Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-02-2013

Sootydan is on a distinguished road
Question Inflatable tender for 30' sailboat

[B]I was looking for a n inflatable boat to use as a tender for my 30' Cal. I see a Saturn SD260 8.6' and a 9.6' which is possibly a little big. Any ideas about these boats? The 8.6' can handle an 8HP outboard , I have a 5 HP. I can leave it in thw water next to my boat if I get some bottom paint for inflatables or lash it on the foredeck etc. Saw the boats on boats to go .com ]Saturn Inflatbale Boats. Inflatable Rafts and Kayaks.
any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2013

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Inflatable tender for 30' sailboat

I have a Mercury Inflatable I use a 3hp folding evinrude ,works great for me fits on front deck in slip tows behind, or stores below. I can sail with it on deck but it tends to be in the way. Mine has air floor I like it!...Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 02-02-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Hmmmm....?

Dead-haul 75+ pounds up on deck and then have a 41X24X12 bump to lash down? Iguess it could be done? AFA leaving it in the water.... While you're sailing, like a tow-behind? Or tethered up to a mooring ball? Or tied alongside while at anchor/moored/docked?
A lot depends on usage,I'd think. How much do you need to ship weight-wise? How many people at a time...with gear? Could be several trips.
Old 02-02-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

if it's going on deck might want to look at the Walker Bay. They have a transome that folds down. Makes it easier to lash down and with less sticking up less to get in the way. rigid portion plastic not glass. doesn't matter if it gets scratched up.rigid bottom is good- better ride,more stable.have had boards/inflatable floor- not as good IMHO as much more delicate.
Old 02-02-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Stay away from Walker Bay air floor in my opinion. We have had nothing but trouble with ours and the repair gurus have given up on fixing the air floor, as soon as you fix one hole another appears. We had friends with a very expensive WB RIB, with center console and 20 hp. Also major problems and the company support was terrible.

We put Petit inflatable on our boat and never again. When you bring it on deck and fold it you get black powder everywhere. If it all fell off at once it would have been better. Ours just get falling off, now for more than three years.
Old 02-02-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Have a Garhauer outboard hoist on the stern, and an outboard mount on the stern rail. Handling the 8hp Yamaha is easy now. Wish I had an equally good method for handling the dinghy itself (old Achilles LS4)... I store it across the head of the slip with the aid of a plank, and tow the dinghy when it's needed. I bought some dinghy wheels on Ebay to assist with moving the dinghy around the dock.

All Terrain Launching Transom Wheels Set for Inflatable Boat Dinghy Up to 300lb | eBay

I used to have 2.5hp, but 8 is WAY more fun...in the same way that 14 kts is more fun than 4
Old 02-02-2013

CalypsoP35 is on a distinguished road

Sooty, you've got to give us more info on how you plan to use the inflatable, will you need to store it on deck, are you on a mooring so that you need to ferry people and supplies? I keep my dinghy in the water all season long, so I've always had bottom paint on mine.

I just replaced my 11 yr old PVC inflatable with one from "Coastal Inflatables" I haven't used it yet, but I was pleased with the personal service when I called to ask questions. Even after I bought the owner was telling me how much I'd like it. He really sounded proud of his product even after the sale, which is usually a good sign.
Pearson P-35 #481
Old 02-02-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

don't bottom paint your dinghy, just scrub it down regularly. we have a 7' rubber duck slat floor which is adequate for our needs, but barely. if my transom was wider, I'd go bigger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-02-2013

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road

Calypso is right. You need tof igure out how you're gonna use it.

The West Advisor: Inflatable Boats

We used to have a small 8'-4" WM plywood floor with a 1.2HP Johynson one gear outboard that I could lift by hand.

Hard floors: no more. Air floors on Zodiacs are great.

We now have a 10'-2" Zodiac air floor with a 9.9 Evinrude, Garhauer motor lift. Lotsa fun.

Good luck.
Old 02-02-2013

SkywalkerII is on a distinguished road

Check out Sea Eagle. Good quality, significantly cheaper than name brands. Have had 8.5 foot for almost 10 years and it is in great shape.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.