Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Re: Dorade boxes???

Has anyone used these low profile, integral-box Dorade vents?

The theory is the same as an elongate box -- question may be how much water can one gulp befre the cabin sprinklers turn on. We're a little tight for deck space. Plastimo also makes a more traditional, offset box that is low and sleek.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
They do make some noise that can drive some people nuts.
Hmmm...ours are whisper quiet and you dont even realize its on

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
True story: When we looked at what was to become Victoria, it was a cold, rainy day in early March. The PVC cowls were dirty, cracked, and wet. The broker commented that the boat was just aching for stainless replacements. It may have been an intentional visual plant in my brain on the broker's part (a common sales technique), but it worked. So we bought the boat and along with new interior lighting and battery charger, 6 SS vents ($$$) were the first upgrades to our "new" boat. I'm a sucker for shiny things.
6!!!! thats a of of bling. They do add to your boat

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-04-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I don't have them myself, but suspect the ones that I've heard were getting old. Its wasn't horrific, but you could hear it. It would depend on your tolerance for it. I think experiences have been mixed.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-04-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't have them myself, but suspect the ones that I've heard were getting old. Its wasn't horrific, but you could hear it. It would depend on your tolerance for it. I think experiences have been mixed.
One's brain quickly filters out irrelevant background noise. As a child we lived in a big old house with a late 1800's era Grandfather clock in the library, off the foyer, that tick-tock'd away mightily. Supposedly one could hear it throughout the house, unless one lived there. When called to one's attention by a visitor, one would have to "listen" for it before it could be "heard". So the whoosh of the fans in our solar vents, although they are nearly inaudible to most everyone unless one is standing directly below or beside them. To us, after a day or two aboard, it is their absence, if they become inoperable, that one notices, not there presence. Just as one notices an unusual tone or vibration in the engine in one's car, or aboard ship a change in the tone of the wind in the rigging when on passage.

FWIW...

Actually, now that I think about it, the "moan" in the cowls in a gale on our prior yacht was quite inconvenient and, at times, could be quite alarming until one realized the source.
chef2sail likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 02-04-2013 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Add addendum/PS
Old 02-04-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I probably thought of the nicro vent, because I'm one of the people that hears every single gremlin noise on the boat and can identify every one. I don't get nervous, unless I can't identify it, in which case I spring up to figure it out. Just don't change the noise!

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-05-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Funny you mention noise...Back in my Submariner days I would wake from a sound sleep when a ventilation fan changed speed and get up to see why.
Old 02-05-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Back on track....I think that I will look at solar vents as an option
Old 02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I got to thinking that perhaps the one I heard was not a Nicro, but a quick google reveals several concerns with noise and a variety of opinions on the causes.

Association Forum - Nicro Solar Vent Noise

Nicro Solar Vents dying on me

SailboatOwners.com - nicro solar vent

SailboatOwners.com - Nicro Vents

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 02-05-2013

Quote:
I got to thinking that perhaps the one I heard was not a Nicro, but a quick google reveals several concerns with noise and a variety of opinions on the causes.

Association Forum - Nicro Solar Vent Noise

Nicro Solar Vents dying on me

SailboatOwners.com - nicro solar vent

SailboatOwners.com - Nicro Vents
I can only go by personal experience and ours has been quiet, efficient and worked well and all I have had to do is replace batteries every couple years.

Complaints are contagious just like in a restuarant. When one person at a table send something back for whatever reason it usually leads to others at that tabble and even in the dining room
It also seems like their customer service is good. I have no alligence to them, just personal experience and mine has been a good one.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-