Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road
Re: Which winch?

I just replaced my primary winches last season. Winches CAN wear out if they are not maintained. On Lewmar winches the stainless pawls are held in sockets machined into the aluminum drum casting. Those sockets get loose and ovalled out, and eventually they can no longer keep the pawl captive and aligned. The end result is a catastrophic winch failure. If this happens at the wrong time it can also result in a broken arm for the person grinding!

I did my homework on all the winches before I settled on Andersens. There were comparable to the others in price but i got full SS rather than aluminum. The Andersen4 ribbed drum design gives superior grip compared to others, it is easier on the ropes because it doesn't rely on an abrasive surface for grip. Even if they are a bit more expensive, they are well worth it!
steve77 and SloopJonB like this.
Hull#101
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2013

steve77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
I just replaced my primary winches last season. Winches CAN wear out if they are not maintained. On Lewmar winches the stainless pawls are held in sockets machined into the aluminum drum casting. Those sockets get loose and ovalled out, and eventually they can no longer keep the pawl captive and aligned. The end result is a catastrophic winch failure. If this happens at the wrong time it can also result in a broken arm for the person grinding!

I did my homework on all the winches before I settled on Andersens. There were comparable to the others in price but i got full SS rather than aluminum. The Andersen4 ribbed drum design gives superior grip compared to others, it is easier on the ropes because it doesn't rely on an abrasive surface for grip. Even if they are a bit more expensive, they are well worth it!
Thanks for the feedback. I think after reading the comments here I am starting to lean towards the Andersens if I do decide to go with new ones. The place here in MA (Rigging Only) lists them for cheaper than Lewmars or Harkens at W Marine or Defender. Makes it very tempting.
Old 01-28-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Steve,

+1 for making any decisions only after you've had a chance to take the winches apart to see what you are actually facing. Of all the machines on a boat, winches are probably the longest lived.

FWIW: I've found that Lewmar pawls and springs fit my Barients just fine. The bearings OTOH are another matter.

As to making them all from the same manufacturer, I know you realize that this is purely cosmetic. A TrueValue hardware screwdriver looks funny among a drawer full of Craftsman tools, but it works just as well.

Since the boat is new to you, you may want to belay any major spending decisions until you've had a chance to sail it a bit. It would suck to have sunk all that money into replacing something that is otherwise serviceable, only to find that it would have been put to better use on something that has a better ROI.

BTW: Congrats on the new boat!
SloopJonB likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Old 01-28-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
FWIW: I've found that Lewmar pawls and springs fit my Barients just fine. The bearings OTOH are another matter.
Porfin - did you find the Lewmar pawls to be an exact replacement in your Barients? I found they fit the pivot just right but there was just enough difference in their length that they had to be replaced in pairs or the slightly longer one would bear all the load.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 01-28-2013
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
One more reason to only get bronze or S/S winches.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 01-28-2013
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Porfin - did you find the Lewmar pawls to be an exact replacement in your Barients? I found they fit the pivot just right but there was just enough difference in their length that they had to be replaced in pairs or the slightly longer one would bear all the load.
SJB,

To be honest I didn't notice the difference in length -- my approach was that since they work as a pair, they should be replaced as a pair.

________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Old 01-28-2013
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
SJB,

To be honest I didn't notice the difference in length -- my approach was that since they work as a pair, they should be replaced as a pair.
I'm cheaper than that. If it ain't broke, I don't fix it.

I replaced the broken one and when I reassembled it and spun it the pawls didn't sound right so I pulled it apart and looked closely - one pawl was just a couple of thou. shorter so the longer one was the only one engaging.

Old 01-28-2013
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I'm cheaper than that. If it ain't broke, I don't fix it.
I bet your wife dreads the day you blow out one of your shoes...
SloopJonB likes this.

________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Old 01-28-2013

steve77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Steve,

+1 for making any decisions only after you've had a chance to take the winches apart to see what you are actually facing. Of all the machines on a boat, winches are probably the longest lived.

As to making them all from the same manufacturer, I know you realize that this is purely cosmetic. A TrueValue hardware screwdriver looks funny among a drawer full of Craftsman tools, but it works just as well.

Since the boat is new to you, you may want to belay any major spending decisions until you've had a chance to sail it a bit. It would suck to have sunk all that money into replacing something that is otherwise serviceable, only to find that it would have been put to better use on something that has a better ROI.

BTW: Congrats on the new boat!
Thanks, I'm really looking forward to sailing it. Heck, I'm even looking forward to sanding and varnishing all the brightwork. I do realize that getting new winches would involve a bit of um, "vanity", but I'm ok with that. There are a few other upgrades and repairs I plan on doing that will involve some $$$ and that are a higher priority than new winches, so I won't be doing anything rash.

A lot of great feedback and suggestions in this thread and I appreciate them all. I think they will all come in useful regardless of what I do and when I do it. Many thanks to all who have responded.