Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Boom rise with reefing... How much?

On my mainsail, when I put a reef, 2 or three reefs in, the end of the boom raises quite a bit off the level of the deck. With no reefs the boom is parallel to the deck. With 2 reefs the main boom seems like it's trying to point at the north star.

I've heard that the boom is supposed to rise with reefing because it helps keep the boom from snapping off if it gets caught in a wave in a rolly sea while going downwind. Of course it is more likely to be a rolly sea in higher winds (thus the reef) but rolly sea states can exist with little wind and thus you'd have the main unreefed.

It also seems to me that having to let out a bunch of mainsheet (to allow for boom rise) makes reefing more difficult. If you let out the pre-determined amount of mainsheet before hauling in the reefing line, you'll have an out of control boom. If you do it the other way, you have to go back and forth between adjusting the reefing line and mainsheet.

Is the boom supposed to rise with reefing and if so by how much? How do y'all deal with the need for extra mainsheet while reefing?

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Re: Boom rise with reefing... How much?

It varies from boat to boat. I have sailed some in which the boom does not rise at all.

You want your reefing lines taut so that the sail flattens and depowers. Going upwind the sail should be luffing when you reef; there should be no tension on the mainsheet. Reefing going downwind can get tricky.

The extra mainsheet should not be an issue.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 02-04-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Your topping lift should support the boom during the reef... simply luff the sail, drop it, tighten the reef tack, then the clew, then rehoist the halyard and tension. Remember to leave enough ease on the vang to absorb your boom lift (which must have been built into the sail by the sailmaker) - btw the angle of the reef 'foot' should be readily visible when the sail is fully deployed. If the reefed 'foot' line doesn't look as angled as the boom ends up it would seem that something's not set/tightened quite right during the reefing process. Having said that, though, I'd think that boom drop would be a more likely problem when people fail to adequately re-hoist the sail after putting a reef in.

Pictures would help tremendously here!....
chef2sail likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-04-2013
Closet Powerboater

Do you guys think boom lift is helpful at all while reefing?

Medsailor

Old 02-04-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Boom lift does reduce sail area a bit.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 02-04-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Do you guys think boom lift is helpful at all while reefing?

Medsailor
It seems not for you. Boom lift prevents the boom to get lower than what should be. I don't understand why your boom goes up. If you are lowering the main and have not the boom secured by the boom lift or a have strong boom jack, the weight of the sail should bring the boom down.

The only thing I can thought is that you have a very powerful boom jack but if that's the case you have just to pull it down to the right position before reefing.

Regards

Paulo
Old 02-05-2013
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
It seems not for you. Boom lift prevents the boom to get lower than what should be. I don't understand why your boom goes up. If you are lowering the main and have not the boom secured by the boom lift or a have strong boom jack, the weight of the sail should bring the boom down.

The only thing I can thought is that you have a very powerful boom jack but if that's the case you have just to pull it down to the right position before reefing.

Regards

Paulo
Hmmm.... Good point. I don't have a boom jack, but I do have a topping lift that I rarely adjust. When I put a reef in I have to let out a bunch of mainsheet and then as I pull the reefing line in the end of the boom lifts up to meet the new clew.

Then, when I shake out the reef I let the reefing line out slowly and the boom comes back down. Were I to loose control of that line it would "fall" back down to horizontal where the topping lift would catch it.

Perhaps I should phrase my question differently:

Is there any reason that I shouldn't just have the sail built so that the boom stays level with each reef?

MedSailor

Old 02-05-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Is there any reason that I shouldn't just have the sail built so that the boom stays level with each reef?

MedSailor
Probably not, unless you do intend to reach/run in big seas when reefed. If you're hanging around the San Juans primarily, or inside waters of BC you may not need the 'clearance' that the high clew provides.

Certainly if you're getting a new sail made you should have it made how you want it. If you're close to buying a sail, have your sailmaker look at what you've got (on the boat so he can see the setup) no doubt he'd have some input.
jackdale likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-05-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

What's happening at the front of the sail? Are your sail lugs/slides bunching up and having a bunch of sail on top of the boom near the mast track? On the third reef I let the slides out of the track.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 02-05-2013

sonofasonofasailer456 is on a distinguished road
Reefing

Sounds to me like your raising the boom when you reef, the idea when reefing is to shorten sail and lower the center of effort, keeping the sail balanced, somewhat, by raising the boom the amount that you reduce the pressure is very little. imho

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.