SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   How often do I need to replace my cutlass bearing? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/96168-how-often-do-i-need-replace-my-cutlass-bearing.html)

MedSailor 01-28-2013 08:22 PM

How often do I need to replace my cutlass bearing?

How often does one need to replace their cutlass bearing? I have a haulout coming up and the mechanic I was talking to said to replace it ever 500 hours or so. That doesn't sound right....

MedSailor

PorFin 01-28-2013 08:50 PM

Re: How often do I need to replace my cutlass bearing?

Med,

I think you're instincts are right -- way too many variables involved to be able to say there's a set schedule.

jsaronson 01-28-2013 08:51 PM

When there is play in it.

CapnRon47 01-28-2013 08:53 PM

When I had mine changed during a haul out it was because there was play in the prop shaft. Try turning the shaft and wiggle it from side to side. If there is any play in it, then you should think about changing it. But I don't know what the definition of 'any' is!

cheers.
Ron

Sabreman 01-28-2013 09:08 PM

There is no "hour rule" for a cutlass bearing. As CapnRon and jsaronson say, it depends on whether there is play in the bearing.

A tip - If the boat is freshly hauled and the bearing is still wet, it may have no play and still need replacement. On the other hand, hauling the boat and letting the bearing dry for a few weeks often times reveals a bearing that needs replacement.

benesailor 01-28-2013 09:15 PM

Can someone define "play" in relation to the cutlass bearing. How much is to much?

RobGallagher 01-28-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benesailor (Post 982515)
Can someone define "play" in relation to the cutlass bearing. How much is to much?

1/16th of an inch IF memory serves me. Someone correct me....

Perseverance 01-28-2013 10:03 PM

Most cutlass bearings are compressed rubber and any play would indicate some wear. Some, like mine are machined hard plastic and a certain amount of play is acceptable. Mine for a 1.5 in shaft is .090 ". If the boat is out I would seriously consider replacment if even slightly indicated.

chef2sail 01-28-2013 10:29 PM

No set schedule. Look at it and wiggle it when it comes out. If you were replacing the shaft of pulling it at any time, I would say to replace it as it is a low cost oart and no need to expense pulling everything again.

We had our prop shaft replaced and also a drippless shaft system put in, even though the Cutlass was ok it was 7 years old so we elcted to replace it as the shaft was already pulled. The cutlass bearing was only $75

itsaboat 01-28-2013 10:49 PM

How often do I need to replace my cutlass bearing?

Not to hijack a thread, but to play the counter argument, my cutlass bearing is tight. I mean so tight I can hardly turn the prop by hand in neutral. It's not new either. It came with the 1985 boat. We replaced the stern tube on last haulout and I had to hammer the prop shaft (with a wood block as a buffer) to get it back up to the flange.
Should I just motor around until it wears some? I'm a lake sailor with an easy in and out of the slip an dont run the engine much. Does rubber swell over time?