Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Alum highway pole for mast

Several years ago one of the Sailing Magazines, perhaps Cruising World, serially chronicled the completion of a bare hull--I believe a Cape George--by a young couple. They fitted the boat with a Gaff rig using an aluminum light pole as a mast that proved very satisfactory. Once completed they took off with their two small children on voyage of adventure/discovery. Unfortunately, I cannot recall the name of the yacht but I suspect one could come up with the article and their blog if one were determined enough with Google or one of the other search tools.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Wow since we are talking THEORY only here... I think you should forgo the rigging, mast, and just take the chute approach... Way cheaper to implement, slightly limited on direction of sail (just a bit). I just think it's funny that they show this, like it's some kind of amazing invention.

Old 01-28-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I think kite surfing a 40' around the world (or even around the bay) would get a tad tiring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 01-28-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

I am thinking using a lightpole as a mast might be tiring to configure, but hey, you waste your time in the shop, or on the water... whichever works.

Used mast is probably the cheapest/quickest way to go and still get decent sailing.
Old 01-29-2013

RonRelyea is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
Hunter Vision 36 - the unstayed mast *was* an aluminum light pole, complete with a sleeve joint part-way up, very obvious as the taper was not continuous. So it can and has been done.

(Not my boat, a friend's.)
My Hunter Vision 32 has a mast that looks like a traffic light pole (don't know if the are manufactured the same though) ...