SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   painted or anodized mast (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/96384-painted-anodized-mast.html)

blueblisteringbarnacles 02-05-2013 02:27 PM

painted or anodized mast

OK, I've read posts that discuss painting over an anodized surface, and anodizing over a painted surface, but none that discuss the relative merits if one is starting from scratch.

Is it just a cosmetic advantage for paint [assuming you like white or some other color] as opposed to longevity for anodizing?

DougSabbag 02-05-2013 02:36 PM

Re: painted or anodized mast

I would assume that the biggest advantage to painting the spars would be that I can do it myself. Which is therefore a lot less expensive.

I used Imron to paint my main mast a few years ago, and it still looked excellent right up until it smashed to the deck..... :-(

How much money would anodizing a 60 foot mast cost?

blueblisteringbarnacles 02-05-2013 03:35 PM

To be clear, the question is: if you have a choice from the factory, which is a better option.

Tim R. 02-05-2013 03:50 PM

I would anodize if looks are not a concern. You really only have a few color choices. You can always paint it later if needed. Painting is relatively cheap.

Never heard of anodizing over paint. You would have to strip it first and it would be very expensive.

outbound 02-05-2013 03:58 PM

just went though this myself and was told:
virtually new all masts are anodized in this day and age .then painted if asked for.
paint does not give significant protection from stratches or wear.

paint- some think more "finished and prettier" but likely to get defects esp. if stick taken in and out. repairs to paint may not exactly match and are a pain to do.

anodized- stratches fade in to general color of mast quickly and not nearly so apparent. Doesn't look as "classy" to some.

I went with unpainted anodized as I thought I don't need another thing to chase. Boat before me has white painted spar/boom and does look sharp. It's a matter of personal choice.

DougSabbag 02-05-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueblisteringbarnacles (Post 986136)
To be clear, the question is: if you have a choice from the factory, which is a better option.

Ohhh, sorry I misunderstood.

For whatever it is worth, I would buy the anodized.

Barquito 02-05-2013 04:55 PM

Personally, I think bare aluminum looks fine.

rugosa 02-05-2013 05:56 PM

Paint is soft and more vulnerable

Check this out - What Is Hard Anodizing?

Minnewaska 02-05-2013 06:51 PM

A painted mast is gorgeous.

However, there are enough maintenance items aboard than to need another, particularly one that requires stepping the mast and removing all the rigging. A painted mast will get scratched and it will need to be repainted. Some say that moisture under a paint scratch will corrode the aluminum much faster than bare aluminum.

I say, no paint.

benesailor 02-05-2013 07:49 PM

Aluminum should not be painted unless need be. Moisture under paint will eat it alive. This is why painting aluminum hulls is not recommended. Check out a Coast guard boat. No paint. It is very hard to get paint to bond to aluminum. You have to go through some etching processes then use special primers to get a good bond.
Anodize is bonded to the aluminum. In addition; any corrosion will be highlighted because the anodize coat is thin.