Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013

stopher2 is on a distinguished road
DIY - discussion on building a DIY hookah diving compressor

DIY concept for PROPANE driven Hookah diving compressor.

I am thinking that a DIY concept for a Hookah diving compressor might be interesting for cruisers.

A couple of initial ideas:
1. gasoline pancake oiless compressor with 2 tanks. 150psi
2. propane conversion kit for above compressor (another one for the dingy outboard)
3. ingress air filter and distance hose (to ensure you don't get any CO into the lines)
4. egress air filter (to ensure you don't get any oils or particles out of the tank)
5. lowes air line spliced with regulator (1st stage=150psi)
6. normal diving regulator.

thats cheaping it out at about $600 all said. I like the aluminum double tanks.
plus you get compressed air onboard for pneumatic tools ! ALL OPERATED ON PROPANE
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Re: DIY - discussion on building a DIY hookah diving compressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopher2 View Post
DIY concept for PROPANE driven Hookah diving compressor.

I am thinking that a DIY concept for a Hookah diving compressor might be interesting for cruisers.

A couple of initial ideas:
1. gasoline pancake oiless compressor with 2 tanks. 150psi
2. propane conversion kit for above compressor (another one for the dingy outboard)
3. ingress air filter and distance hose (to ensure you don't get any CO into the lines)
4. egress air filter (to ensure you don't get any oils or particles out of the tank)
5. lowes air line spliced with regulator (1st stage=150psi)
6. normal diving regulator.

thats cheaping it out at about $600 all said. I like the aluminum double tanks.
plus you get compressed air onboard for pneumatic tools ! ALL OPERATED ON PROPANE
Interesting. Why propane and not leave it running on gas?
Old 01-27-2013

kd3pc is on a distinguished road

you may search here and see the oft posts of this idea, and all the pros and cons.

Propane adds another layer of risk to the DIY, why not save up another $400 and buy a commercially available one, that has the proper components for safe breathing and a record of reliability.

If you insist on this, at least get properly trained on diving. And read up on labeled air lines for breathing and chafe.

Be safe.
Old 01-27-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Along with air, in your system you will also be breathing in lubricating oil found in the air stream of tool compressors. You can do it, but its terrible for you... Pretty much like inhaling wd-40 every time you use it. This is part of why SCUBA compressors are so expensive, they use special engineering to ensure that no oil is transmitted to the tank, while many pneumatic tools rely on this oil to lubricate themselves.

Oil filters do not completely eliminate this unless they have been rated for breathable air. And when you look at the ones rated this way, you get really close to the $1,000 price for a commercial unit.
rugosa likes this.
Old 01-27-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
First of all, I should admit that I know next to nothing about dive equipment, but we ran into a cruiser who had an interesting device onboard for doing quick checks and repairs. He had taken a dive regulator and separated the primary and secondary stages of the regulator (if I understood his description). He left the primary stage attached to his tank, which stayed on deck while the secondary stage was attached to the mouthpiece by a hose long enough that he work on his keel or whatever. He said that this arrangement allowed him to get in the water much quicker than with tank he wore or setting up a hookah? Comments?
jppp likes this.
Old 01-27-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
First of all, I should admit that I know next to nothing about dive equipment, but we ran into a cruiser who had an interesting device onboard for doing quick checks and repairs. He had taken a dive regulator and separated the primary and secondary stages of the regulator (if I understood his description). He left the primary stage attached to his tank, which stayed on deck while the secondary stage was attached to the mouthpiece by a hose long enough that he work on his keel or whatever. He said that this arrangement allowed him to get in the water much quicker than with tank he wore or setting up a hookah? Comments?
It's a good idea. He didn't really do anything more than add a longer hose between the first and second stage regulators. They are naturally separate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-27-2013
Canuck Sailor

canucksailorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailorguy

While in Cuba, I came across an interesting setup, used it in fact to change a prop. A former commercial diver had taken an electric air compressor, just a cheapie one probably worth about $110 at Northern, put a long hose and scuba mouthpiece on it, plugged it in at the dock and it worked just fine. Had to suck a bit harder than one might like if the job was a long one, but it gave me enough air to get 'er done.
No issues with oil, etc.
I've been thinking of setting up something similar for my own boat. Thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cuba - Forbidden Paradise

Old 01-27-2013

sushirama is on a distinguished road

the pancake compressors are oilless which makes them popular for that purpose. my buddies built one for mainly under hull work but I dont think they have used it for recreational purposes.
Old 01-27-2013
Canuck Sailor

canucksailorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailorguy

care to share details?

Cuba - Forbidden Paradise

Old 01-28-2013

Navigator Wannabe is on a distinguished road

The first stage is always on the tank, the second in your mouth, connected to the first stage with a 3 ft hose.
He apparently replaced this hose with a longer one, allowing him to leave the tank on deck instead of carrying it on his back.
There is one drawback to this idea: You need the weight of the tank to actually get and stay under water; some even need extra lead besides the tank.
Without that weight, you bob up like a cork, or have to paddle like crazy, just to stay under water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post