Which winch? - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 7Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 Old 01-28-2013
Senior Member
 
SchockT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,428
Thanks: 1
Thanked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: Which winch?

I just replaced my primary winches last season. Winches CAN wear out if they are not maintained. On Lewmar winches the stainless pawls are held in sockets machined into the aluminum drum casting. Those sockets get loose and ovalled out, and eventually they can no longer keep the pawl captive and aligned. The end result is a catastrophic winch failure. If this happens at the wrong time it can also result in a broken arm for the person grinding!

I did my homework on all the winches before I settled on Andersens. There were comparable to the others in price but i got full SS rather than aluminum. The Andersen4 ribbed drum design gives superior grip compared to others, it is easier on the ropes because it doesn't rely on an abrasive surface for grip. Even if they are a bit more expensive, they are well worth it!
steve77 and SloopJonB like this.

1979 Santana 30 Tall Rig
Hull#101
SchockT is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 39 Old 01-28-2013 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
steve77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Salem, MA
Posts: 481
Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: Which winch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
I just replaced my primary winches last season. Winches CAN wear out if they are not maintained. On Lewmar winches the stainless pawls are held in sockets machined into the aluminum drum casting. Those sockets get loose and ovalled out, and eventually they can no longer keep the pawl captive and aligned. The end result is a catastrophic winch failure. If this happens at the wrong time it can also result in a broken arm for the person grinding!

I did my homework on all the winches before I settled on Andersens. There were comparable to the others in price but i got full SS rather than aluminum. The Andersen4 ribbed drum design gives superior grip compared to others, it is easier on the ropes because it doesn't rely on an abrasive surface for grip. Even if they are a bit more expensive, they are well worth it!
Thanks for the feedback. I think after reading the comments here I am starting to lean towards the Andersens if I do decide to go with new ones. The place here in MA (Rigging Only) lists them for cheaper than Lewmars or Harkens at W Marine or Defender. Makes it very tempting.
steve77 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #33 of 39 Old 01-28-2013
Seņor Member
 
PorFin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,444
Thanks: 8
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: Which winch?

Steve,

+1 for making any decisions only after you've had a chance to take the winches apart to see what you are actually facing. Of all the machines on a boat, winches are probably the longest lived.

FWIW: I've found that Lewmar pawls and springs fit my Barients just fine. The bearings OTOH are another matter.

As to making them all from the same manufacturer, I know you realize that this is purely cosmetic. A TrueValue hardware screwdriver looks funny among a drawer full of Craftsman tools, but it works just as well.

Since the boat is new to you, you may want to belay any major spending decisions until you've had a chance to sail it a bit. It would suck to have sunk all that money into replacing something that is otherwise serviceable, only to find that it would have been put to better use on something that has a better ROI.

BTW: Congrats on the new boat!
SloopJonB likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
PorFin is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #34 of 39 Old 01-28-2013
Senior Moment Member
 
SloopJonB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 11,360
Thanks: 59
Thanked 67 Times in 64 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: Which winch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
FWIW: I've found that Lewmar pawls and springs fit my Barients just fine. The bearings OTOH are another matter.
Porfin - did you find the Lewmar pawls to be an exact replacement in your Barients? I found they fit the pivot just right but there was just enough difference in their length that they had to be replaced in pairs or the slightly longer one would bear all the load.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
SloopJonB is online now  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #35 of 39 Old 01-28-2013
Senior Moment Member
 
SloopJonB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 11,360
Thanks: 59
Thanked 67 Times in 64 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: Which winch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
I just replaced my primary winches last season. Winches CAN wear out if they are not maintained. On Lewmar winches the stainless pawls are held in sockets machined into the aluminum drum casting. Those sockets get loose and ovalled out, and eventually they can no longer keep the pawl captive and aligned. The end result is a catastrophic winch failure. If this happens at the wrong time it can also result in a broken arm for the person grinding!
One more reason to only get bronze or S/S winches.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
SloopJonB is online now  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #36 of 39 Old 01-28-2013
Seņor Member
 
PorFin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,444
Thanks: 8
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: Which winch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Porfin - did you find the Lewmar pawls to be an exact replacement in your Barients? I found they fit the pivot just right but there was just enough difference in their length that they had to be replaced in pairs or the slightly longer one would bear all the load.
SJB,

To be honest I didn't notice the difference in length -- my approach was that since they work as a pair, they should be replaced as a pair.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
PorFin is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #37 of 39 Old 01-28-2013
Senior Moment Member
 
SloopJonB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 11,360
Thanks: 59
Thanked 67 Times in 64 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: Which winch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
SJB,

To be honest I didn't notice the difference in length -- my approach was that since they work as a pair, they should be replaced as a pair.
I'm cheaper than that. If it ain't broke, I don't fix it.

I replaced the broken one and when I reassembled it and spun it the pawls didn't sound right so I pulled it apart and looked closely - one pawl was just a couple of thou. shorter so the longer one was the only one engaging.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
SloopJonB is online now  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #38 of 39 Old 01-28-2013
Seņor Member
 
PorFin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,444
Thanks: 8
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: Which winch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I'm cheaper than that. If it ain't broke, I don't fix it.
I bet your wife dreads the day you blow out one of your shoes...
SloopJonB likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
PorFin is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #39 of 39 Old 01-28-2013 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
steve77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Salem, MA
Posts: 481
Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
Steve,

+1 for making any decisions only after you've had a chance to take the winches apart to see what you are actually facing. Of all the machines on a boat, winches are probably the longest lived.

FWIW: I've found that Lewmar pawls and springs fit my Barients just fine. The bearings OTOH are another matter.

As to making them all from the same manufacturer, I know you realize that this is purely cosmetic. A TrueValue hardware screwdriver looks funny among a drawer full of Craftsman tools, but it works just as well.

Since the boat is new to you, you may want to belay any major spending decisions until you've had a chance to sail it a bit. It would suck to have sunk all that money into replacing something that is otherwise serviceable, only to find that it would have been put to better use on something that has a better ROI.

BTW: Congrats on the new boat!
Thanks, I'm really looking forward to sailing it. Heck, I'm even looking forward to sanding and varnishing all the brightwork. I do realize that getting new winches would involve a bit of um, "vanity", but I'm ok with that. There are a few other upgrades and repairs I plan on doing that will involve some $$$ and that are a higher priority than new winches, so I won't be doing anything rash.

A lot of great feedback and suggestions in this thread and I appreciate them all. I think they will all come in useful regardless of what I do and when I do it. Many thanks to all who have responded.
steve77 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WINCH 1 do I have. plz help arborjockey Gear & Maintenance 7 04-20-2012 12:35 PM
Winch handle in winch glassdad General Discussion (sailing related) 19 05-11-2011 05:10 PM
Which winch? Polypterus Gear & Maintenance 3 04-12-2010 08:24 PM
Winch Way? garycalvinsmith Gear & Maintenance 1 09-12-2006 08:06 AM
which winch?? maestro Racing 2 03-30-2004 01:47 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome