SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Multi-hull capsize anti turtling device (mast float) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/96245-multi-hull-capsize-anti-turtling-device-mast-float.html)

talbot 01-31-2013 12:24 PM

Multi-hull capsize anti turtling device (mast float)

I am seeking information on catamaran / multi-hull masthead floats. Have found limited info via internet searches. Specifically foam shapes that go on the top of the mast. I was looking for more clever products to keep small multihulls / beach cats from turning turtle once they capsize. Can anybody provide some links or info. Thanks a bunch, Talbot

MarkSF 01-31-2013 12:37 PM

Re: Multi-hull capsize anti turtling device (mast float)

This company makes a self-inflating device for the top of the mast :

SECUMAR - Accessories - Anti-Inversion Cushion KSK, blue

On my Wayfarer I bought an inflatable bag designed for the top of a sail (ordered it from England), and had a pocket made in the sail. This way it could be deflated if the sail was put away.

pdqaltair 01-31-2013 01:31 PM

Beach cats with seal masts don't turtle if handled properly, and I've pitchpoled more than a few times.

* The mast must be sealed. Check for own-installed hardware. If seale, it floats.
* Once the boat flips, get off. Most turtles are caused by folks hanging on the rigging. Get around to the botto side.

A float just increases capsize risk (windage and mass). Don't do it.

MarkSF 01-31-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdqaltair (Post 983785)
A float just increases capsize risk (windage and mass). Don't do it.

That's why I installed an inflatable bag in the top of the sail, which, properly installed, has hardly any effect on windage and weight.

jsaronson 01-31-2013 01:43 PM

What happened to the empty Clorox bottle tied to the top of the mast? Too low tech?

denverd0n 01-31-2013 01:48 PM

I've been on a Hobie 16 that turtled before, and righting it was really not a big deal. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

Philzy3985 01-31-2013 04:04 PM

I had a Prindle so the "sealed mast" never turtled. I had it one it's side 15-20 minutes before. However my friends in a H16 definitely turtled, in the ocean, and had to get a tow to right them. I

I think a durable and inflated "something" at the top would be efficient, however the weight (windage) could hurt your balance as you fly a hull, and it would look ugly (Never something I cared about, if you only saw my P16)

So my un-applied idea was this: A 2nd halyard parallel with the main halyard, rigged to a large float that could stay at the bottom of the mast on the trampoline while you sail. Maybe a round buoy / dock fender, so it still looks like it belongs on a boat. Anyways, once you flip, if you can get on the hulls before it's fully turtled, and begin yanking on the halyard to get the float going up the mast to prevent it from sinking turtle..

Or just buy a hobie mast bob and find a way to install it on your mast. They're $$$ though.

Or. Slap on a auto-inflating life jacket that pops to inflate (to the top of the mast) when it is submerged in water, maybe that could provide enough lift. Then you'll just have to replace the can every time you capsize. (Semi joking)

talbot 01-31-2013 04:55 PM

Thanks for all the good input. I had been sent info on the Secumar and was wondering if there was an alternative available in the states. Already saw the mast Bob from Hobie...simple solution but makes your cat look like an old Aquacat.

denverd0n 02-01-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philzy3985 (Post 983835)
However my friends in a H16 definitely turtled, in the ocean, and had to get a tow to right them.

Had to get a tow!?! They must have been doing something wrong. I didn't mention it before, but when I turtled a Hobie 16 it was in the ocean, in the Atlantic, off the coast of Florida, and not an especially calm day. We had absolutely no problem at all righting it. It really wasn't significantly more difficult than righting it from its side.

HUGOSALT 02-01-2013 10:52 AM

Some spray in foam insulation, at top of mast, if no internal halyards etc., but beware stuff does expand quite a bit. Cheap,
easy and no windage/weight.
Also can adhere thin foam pad to small upper section of mainsail, much the same as is added to the luff of roller furled jibs.
Again cheap, easy and no weight/windage.