Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-28-2013
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Re: How often do I need to replace my cutlass bearing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsaboat View Post
Not to hijack a thread, but to play the counter argument, my cutlass bearing is tight. I mean so tight I can hardly turn the prop by hand in neutral. It's not new either. It came with the 1985 boat. We replaced the stern tube on last haulout and I had to hammer the prop shaft (with a wood block as a buffer) to get it back up to the flange.
Should I just motor around until it wears some? I'm a lake sailor with an easy in and out of the slip an dont run the engine much. Does rubber swell over time?
A couple of things come to mind.
1. Are you sure it's the cutlass bearing? It's possible that the stuffing box is too tight.
2. Are you sure that the engine is aligned properly? This could cause the bearing to bind.

I'm sure there could be other reasons. Hopefully someone else can chime in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
The cutlass bearing was only $75
Now I feel better. Really? A boat part for under a grand??? Sweeet

If that's the case I'll replace it. It's not a part I've replaced before so I'll learn something new and not spend too much. Although, fixing something before it breaks is really not me....

Are there types or brands or do I just get one from defender? Is it better to get rubber or nylon? Are the specific to the boat or just shaft diameter?

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-29-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

MedSailor - I forget why, but I did a search for cutlass bearing replacement process. Here's a nifty tool that looks interesting:

I have no affiliation with the seller, just thought it was cool.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 01-29-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
MedSailor - I forget why, but I did a search for cutlass bearing replacement process. Here's a nifty tool that looks interesting:

I have no affiliation with the seller, just thought it was cool.
For $395 to get just the adapters for your own shaft, this tool could pay for itself over time. Split it with a buddy and it would pay on its first use. Use yours to help a buddy and you could make your investment back in beer.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-29-2013

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road

I had the cutlass bearing replaced after only 2 years from when the boat was brand new. The yard manager came by at haul out and grabed the prop and said there was some play in it and while I had a hard time seeing any play I told him to go ahead and replace it since the cost was under $100 if I remember right. I was not there to watch the replacement, but I don't think he removed the shaft. Not sure how it was done since there is no strut involved plus there is no clearance to use that tool in the above video. It's probably time to replace it again since that was 20 years ago.
Old 01-29-2013

H and E is on a distinguished road

I just replaced mine. The sound of a bad bearing is kind of like a drumming - if you here that it is past time. I had about 50 thousandths inch play in it. I would guess that it should be changed any time there is play. I suspect once the play starts it will wear quite quickly. System is much smoother now.
Old 01-29-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Med,

The relative difficulty in replacing the bearing will depend a great deal on where the bearing is located.

If it's in a strut, then things are much easier than if it's in a deadwood mounted shaft log -- it's a question of access to the forward end of the bearing in order to press it out.

________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Old 01-29-2013

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road

A friend who is responsible for tug repair with a large towing company told me that they replace the cutlass bearing every time a tug is hauled. The cost of the bearing is so cheap compared to the cost of the haul that it doesn't make sense to not change the cutlass bearing. On the other hand, he undoubtedly factors in loss of use when analyzing the economics. You may not.
Old 01-29-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

As stated ease all depends on where the bearing is. Ours is in a strut. It requires that the shaft be pulled out. The shaft clearence with the rudder in is .33 inches so we were lucky we didnt have to have the rudder dropped. Oours came from Buck Algonquin

http://www.buckalgonquin.com/pages/P...ring_page.html

The part itself is inexpensive and relarted to shaft size. If you are having the shaft removed its a no brainer to replace the bearing no matter how old it is IMHO.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 01-29-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-29-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

Well....... this thread created some work. I had been suspicious of my cutlass bearing but now I'm really suspicious. I think it's time to change it out.
I'm assuming it's a press fit?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.