Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-01-2013

rwlpatrick is on a distinguished road
Poly Glow

I bought my first sailboat last spring a 1986 Pearson 34. During my inspection my surveyor told me it had Poly Glow on it and he would take it off. He said that it was not good for the boat. I am planning my spring work and was leaning towards removing the Poly Glow to compound and wax it, however I did some internet research and found some people actually like the stuff. I did a search of this forum and found nothing about the stuff. So what does SN think of it?
Thanks for the opinions.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Poly Glow

Surprised you didn't find anything on a search.. it's been discussed a bit here before.

We use it on the hull topsides.. but not on deck/coamings, cabintop etc. We find it seems to pick up body oils and traffic dirt and quickly becomes unsightly. But on the hull we're quite happy with it, esp the ease of application. We've taken it right off a couple of times over the past 8 years and started over, but otherwise it's a once/twice year touch up. That said, I don't think poliglow (try that spelling on your search) replaces or compared to a Mainesail polish and buff job.....

On the decks we use 3M fiberglass cleaner/polish with pretty good results, usually twice a year application.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-01-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Poly Glow

If you don't keep up with the applications, the boat will look like it has psoriasis in a year or so. Do a MaineSail job and you'll swear that the boat is new.
Old 02-01-2013

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hey,

The product is Poliglow, maybe that's why your search came up emtpy? I've been using Poliglow for about 10 years now. So you could say that I'm happy. No, it doesn't look as nice as a proper wash, compound, wax job, but it takes significantly less time.

If you want to remove the poliglow please use Poliprep. It will quickly and easily remove the poliglow. Don't use acetone or anything like that.

The pics are before and during.

Each spring I remove the poliglow and re-apply. It takes less than 8 hours to do the topsides on my 35' O'day.

Good luck,
Barry
Attached Thumbnails
Poly Glow-img_3155.jpg   Poly Glow-img_3156.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-01-2013

wfish11 is on a distinguished road

I've used PoliGlow on about six 1970-80's age boats with excellent results. It is basically like an acrylic floor wax with a ton of UV agents in it. It can put a shine back on a 20-30 year old boat better than any wax or polish. Easy to put on (no buffing) and easily removed (strong ammonia wax remover). One spent two years at a slip here in Tampa, very hot, bright sun, with no degradation. My current boat is a '74 Cal 29 which was done about a year ago and still shines. The trick to this is to get the sides very clean and remove all of the old wax and grease. I've never seen it peel, but I imagine if you just applied it over the old wax that that might happen. If you leave the dirt or the yellow on, you will just have a shiny dirty (or yellow) boat. One boat I had to wipe down with acetone, another required an acid etch. Its like painting a car, prep is everything. Use the cleaner in the kit to prep your boat as a final step after it is clean.
The prep can also remove the old PoliGlow so you can retouch a damaged area (like where a dirty fender rubs it) and then just recoat that area, it will blend in well..

It is easy to apply, no buffing, just go around and round your boat with the chamois applicator six or seven times and it will shine almost like new. Be patient, it takes three or four coats just to fill the micro roughness in your old gel coat. I wouldn't use it on a recent gel coat (last ten years) as a good wax and polish is better for this but for an old boat you can't beat it. I've never used it on the decks as I am afraid it might be too slippery.

If you must remove the old PoliGlow from your boat order the cleaner from the company or use a very strong ammonia based acrylic wax stripper. Test that on a small place to be sure it doesn't affect the gel coat.

Recommended by Practical Sailor. You can view photos and info at poliglow.net

Good Luck

Last edited by wfish11; 02-01-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-01-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I've already read that Poliglow is a great thing to do if you have a rough gelcoat that is oxidized and beyond recovery using the normal buffing and waxing methods. I meant to try it on my 1984 Catalina 25 (which appeared to not be waxed or washed often for years leading up to my purchase of it), but sold it before getting that far. Even on that boat I buffed and waxed the hull and was surprised at how much I could restore it. Even more surprising was discovering that the boat was almond colored, not white. The gelcoat had oxidized that far.

If your 1986 Pearson wasn't neglected it shouldn't be in that shape and should do fine with normal buff and wax. My 1986 Pearson still has excellent gelcoat and a pretty simple waxing gets the hull looking more or less like new. The only bit of "ugly" on my boat is the original pinstriping under the hull/deck joint which was done with vinyl (the boot strip was done with gelcoat) and it is peeling.

If my gelcoat is really rough in another 20 years then I'll be happy that products like Poliglow are available.
Old 02-01-2013

p_everette is on a distinguished road

36 year old gel coat after a Mainsail compound and polish job.
Attached Thumbnails
Poly Glow-2012-12-07_15-31-44_172.jpg  
Old 02-04-2013

rwlpatrick is on a distinguished road

Now I’m even more torn than before! But thanks for all the input I’ve got a little more time to think about it.
Old 02-05-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

rw-
I would say that wax is less durable than pg, but once you have pg on something you need to maintain it, with their products, or you will get the look of old yellowing varnish instead of just losing the shine. So if you don't keep it up, wax can be easily removed and reapplied, while pg requires a lot more effort to strip and restart.
Some folks love it, but if you don't want to commit to it for "life"...the broker could be doing you a favor by getting it off now.