Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SloopJonB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013

SirRedemption is on a distinguished road
Stern pulpit on a 28 columbia?

Trying to locate one. trying to figure out what other boats might fit. Im in California. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2013

capttb is on a distinguished road
Re: Stern pulpit on a 28 columbia?

Try Minney's
MINNEY'S YACHT SURPLUS - WE MAKE BOATING AFFORDABLE
Or the people who probably made it originally Railmakers in Costa Mesa
Columbia Yachts
Old 02-15-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

You'd be very lucky to find one from 'another boat' that fits without modification. Minneys or the original fabricator is by far the best bet for starters, but much of this kind of stuff is otherwise custom made. Often rigging shops provide (or have access to) these services.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-15-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Here is a GOB article on making stern pulpit seats. Good Old Boat - Pushpit seats: Comfort in the cockpit article
Old 02-15-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

There's a boat wrecking yard in Long Beach that advertizes on CL - they sound like they have lots of railings.

The easiest way to fit an existing pulpit to a different boat is to find a pair of split or corner pulpits - then the overall width doesn't matter. They're a helluva lot easier to transport as well.
Faster likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 02-15-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
There's a boat wrecking yard in Long Beach that advertizes on CL - they sound like they have lots of railings.
I think that's the "Minney's" mentioned above.... There's another sailboat wrecker (also advertising on CL) in Bellingham WA. http://www.sailboatwreckingyard.com/

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-15-2013

capttb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
but much of this kind of stuff is otherwise custom made.
True for those with fancy, semi-custom hand built boats, but for those of us with "production boats" built in the now extinct sailboat sweatshops of southern California it's amazing how many parts came "off the rack".
I hadn't thought of it but getting a fabricator to rebuild/repair what you've got might be an option.
You don't get to be a moderator with a name like Faster by being the last one in line for chow every day.
Old 02-15-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I think that's the "Minney's" mentioned above.... There's another sailboat wrecker (also advertising on CL) in Bellingham WA. Home Page
No, a different place.

Location, Best Place for Used Sailboat Parts

Minneys are in Costa Mesa (Mecca for GOB owners ).

I checked out the place in Bellingham a while back. They are in the last stages of converting from cars to boats. They seem serious about it and if they pull it off they will be a great resource for us bottom feeders.

Most of their stuff was for smaller boats - 20' range but they had just sold a complete Westie 32 for less than $10K. It was still there when I was there and it was a screaming deal for a project minded person - it wasn't a wreck by any means but it was going to take more than a polishing to get it back. It was an old guys project and he had died.

They're a little difficult to find. Their address is on Guide Meridian but they are in the rural part and set way back from the road down a dirt road - you have to sort of deduce that the road is the address from the ones on either side.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 02-16-2013

SirRedemption is on a distinguished road

I contacted Minney's already their a great place and Ive done business with them many times in the past.

this is all they gave me to go on "We have many possibilities in stock." Im going to just have to go down and take measurements. for those that dont know I live like 60 miles from where my boat is slipped. So its not so simple to just kick on over to the boat. But I am going to just end up going to both.

As for fab. I can weld but not stainless. I also dont know if I would trust my own welds

As for the salvage yard in Long Beach I know the owner and have done business with him before as well. He is one of my last resorts when all other options fail because he takes boats for free from poor saps who didnt know what they were getting into by buying an old boat and then turns around and inefficiently murder chops them to pieces and if you do attempt to buy a part from him that he was going to send to the scrap yard for 50 cents in scrap he will try to sell it to you for 50% of retail value. So he is only as a last resort.