SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Reputable sail loft Vancouver? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/96584-reputable-sail-loft-vancouver.html)

Capnblu 02-12-2013 02:28 PM

Reputable sail loft Vancouver?

I would to send my main in to be inspected and restitched. Any loft recommendations in the Vancouver BC area? Thanks Brian :)

Faster 02-12-2013 02:34 PM

Re: Reputable sail loft Vancouver?

We've lost a lot of sailmakers in Vancouver of late.. Not sure that anyone besides Leitch and McBride in North Van, or North sails in Richmond is doing on-site repairs. Obviously for you L&M makes more sense.

You might call Evolution sails on Powell st, they may do some of that work but I don't know anything about them.

Storch is still working but over near Nanaimo on Vancouver Island - not exactly convenient.

bwindrope 02-12-2013 03:18 PM

I know it would be a pain, but really, bring em over to Carol Hasse in Port Townsend! I wish I owned a fleet of sailboats just to send her loft more and more work. They do such beautiful, and professional and bombproof work, and are a pleasure to work with.

I know, I know, you'd have to ferry to Victoria, and then ferry to Port Townsend, but I'm just saying--her loft is the Taj Mahal for me.

KBuckley 02-12-2013 10:16 PM

I have had work done by both North Sails and Evolution and been happy with both. Evolution did a fast & good repair on my main last summer and are currently making a new main & foresail for me (thru their loft in Toronto).

SloopJonB 02-12-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwindrope (Post 989197)
I know it would be a pain, but really, bring em over to Carol Hasse in Port Townsend! I wish I owned a fleet of sailboats just to send her loft more and more work. They do such beautiful, and professional and bombproof work, and are a pleasure to work with.

Is her place called The Artful Dodger? I saw some of their work at P.T. boat festival and it was outstanding and a VERY catchy & memorable name.

Quote:

I know, I know, you'd have to ferry to Victoria, and then ferry to Port Townsend,
Nope - drive town Whidbey island to the Keystone ferry and straight across. You can leave your car and do a walk on if you're staying right in P.T.

SloopJonB 02-13-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capnblu (Post 989177)
I would to send my main in to be inspected and restitched. Any loft recommendations in the Vancouver BC area? Thanks Brian :)

Use Leitch & McBride - they are across from the Air Scare testing station at the bottom of Pemberton in North Van. I've used them and they are cheap & fast - been around for years too. I found dealing with them to be much the same as dealing with Gary Storch but less eccentric. ;)

bwindrope 02-13-2013 05:29 PM

SloopJonB,
No, Carol Hasse's shop is called Port Townsend Sails at Port Townsend Sails - new sails and repair for all sailboats

And you're right, you can do the Whidbey ferry thing. I happen to love crossing the Straits of Georgia and Straits of Juan de Fuca, and go out of my way to do so whenever I can!