SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Fastenal, who knew? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/96557-fastenal-who-knew.html)

T37Chef 02-11-2013 07:57 PM

Fastenal, who knew?

Just thought I would share,

I was searching for some large replacement bolts/nuts/washers for a rudder repair and found Fastenal. I had not heard of this company, but I am glad I found it, better late than never I suppose. They have a great selection of Stainless Steel & 316 SS nuts & bolts, among many other things. They don't advertise much I guess, their primary clientèle is contractors but they are open to the public. I was surprised to find how many locations they have, at least in Maryland, they're everywhere. It appears pricing is very good, especially compared to marine stores. The same bolt I needed was almost 4X cost at West Marine. They don't sell most things by the piece so it may not be cost effective for most DIY.

Home | Fastenal

blt2ski 02-11-2013 08:02 PM

Re: Fastenal, who knew?

There are a number of stores like them around for hardware like this. White Cap is another, local in puget sound is Tacoma Screw.....Even a local Ace or true value can get SS stuff for you if you can wait for decent prices.

Marty

CorvetteGuy 02-11-2013 08:05 PM

Seen the trucks driving around my small town in Cobourg Ontario, so they must be up to some good.

T37Chef 02-11-2013 08:15 PM

Yes, some ACE Hardware have good selections, the one near our marina is great, but nothing close to what I saw today ;)

Omatako 02-11-2013 08:41 PM

Maybe the suppliers are not the same where you are as to where I am but if they are, beware.

In New Zealand we have a brilliant SS hardware supplier for fasteners and other stainless stuff, their catalogue is like a sailors Aladdin's Cave. See it here: Anzor Stainless Steel

But if you walk in off the street and buy something that will cost you say $100, the registered company that holds an account with them pays as little as $18 for the exact same order. It is, to me at least, absolutely iniquitous. I discovered this when I bought a component that they charged me $48 for and I was later told that someone from the marine industry would have paid just $11 for it.

I have a friend who runs a marine fabrication business and I now buy everything from them on his account and pay him the price in cash. My fastener costs have been fabulously reduced since then.

Maybe where you live is different.

HUGOSALT 02-11-2013 08:46 PM

First became aware of Fastenal few years ago when my business
partners son-in-law was working in one of their stores.
Understand they are a multi billion $ business and one of the largest
if not the largest in their field. Yes understand primarily supplying the contractors.
Sadly son-in-law has since moved on...

bljones 02-11-2013 09:34 PM

Fastenal was the first supplier to offer me jobber pricing. Great crew.

chef2sail 02-11-2013 09:38 PM

Fastenal good stuff. I have used them. But your right about the bulk. I usually check our ACE , assuming you are using the MtN Road I do. Sometimes they surprise you.

I have a Fastenal store near me in Towson two miles away If you see some thing you want from he you can order it or see online if that store has it in inventory and I can pick it up for you

Dave

SVTatia 02-11-2013 09:44 PM

Not all stainless steel are the same. Their prices are good but they were not able to tell me where they get their stainless from. There is a lot of SS stuff from China, and I would not buy them due to their horrible quality. If the store doesn't disclose the source I spend my money elsewhere. Please beware of low SS prices.

T37Chef 02-11-2013 09:52 PM

Good point SVTatia, but then where else do you recommend?

Whitecap mentioned earlier only has a couple locations in the DC metro area, neither are convenient to get to. Fastenal has 10 stores within 30 minutes of home, one is literally 2 miles from home, one is about 8 miles from the boat. Just sayin ;)