Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-02-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Inflatable tender for 30' sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
Stay away from Walker Bay air floor in my opinion. We have had nothing but trouble with ours and the repair gurus have given up on fixing the air floor, as soon as you fix one hole another appears. We had friends with a very expensive WB RIB, with center console and 20 hp. Also major problems and the company support was terrible.

We put Petit inflatable on our boat and never again. When you bring it on deck and fold it you get black powder everywhere. If it all fell off at once it would have been better. Ours just get falling off, now for more than three years.
Wow,

I have had the opposite luck with our Wlker Bay Odessey air floor. Great rigidity. Have used it over 6 seasons now and looks new. I bought the WB originally becauise their tubes were a little larger and could handle almostt 1100 lbs of payload. The valves are still in great condition as are the d rings attchments. The folding transome is an plus when deflatings also.

My wife has made custom cover for it while it hangs in the davits which may help a lot as it keeps the sun off it, a must for longevity with any dinghy lasting and developing leaks.

We also have a Garhauer radar pole which has a detachable engine hoist and it is a great piece of equipment. That along with the 11/4 Garhauer davits mean we utilize our dingy a lot as its easy to launch and carry. When we do the offshore surises we defelate and put the engine ( 5 hp Tahatsu) ob the rail) and dingy on the foreseck deflated at a low profile. Easy to fill with Scoprego high pressure 12V pump in 5 minutes. Sinnake halyard pulls it up over the lifelines andd lowers it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-03-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
I guess six years of your use would be more forgiving than three years of ours (use just about every day in tropics, being folded on deck for passages). We are just trying TP keep ours going until we get back to North America. Thinking of building a nestable dinghy afterward.
Old 02-04-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
I guess six years of your use would be more forgiving than three years of ours (use just about every day in tropics, being folded on deck for passages). We are just trying TP keep ours going until we get back to North America. Thinking of building a nestable dinghy afterward.
Yeah I figure your use is much greater than mine by a lot, but covering it just the same will preserve it in a major way. It's a mistake many make.

Is yours PVC or haplon?

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-04-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

We have the smallest Zodiac Zoom. It's often on sale at Defender, and I bought it last year during their big spring sale. It is nothing fancy, it is made of PVC and has a slat floor. It's pretty nice for the price.

It's a fine dinghy for 2 people, too small for 3 (I've carried 3, but someone's butt is likely to get wet). It rows pretty terribly but scoots along reasonably well on our 2 hp Honda outboard. That outboard is really light and reliable, but isn't powerful enough to get the dinghy up onto a plane.

I also bought a used Dyer Dhow Midget to try out this year. It rows much much better, probably tows better, and fits on the foredeck of our Pearson 28. I've only tried the outboard on it once and didn't have a tiller extension so I couldn't get my weight in the right place, but it seemed ready to plane. It's still realistically a 2 person dinghy, which is fine for my needs. I also got it because I liked the idea of being able to sail around anchorages.

One thing to realize with inflateables is that they get quite large and heavy pretty quickly. The small Zodiac Zoom that we have fits easily at the back of the quarterberth or under a lowered dinette table. It's 50lbs folded, so it is pretty easy to manhandle. It also takes less time to pump up, so putting it away when not in use isn't a big deal. In comparison my friend's Avon 10' inflatable takes more than twice as long to pump up, weighs twice as much, and takes up a lot more room. That would make it challenging to fit on a 30' boat.

I have a long trip this summer and will need to do some weekend shakedown cruises this spring to see which dinghy comes with me this summer.
Old 02-04-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Yeah I figure your use is much greater than mine by a lot, but covering it just the same will preserve it in a major way. It's a mistake many make.

Is yours PVC or haplon?
Ours is Hypalon. You just don't see PVC in the tropics.
Old 02-04-2013

CalypsoP35 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
don't bottom paint your dinghy, just scrub it down regularly. we have a 7' rubber duck slat floor which is adequate for our needs, but barely. if my transom was wider, I'd go bigger.
BL,

I've been bottom painting my inflatable for years with rubberized dinghy bottom paint. (I think I'm using a Petit product.) I have no interest is scrubbing it down regularly. I paint it in the spring, put it in the water and don't think about again until I pull it in late October. Once the season starts all I want to do is sail and/or relax on the boat, I try to minimize my in season maintenance. I never break it down and put it on deck, if i want to take it with us, I tow it.
Pearson P-35 #481

Last edited by CalypsoP35; 02-04-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-04-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

A little bit of a hijack here but how much drag does towing an 8-10' inflatable add to a <30' boat?
Old 02-04-2013

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road

On the Defender site it shows that the Zodiac Zoom has a 2 year warrenty whereas another model of a slat floor Zodiac has a 5 year. Both are PVC. Wonder how the slat floor compares with a inflatable floor. Also noticed that some inflatable floors are not high pressure.
Old 02-04-2013

CalypsoP35 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutoyz View Post
A little bit of a hijack here but how much drag does towing an 8-10' inflatable add to a <30' boat?
The weight of the dinghy is the controlling factor. There can be a big difference between various dinghy's usually based on the type of floor and bottom. But I estimate my 90 lb dingy costs me less than .5 kts under decent wind conditions. The outboard, of course gets stored on a mount on the rail.
Pearson P-35 #481
Old 02-04-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

So, why's it got to be an inflatable, a Porta-bote folds up nice on the stanchions, weighs a LOT less than inflatables of most sizes, planes on a small outboard etc..