Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-04-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Inflatable tender for 30' sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoP35 View Post
BL,

I've been bottom painting my inflatable for years with rubberized dinghy bottom paint. (I think I'm using a Petit product.) I have no interest is scrubbing it down regularly. I paint it in the spring, put it in the water and don't think about again until I pull it in late October. Once the season starts all I want to do is sail and/or relax on the boat, I try to minimize my in season maintenance. I never break it down and put it on deck, if i want to take it with us, I tow it.
I can see your point if you never haul your dink on deck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2013
Much to learn...

Capt-T is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Capt-T

Those of you with the Garhauer motor lift... is this easy to store when not in use? I'm assuming there must me some type of mounting hardware on the transom with a collapsable davit arm that stores when not in use. Is this correct? If so, does the arm completely remove from the mounting hardware? or just fold up in place? or something else... pics earn you bonus points!!
Old 02-04-2013

CalypsoP35 is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure who makes my motor lift, but on mine the arm folds folds down and the total storage space is basically two 2" diameter tubes side by side and the line in a bag. Requires very little storge space. The only hardware on deck is a stability ball on the deck and a ring on the rail.
Pearson P-35 #481
Old 02-05-2013

Sootydan is on a distinguished road

Thank you for all your input. I'll be keeping it in the water next to my boat at a marina and I'll tow it when I go on trips. I just have to decide which size I need now. Saturn has a 7.6', 8.6' and 9.6 footer. I was going for the 8.6 or 9.6. I wont be carrying alot of weight in it , two people max usually and not alot of gear. I have a 5HP Mercury OB that can use a portable gas tank If i want to. Saturn SD260 is 8.6 , selling for $775.00 + $59.00 shipping, probably a good size. I don't know anything about the Saturn brand.
Old 02-05-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Keeping it in the water all the time is pretty hard on the dinghy. Why not put it on the dock (with a rack that holds it vertical) when you don't have it in use? Otherwise you'll probably be hauled it out every couple of months to clean it anyway. If you aren't using it regularly (weekly?) the dinghy will last much much longer if you keep it deflated and put away when not in use. I bet a PVC dinghy will last only a few years if kept out in the sun, but go for decades if mostly kept rolled up and only inflated when it use. It takes me about 5 minutes to unpack and inflate my 7'7" Zodiac Zoom.

You can get an 8'6" Zodiac Zoom from Defender for less money than the Saturn that you are looking at. If you aren't in a rush it'll be even cheaper when they have their big spring sale (usually in April?). The Zoom is imported by Zodiac from China and made from PVC, so not comparable to their higher end boats, but it is probably at least as good as the Saturn and the company has wider representation so parts and warranty issues should be easier. The Saturn is also a PVC boat.

7'7" is plenty for two people and not much gear in my experience, 8'6" should be more than enough.
Old 02-05-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road

Are you set on needing a motor for your dinghy? I'm considering something like this inflatable kayak for our 26' boat. Cheap, light, no motor to worry about, etc.

Amazon.com: Sea Eagle SE370 Inflatable Kayak with Pro Package: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Sea Eagle SE370 Inflatable Kayak with Pro Package: Sports & Outdoors

Old 02-05-2013

4arch is on a distinguished road

We faced the same question a couple of years ago and ended up going with a West Marine RU-3 slat floor. It's 8'-6" and that has worked out to be a good size for the two of us and for our 30' boat. We can inflate it on top of the companionway hatch and store it on top of the foredeck upside down. It's light enough to launch easily from the deck and when we're finished with it we can roll it up into the size of a large duffel bag and throw it in the quarter berth. With the slat floor it doesn't track well under power and doesn't row well at all, but the ability to store it so compactly below decks usually makes that a reasonable compromise. If we had a larger boat we probably would have gone a little larger and with the high pressure air floor but we didn't want the tender to be unmanageable. Capacity wise, the 8'-6" would be tight with 3 adults even though it's rated for that capacity but it's fine for 2.
Old 02-05-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

A kayak is great to paddle, but hard to get into from a swim ladder and has little load capacity with two aboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-05-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
A kayak is great to paddle, but hard to get into from a swim ladder and has little load capacity with two aboard.
True. I guess it really depends on what you need the tender for, if you need to go get groceries and transport lots of stuff a long distance, you need the dinghy type with a motor, whereas if you (like us) just want to be able to paddle in to the beach/island/whatever from the anchored boat to hang out, then the kayak will work fine. It also probably helps that the transom on our boat is pretty low.
Old 02-05-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt-T View Post
Those of you with the Garhauer motor lift... is this easy to store when not in use? I'm assuming there must me some type of mounting hardware on the transom with a collapsable davit arm that stores when not in use. Is this correct? If so, does the arm completely remove from the mounting hardware? or just fold up in place? or something else... pics earn you bonus points!!
I dont have a picture as its rarely set up. I have the Garhauer radar pole with detachable engine hoist. On the pole are two permanent ring clamps about 2 feet apart with slots on the side of the clamps for a verticle pin,

The detachable hoists 2 arms with the verticle pins at the ends of them, unfold like accordian till reaching the 2 feet length and slide down into the slots and are locked in by a pin ring, The arms are then attached to the bar with a 6:1 purchase with a carniner on the end

Open link and click on the bottom radar pole picture to enlarge, Detachable hoist stores in a small bag about the size of a 3 foot piece of 2X4

Garhauer Marine Hardware -5537120

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner