SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Speed/Depth/Wind conundrum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/96270-speed-depth-wind-conundrum.html)

Rhys05 02-01-2013 02:08 PM

Speed/Depth/Wind conundrum
 
Just got my boat (an S2 7.9) last weekend, its currently sitting in a heated shop where I can work on it. There are currently no electronics, and I need depth and speed and would really like to have wind data. I'm currently looking at the Garmin GMI 10 Speed/Depth/Wind bundle, which seems pretty reasonably priced, but I'm very hesitant to cut a hole in the bottom of my boat, which currently only has one below-the-waterline thru hull (the engine cooling water intake). So, a two pronged question:

1) Am I being overly dramatic/worried about punching a hole and installing a thru-hull?
2) Is there another solution that will give me Depth/Speed/Wind that won't cost too much more (I'd rather not buy a chartplotter at this point) and not entail cutting a hole in my boat? I would like them to all talk to each other...otherwise I may consider a Speedpuck for speed and an in-hull for depth.

Thanks!

Brandon

overbored 02-01-2013 02:17 PM

Re: Speed/Depth/Wind conundrum
 
how many boats sink because of a properly installed speed sensor? like none

Rhys05 02-01-2013 02:20 PM

Re: Speed/Depth/Wind conundrum
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by overbored (Post 984305)
how many boats sink because of a properly installed speed sensor? like none

Okay then, as I am a speed sensor installation newbie, indulge me: Is it pretty easy to properly install a speed sensor? :o I don't want to be the statistic! :eek:

Faster 02-01-2013 02:23 PM

Re: Speed/Depth/Wind conundrum
 
Speed and depth throughhulls are a non issue.. as long as they are installed correctly in the first place. However you can install depth transducers in-hull if you're really worried about it.

For me, I think wind speed and direction instrumentation on a boat such as yours is overkill.. a good windex and telltales will always get you there. Your boat is responsive enough that you'll quickly get the feel for performance settings.. In 30 years we've only had partially functioning wind instruments for a short time - and ended up watching the windex anyway.. I'd put that money into something else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhys05 (Post 984306)
Okay then, as I am a speed sensor installation newbie, indulge me: Is it pretty easy to properly install a speed sensor? :o I don't want to be the statistic! :eek:


It's pretty straightforward.. you'll need a hole saw and caulking. The instrument will have instructions for installation most likely - some transducers are flush mount and require a special boring tool for the right contours in the cutout.. look into that first, I guess.

Rhys05 02-01-2013 02:27 PM

Re: Speed/Depth/Wind conundrum
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 984308)
Speed and depth throughhulls are a non issue.. as long as they are installed correctly in the first place. However you can install depth transducers in-hull if you're really worried about it.

For me, I think wind speed and direction instrumentation on a boat such as yours is overkill.. a good windex and telltales will always get you there. Your boat is responsive enough that you'll quickly get the feel for performance settings.. In 30 years we've only had partially functioning wind instruments for a short time - and ended up watching the windex anyway.. I'd put that money into something else.

Fair point. Think I should just invest in a cheapish GPS Chartplotter/Sounder instead? I feel like I definitely need depth, and speed is good for figuring out whether or not tweaks to the sails actually help or not.

overbored 02-01-2013 02:31 PM

Re: Speed/Depth/Wind conundrum
 
the Garmin sensors are made by Airmar. if you want the most accurate and no maintenance go untra sonic. the install is the same for all types http://www.airmartechnology.com/uplo.../17-263-01.pdf

SloopJonB 02-01-2013 02:32 PM

Re: Speed/Depth/Wind conundrum
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhys05 (Post 984310)
Fair point. Think I should just invest in a cheapish GPS Chartplotter/Sounder instead? I feel like I definitely need depth, and speed is good for figuring out whether or not tweaks to the sails actually help or not.

I'd go that way. I've found speedo's to be pretty unreliable. You get SOG with a plotter and that's the number that matters. Speed through the water just helps you spot currents for and against you.

I hardly ever check the wind instruments, I just watch the Windex & telltales, as Faster says - far more useful.

I'm not a gadget freak but the new plotters are absolute magic.

Lou452 02-01-2013 02:40 PM

Re: Speed/Depth/Wind conundrum
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by overbored (Post 984305)
how many boats sink because of a properly installed speed sensor? like none

Looking forward to your next speedy reply. With brands and how to properly install. I also do not want to drill holes only to have to update to the next generation of boat gear. Is quality no drill stuff on the market. Information please? Good Day, Lou

Faster 02-01-2013 02:40 PM

Re: Speed/Depth/Wind conundrum
 
I'd go for a small chartplotter/gps, sounder as a minimum.. but I really like through-the-water boat speed indication so that a) your sail trim results are clear and b) you can better interpret your SOG from the GPS wrt to the currents working with/against you.

As Jon says, todays' plotters are 'magic', one of the features I find most interesting is the ability to 'see' progress (or, sadly, the lack of it) as the GPS reels off Distance Made Good, or Estimated Time Remaining etc.. Move the cursor and know exactly how far that distant landmark, island, point, buoy is off... neat stuff.

Rhys05 02-01-2013 02:43 PM

Re: Speed/Depth/Wind conundrum
 
Got a good suggestion in the $500-$1000 range? I'd like it to be able to talk to the autopilot (likely going to be a Raymarine ST2000 tillerpilot). That was one of the reasons I was kind of wanting the wind information: to interface it with the autopilot, totally unnecessary, I know, but sometimes I'm enticed by shiny things... :o


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012