-27-2013 10:45 PM

the pancake compressors are oilless which makes them popular for that purpose. my buddies built one for mainly under hull work but I dont think they have used it for recreational purposes.

canucksailorguy 01-27-2013 10:57 PM

care to share details?

Navigator Wannabe 01-28-2013 04:07 AM

The first stage is always on the tank, the second in your mouth, connected to the first stage with a 3 ft hose.
He apparently replaced this hose with a longer one, allowing him to leave the tank on deck instead of carrying it on his back.
There is one drawback to this idea: You need the weight of the tank to actually get and stay under water; some even need extra lead besides the tank.
Without that weight, you bob up like a cork, or have to paddle like crazy, just to stay under water.

Quote:

Originally Posted by killarney_sailor (Post 981914)