Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-12-2013
Break, curse, fix, repeat

bwindrope is on a distinguished road
Twin Disc MG 360-New transmission for Aeolus

I went today to pick up the new transmission for Aeolus after accepting the fact that old Hurth HBW 100 was not long in this world. It had begun to slip going into gear, and only an increase in RPM gets her to engage. She is 25 years old, but has only 1200 hours or so. This is a common way for these Hurth's to eventually die. As I explain in far greater detail in my blog, I eventually decided a new transmission was my best option, and that going with a Twin Disc Mg 360 was my best choice.

For anyone interested or facing a similar situation, here is a link to my blog post where I explain my decision making process and the differences between the Hurth and Twin Disc trannies: Stories of Aeolus- Our Gulf 32 Pilothouse: Twin Disc MG 360-New transmission for Aeolus

When I do the install, I will post pictures and stories to help other folks who may face this same common situation. I found very little information about the details of this decision and process and so hope my blog is of some use to someone else out there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2013

newpbs is on a distinguished road
Re: Twin Disc MG 360-New transmission for Aeolus

My Hurth failed in much the same way. We were motoring along and realized that the trans was slipping. We just weren't making much headway.

We had a Twin Disc TMC 40 P installed. I was a close match to our original Hurth (which I think was the HBW 100 also).

We only have about 20 hours or so on the new Twin Disc. So far so good. It has a slightly higher pitched sound, but it runs nice and smooth. Good luck
Old 02-13-2013
Break, curse, fix, repeat

bwindrope is on a distinguished road
Re: Twin Disc MG 360-New transmission for Aeolus

That's good to hear. Good luck to you too. The only other blog post I've found about making this switch is on an Alberg 37 here: SHEARWATER

He hasn't said, but I take it they continue to have good luck with their new Twin Disc because they are now down in the Bahamas a few years after putting the new one in. His saga with Hurth failures was truly epic! A cautionary tale for what can go wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
hurth hbw 100 , twin disc mg 360

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.