SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Bimini Ideas (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/96385-bimini-ideas.html)

H2814D 02-05-2013 03:08 PM

Bimini Ideas

Ok. So summer is coming and I sail on Lake Mead, Nevada (read 115 degrees F with lots of bright sun) and I want to attach a bimini to the boat. Here, though, is the issue: end of the boom main sheet and the traveler is attached inside the rear of the cockpit. If you look at my photo you can see what I am talking about. So how does one account for the clearance of the main sheet as it moves side to side with a bimini top up? Is the top designed with an opening of some type? I do not want to move the traveler anywhere else.

The boat is a 1979 Islander Bahama 30.

Anyone?...and thanks in advance for any helpful replies/pictures.
HD.

Rhys05 02-05-2013 03:25 PM

Re: Bimini Ideas

Not much help to you, but I've been wondering the same thing about my boat, as the traveler is in the middle of the cockpit (well, really about 25% of the way from the back to the front) and the backstay is connected at the back of the cockpit too. I'm guessing that I'll have to go with something that only covers from the companionway to just forward of the traveler, and then either sit in the sun while hand steering or use the autopilot when I don't want to be in the sun.

Tallswede 02-05-2013 04:10 PM

You could use two smaller biminis with a slot between the two for the mainsheet. The trailing edge of the front shade needs to be curved to allow the mainsheet to run out. The rear bimini could have a curve to the leading edge to maximise the shade.

Kevin

Barquito 02-05-2013 04:46 PM

Maybe use a boom tent while at anchor, and a wide brimmed hat while sailing.

chef2sail 02-05-2013 04:58 PM

The backstay. Our backstay also impacts the bimini so the back edge of the bimini has a fore to aft zipper installed midway across it . End stop on the forward portion is about 1/2 the distance in, There are two zipper pulls on it, one at the end stop halfway in pulls towartd the aft and closes the zipper till it runs into the backstay. The other zipper pull strats at the back edge of the zipper slit and closes the zipper pulling forward to the bacstay, Essentially you make a slip and put a zipper in it and pullit closed back to the backstay and forward to the backstay.

Seaduction 02-05-2013 05:11 PM

Maybe talk to the local canvas shop that does biminis, dodgers, etc.

ncapener 02-05-2013 11:20 PM

Have you considered moving your boat to the British Columbia coast? Summer temperatures rarely exceed 65 deg. A good set of rain gear is all you need.

Neal