Which winch? - SailNet Community
 7Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 01-27-2013 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
steve77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Salem, MA
Posts: 481
Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Which winch?

It looks like I will be replacing the four winches on my new-to-me Catalina 34. I'm leaning toward one of the new easy to service winches from either Harken or Lewmar and was wondering what opinions, experience, or thoughts others may have.
steve77 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 39 Old 01-27-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 844
Thanks: 2
Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 3
 
Re: Which winch?

Why replace? Are they that shot?
I have self tailing lewmars and they work fine. Easy to maintain. I would venture to say that some would say that Harkens are better.
If your mind is set on new winches call around to some big dealers. Some people are buying new boats and having them retrofitted at delivery with electric winches. I saw 2 Lewmar 46's for sale the other day for this very reason. Good price to.
benesailor is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #3 of 39 Old 01-27-2013 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
steve77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Salem, MA
Posts: 481
Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: Which winch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benesailor View Post
Why replace? Are they that shot?
I have self tailing lewmars and they work fine. Easy to maintain. I would venture to say that some would say that Harkens are better.
If your mind is set on new winches call around to some big dealers. Some people are buying new boats and having them retrofitted at delivery with electric winches. I saw 2 Lewmar 46's for sale the other day for this very reason. Good price to.
Thanks, that's good to know. The guy who runs the rigging shop where I keep the boat did his winter inspection of everything and thinks they are on their way out. Two are old Arco winches, one a Maxwell (I think) and one a Lewmar. I haven't sailed the boat yet so I don't know how bad they actually are and will probably wait until after launch this season to take the plunge if necessary. But I wanted to get some feedback in the meantime.

Searching around the interwebs I've seen some discussions but they were all talking about the older models, of which most seemed to think that Harkens were particularly difficult to service.
steve77 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #4 of 39 Old 01-27-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 844
Thanks: 2
Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 3
 
Re: Which winch?

Sorry, not well versed on Harken guts. Given where you are at i would think you could find some nice used models. It sounds like you could use an upgrade.
PM me if you want me to dig up the e-mail from RCR Yachts about the consignment of the 2 new lewmar 46's. I believe they had them $200 off the going price. Maybe wheel and deal from there.
When do they launch around there? Just wondering. Never sailed around MA.
benesailor is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #5 of 39 Old 01-27-2013
Senior Moment Member
 
SloopJonB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 11,373
Thanks: 59
Thanked 67 Times in 64 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: Which winch?

How old are your winches? Are they self tailers? I've had winches up to 40 years old and they weren't "worn out" - they just needed servicing and a few springs & pawls. I've never even had to replace a bearing, let alone a gear.

I've never seen a winch wear out, only fail from misuse and/or abuse.

If you have to go for store bought new, I'd go for S/S Andersens, no question.

I haven't used Harkens but the current Lewmars are only "easy to service" in that they don't require a tool to get the drum lock nut off - they are a sort of thumb screw with a head somewhat like those "security" screws they use to assemble public restroom stalls, only a lot bigger.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
SloopJonB is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #6 of 39 Old 01-27-2013 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
steve77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Salem, MA
Posts: 481
Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: Which winch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benesailor View Post
Sorry, not well versed on Harken guts. Given where you are at i would think you could find some nice used models. It sounds like you could use an upgrade.
PM me if you want me to dig up the e-mail from RCR Yachts about the consignment of the 2 new lewmar 46's. I believe they had them $200 off the going price. Maybe wheel and deal from there.
When do they launch around there? Just wondering. Never sailed around MA.
I live in MA but the boat is up in ME- but I think they launch the same date here, May 15. Haul by Oct 15 so unfortunately kind of a short season.
steve77 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #7 of 39 Old 01-27-2013 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
steve77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Salem, MA
Posts: 481
Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: Which winch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
How old are your winches? Are they self tailers? I've had winches up to 40 years old and they weren't "worn out" - they just needed servicing and a few springs & pawls. I've never even had to replace a bearing, let alone a gear.

I've never seen a winch wear out, only fail from misuse and/or abuse.

If you have to go for store bought new, I'd go for S/S Andersens, no question.

I haven't used Harkens but the current Lewmars are only "easy to service" in that they don't require a tool to get the drum lock nut off - they are a sort of thumb screw with a head somewhat like those "security" screws they use to assemble public restroom stalls, only a lot bigger.
I don't know exactly how old the winches are. The boat is an '86 and I'm the third owner. The PO only had it a few years so I'm guessing the original owner replaced some or all of the winches. Maybe one is original, I don't know. They are all self-tailing.

Are Andersens worth the extra cost? Is the SS better than chromed bronze?
steve77 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #8 of 39 Old 01-27-2013
Just another Moderator
 
Faster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Westminster, BC
Posts: 16,526
Thanks: 104
Thanked 309 Times in 299 Posts
Rep Power: 10
     
Re: Which winch?

If I was buying new it would be Andersens... esp if this is your 'forever' boat..

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 01-27-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Faster is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #9 of 39 Old 01-27-2013 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
steve77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Salem, MA
Posts: 481
Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: Which winch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
If I was buying new it would be Andersens... esp if this is you're 'forever' boat..
I don't know if it's my "forever" boat, but it's going to be my "quite a long time" boat.
steve77 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #10 of 39 Old 01-27-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 844
Thanks: 2
Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 3
 
Re: Which winch?

S/S andersons are nice. That's true about winches wearing out; i've never seen it either. Then again i don't have umpteen years either.
I almost got me a C34...... then i happened onto the fire sale that i have now; my bene 400. Newlyweds, she didn't like sailing and wanted a new house. Something had to give. I told my BROTHER at his bachelor party i'd be getting that baby at half price....I like it a lot. "My forever boat" The admiral loves it.

May 15th in maine to start? I had no idea. I drop in april 15-20 like clock work. Pull out aound Oct 15, wish it was later.

Good luck with the winches
benesailor is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WINCH 1 do I have. plz help arborjockey Gear & Maintenance 7 04-20-2012 12:35 PM
Winch handle in winch glassdad General Discussion (sailing related) 19 05-11-2011 05:10 PM
Which winch? Polypterus Gear & Maintenance 3 04-12-2010 08:24 PM
Winch Way? garycalvinsmith Gear & Maintenance 1 09-12-2006 08:06 AM
which winch?? maestro Racing 2 03-30-2004 01:47 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome