Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road
Re: Gelcoat Mildew-I'm so sick of gelcoat mildew

I wonder also. Looks very safe, it might be the ticket. It seems to be really successful against mold and very very safe. Can't be hydrogen peroxide.

Found a cheaper tablet version, 1 tablet per 5 liters of water. Ships from the UK.

Corp website: Milton | Milton Sterilising Tablets

Tablet version:
Amazon.com: Milton Sterilising Tablets 56(2 Pack): Beauty Amazon.com: Milton Sterilising Tablets 56(2 Pack): Beauty

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2013

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Mr. Clean is the equivalent of a 1800 grit sandpaper. Just saying.
Well, that's not good news.. I guess it was too good to be true...

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 02-04-2013

OPossumTX is on a distinguished road

Has anyone tried "Wet it and forget it"? < http://wetandforget.com/surfaces_all...nd_forget.html >

I have used it on my roof and sidewalks to keep the dark algae and mold off my roof and driveway. It lasts for several months each treatment. Before I found it, I was pressure washing my drive and sidewalks at least twice a year and my light tan colored roof was nearly black. Where I live, between Houston and the Gulf of Mexico, if it is, it molds, gets ball moss, rots or rusts.

I had not thought of using it on Wenonah until I started reading this thread.

On the website (see Link above) it says it is good for boats.

I just read the label and it says not to apply it within 100 ft of any body of water.

Last edited by OPossumTX; 02-11-2013 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Edited to add 100 ft info.
Old 02-04-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

in that case just spray some copper sulfate with a pump sprayer. Works on roofs great; why not on a boat?
Old 02-04-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Would think you can wash with vinegar if you are worried about safety then wax. if using liquid wax can add a drop of fungicide into wax ( buy at any paint store) . Personally have used excess teak cleaner or oxalic acid ( woodbleach) to kill mold with fresh water flush immediately after. then dry and wax/bluff with random orbiter. Inside the boat ( lockers/lazerette etc) rub down with vinegar then Arm and Hammer Clean Shower then vinegar again.. Don't have your knowledge base. Only had trouble when boat stored insde. A few sunny days seem to work miracles. Good thing you're not allergic to mold. Must be horrible.
Old 02-04-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

"Wet and Forget" appears to be some sort of a pesticide. Not the kind of thing that I want to be dumping into the local waters.

I'm reading this thread with interest. My old Catalina 25 has the same problem (it is also in Seattle, on Lake Union), and I still sail on it often since a friend of mine bought it from me. I've never found the perfect solution, but Woody Wax was next on our list of things to try.

It's not a problem in the boat, only on the non-skid surfaces.
Old 02-04-2013

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Saturday morning I woke up to a sunny day and heard one of my neighbors with the pressure washer cleaning their deck/cockpit... I got the itch so got out the bleach/orange cleaner and a light cleaning pad and got the orange spots and mildew/mold that was starting to take hold and the cockpit is super clean... great but the weather turned cloudy and was not able to complete the deck.

I'll now have to put on a good coat of wax... thinking something from the auto section I can apply with a cloth without the heavy buffing... what's the best wax for the PNW weather I don't have to buff... wipe on only?
Old 02-05-2013
Break, curse, fix, repeat

bwindrope is on a distinguished road

There is no end of good options for toxic cleaners to kill the mold, both inside and outside of our boats. That's the good news. Inside, my Gulf is a teak palace, and I use lemon oil on the unvarnished teak and find that works well so long as I don't let it go too long.

No, my problem is really just on the decks. I would go the route of polishing and such, and have done that, but I find that even after a huge amount of work, with all the right products, I get maybe 4-5 months of decent shine and it is back to being powdery. So I'm done with the labor intensive options.

I like the idea of one of the simple wipe on pore fillers, and if they would leave a more lasting shine and plug the pores to prevent moisture and mold retention, then I am all for it. I have no plans to paint my hull anytime soon, so even if I use a product with polymers or silicone like Nu Finish, I don't care that I would have to strip it deep to paint it, because I have no plans to paint it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-05-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

If you get to it before it really stains the gelcoat, spray tub and tile cleaner works pretty well. Particularly, those that are bleach based.

I would buy an electric polisher and get to some serious waxing. All that cleaning does really stink. I can't stand being aboard, if it looks that bad. I bet a good waxing would be less work in the long run. Just don't wash it with anything that will take the wax off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-11-2013

OPossumTX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
"Wet and Forget" appears to be some sort of a pesticide. Not the kind of thing that I want to be dumping into the local waters.

I'm reading this thread with interest. My old Catalina 25 has the same problem (it is also in Seattle, on Lake Union), and I still sail on it often since a friend of mine bought it from me. I've never found the perfect solution, but Woody Wax was next on our list of things to try.

It's not a problem in the boat, only on the non-skid surfaces.
I went out and bought some "Wet and Forget" over the weekend. It says on the label something to the effect of not to apply it within 100ft of a stream, lake or other body of water to prevent contamination by run off. Perhaps it would only be suitable to be applied on the hard or on trailer boats away from the water until the stuff drys. I know it worked on my Rubbermaid mail box, composition shingle roof, brick walls, car port and sidewalks all of which are at least several hundred feet from any body of water.

If you rushed out and bought some, I suggest that you read and obey the label to avoid illegal activities concerning the product.

Last edited by OPossumTX; 02-11-2013 at 08:24 PM.