SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Multi-hull capsize anti turtling device (mast float)

15K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  overbored 
#1 ·
I am seeking information on catamaran / multi-hull masthead floats. Have found limited info via internet searches. Specifically foam shapes that go on the top of the mast. I was looking for more clever products to keep small multihulls / beach cats from turning turtle once they capsize. Can anybody provide some links or info. Thanks a bunch, Talbot

#3 ·
Beach cats with seal masts don't turtle if handled properly, and I've pitchpoled more than a few times.

* The mast must be sealed. Check for own-installed hardware. If seale, it floats.
* Once the boat flips, get off. Most turtles are caused by folks hanging on the rigging. Get around to the botto side.

A float just increases capsize risk (windage and mass). Don't do it.

#7 ·
I had a Prindle so the "sealed mast" never turtled. I had it one it's side 15-20 minutes before. However my friends in a H16 definitely turtled, in the ocean, and had to get a tow to right them. I

I think a durable and inflated "something" at the top would be efficient, however the weight (windage) could hurt your balance as you fly a hull, and it would look ugly (Never something I cared about, if you only saw my P16)

So my un-applied idea was this: A 2nd halyard parallel with the main halyard, rigged to a large float that could stay at the bottom of the mast on the trampoline while you sail. Maybe a round buoy / dock fender, so it still looks like it belongs on a boat. Anyways, once you flip, if you can get on the hulls before it's fully turtled, and begin yanking on the halyard to get the float going up the mast to prevent it from sinking turtle..

Or just buy a hobie mast bob and find a way to install it on your mast. They're $$$ though.

Or. Slap on a auto-inflating life jacket that pops to inflate (to the top of the mast) when it is submerged in water, maybe that could provide enough lift. Then you'll just have to replace the can every time you capsize. (Semi joking)

#9 ·
However my friends in a H16 definitely turtled, in the ocean, and had to get a tow to right them.
Had to get a tow!?! They must have been doing something wrong. I didn't mention it before, but when I turtled a Hobie 16 it was in the ocean, in the Atlantic, off the coast of Florida, and not an especially calm day. We had absolutely no problem at all righting it. It really wasn't significantly more difficult than righting it from its side.

#8 ·
Thanks for all the good input. I had been sent info on the Secumar and was wondering if there was an alternative available in the states. Already saw the mast Bob from Hobie...simple solution but makes your cat look like an old Aquacat.

#10 ·
Some spray in foam insulation, at top of mast, if no internal halyards etc., but beware stuff does expand quite a bit. Cheap,
easy and no windage/weight.
Also can adhere thin foam pad to small upper section of mainsail, much the same as is added to the luff of roller furled jibs.
Again cheap, easy and no weight/windage.

#11 ·
denverdOn : yeah it was in the pacific in rolling seas. The owner had experience but his crew did not, and orchestrating the routine was impossible, the crew started to get agitated and cold, so they flagged down a nearby boat to radio for help.

I think that it takes patience and timing the swells to help you because of the slow motion between the sail and water that gets the boat righted. Glad you guys performed the routine so well!

Cats are so much fun, I sold mine to a guy who shipped it to his beach-front home in Hawaii - I just might consider his offer and fly out there to get back on the thing for a couple days. (I wish)

#15 ·
denverdOn : yeah it was in the pacific in rolling seas. The owner had experience but his crew did not, and orchestrating the routine was impossible, the crew started to get agitated and cold, so they flagged down a nearby boat to radio for help.

I think that it takes patience and timing the swells to help you because of the slow motion between the sail and water that gets the boat righted. Glad you guys performed the routine so well!

Cats are so much fun, I sold mine to a guy who shipped it to his beach-front home in Hawaii - I just might consider his offer and fly out there to get back on the thing for a couple days. (I wish)
Shouldn't have been in the ocean without a handheld radio, at least.

#13 ·
I don't remember ever capsizing while on a catamaran. It's ALWAYS been a pitchpole and flop over on one hull - look to see what happened to the crew on the trapeze, usually not good - and then get to the righting lines before it's too late. How do you right a cat that's gone all the way by yourself? Every time I've watched there has been a power boat involved.

#14 ·
How do you right a cat that's gone all the way by yourself?
It depends on the cat. I've done it with a Hobie 14, in a fairly calm lake. I think a Hobie 16 would be impossible to right from a turtled position by one person.

I have considered sticking pool noodles into the mast of my current sailing dinghy (not a cat), to prevent turtling. Of course, you have to have a mast in which they'll fit, and not have any internal halyards, if you want to do that.

#16 ·
I've raced in fleets where MANY pitched, and never saw a raced boat turtle. Recreational sailors, yes; they hang on the rigging and don't get to the righting lines quickly.

Make certain the mast is sealed. That is your float. Adding internal foam will actually reduce flotation.

#17 ·
Reading this post years later...if anyone is still on...why on earth would adding internal foam to a catamaran mast reduce flotation? This seems counterintuitive. I ask because I just bought a prindle 16 I intend to sail with my kids and I am considering putting a pool noodle inside the top of the mast, or using spray foam. I will also seal the mast. Anyone?

#19 ·
I had a Prindle 16 so I know this for certain.

The mast is SEALED (external halyards) and will fload. Anything you put in the mast only makes it heavier and it will float less.

Make certain it is sealed!

#22 ·
Prindle 16 mast is sealed so it will float. no need to ad any flotation to the inside, all it will do is make it heavier and not float a well. if you do turtle get all the weight on the back cross bar and sink the stern of one hull and wait for the mast head to float to the surface at which point the boat will turn on to one hull and then you right the boat with the righting line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.