SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Wd40 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/96314-wd40.html)

PAULCR1 02-03-2013 11:31 AM

Wd40

Hi All,

Just bought a S2 11, first boat, and would like to know what, if anything, I shouldn't use WD40 on? Will cause any damage to lines, fiberglass, etc.? I really like the freeing up properties of WD40 but don't want to over do it. Thanks for any input.

FSMike 02-03-2013 12:18 PM

Re: Wd40

WD-40 is designed to be applied to metal. Getting it on lines, fiberglass, etc., can stain and attract dirt.
There are better products on the market for freeing up rusty objects. Try PB Blaster aka Power Blast.

bigdogandy 02-03-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSMike (Post 985056)
WD-40 is designed to be applied to metal. Getting it on lines, fiberglass, etc., can stain and attract dirt.
There are better products on the market for freeing up rusty objects. Try PB Blaster aka Power Blast.

+1 on the PB Blaster....ditch the WD and get a can of PB. Wrap a rag around the parts you are spraying to keep the overspray from getting on everything else. Let it sit for a few minutes and you will be amazed at what it will free up.

And only use it to free up rusted metal...there are much better things to use for lubricating and freeing up other things (insert joke here____________).

chuck53 02-03-2013 12:57 PM

As far as freeing up frozen parts, I recently read where Liquid Wrench is even better than PB Blaster.

deltaten 02-03-2013 12:57 PM

The "wd" in WD-40's name stands for "water displacement. the 40 means it is/was the 40th formula..or attempt. Makes me wonder if it's soooo good; why did it take 40 tries! ;)
For all that, it works as intended; but not for much else. It is a modified fish oil in a specific carrier. It *will* dry up and turn waxy if left on a surface; usually to end up gumming the works.
It will not prevent rust, release stuck bolts or lubricate anything better than the proper solution for a specific problem. Mostly just that it's handy and universal. There are better/newer products for each issue; but none are usually to hand when ya need 'em.
:D

chuck53 02-03-2013 01:03 PM

You're right about how WD40 got it's name but I take issue on "if it's so good, why did it take 40 tries"?
Product development is usually a very time consuming, lengthy process. I have nothing to back this up, but I'm willing to bet $20 that 40 tries is way on the short side in the world of product development.

Minnewaska 02-03-2013 01:37 PM

WD40 is great stuff and I always have a can aboard. However, it isn't a universal lube or solvent and you do not want to get it on fabric.

bogdog 02-03-2013 03:40 PM

I think most people are under the impression that WD-40 will lubricate moving parts. It will but only briefly. It is meant to "displace moisture" (WD). It does lubricate for a bit but then actually dries out the parts you use it on. It works, like many other materials on the market today, to free up moving parts/bolts/nuts etc. In order to "lubricate" things after freeing them up, you must use a,,,, wait for it,,,, lubricating oil/material. On a lot of things around a boat I like to follow up with a light oil like 3 in one oil or one of the synthetic lubricants.

jrophoff 02-03-2013 04:02 PM

The best stuff I found for breaking things loose is kroil penetrating oil. I bought off amazon. It even lubricates too.

SloopJonB 02-03-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deltaten (Post 985085)
The "wd" in WD-40's name stands for "water displacement. the 40 means it is/was the 40th formula..or attempt. Makes me wonder if it's soooo good; why did it take 40 tries! ;)
For all that, it works as intended; but not for much else. It is a modified fish oil in a specific carrier. It *will* dry up and turn waxy if left on a surface; usually to end up gumming the works.
It will not prevent rust, release stuck bolts or lubricate anything better than the proper solution for a specific problem. Mostly just that it's handy and universal. There are better/newer products for each issue; but none are usually to hand when ya need 'em.
:D

Edison took over 10,000 attempts to get the light bulb working. :)

WD40 is mostly just kerosene.