Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Yikes! Mooring System Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Hey,

Here in the north shore of Long Island (south side of the LI Sound), the towns regulate moorings. I own my mooring gear but need to purchase a mooring permit each year. The mooring can be placed in the spring and must be hauled by December. The upside is that the place that drops and hauls my mooring also inspects it and replaces components as required.

Barry
You may want to get on the towns mooring committee to get them to address the issue of continuously un-setting moorings..... I know many towns think they are doing a good thing by mandating removal but this only causes problems with an entire mooring field of partially set moorings. The harder the bottom type the longer it takes these moorings to properly set. A mushroom "screws" into the bottom by the boat moving around it. A properly set mushroom will have the shank near vertical and the bell buried 3'-6' below the bottom.. My diver charges me $75.00 to dive my mooring and inspect it and it remains set....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 02-16-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

Mainsail i understand what your saying and when in orient harbor we dived it and did repairs

BUT in the big picture around here so many people would leave the dam thing in until it failed it seems to give the best result as i have been through many hurricanes and big storms without dragging issues in a field of 800 some odd boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 02-16-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
Mainsail i understand what your saying and when in orient harbor we dived it and did repairs

BUT in the big picture around here so many people would leave the dam thing in until it failed it seems to give the best result as i have been through many hurricanes and big storms without dragging issues in a field of 800 some odd boats
Here in Falmouth we have mandatory mooring inspections. No inspection, no mooring... Get kicked out of the mooring field for failure to comply and you go to the back of the waiting list. It could be a loooong wait... Moorings are a privileged not a guarantee so you need to comply with the local ordinance...

There are only four or five mooring companies "certified" by the town to do these inspections, which keeps the quality of the work consistent, and you MUST have an inspection report on file with the harbormaster to moor your boat..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 02-16-2013

klem is on a distinguished road

Maine Sail provided a very good list of suggestions as always. The only thing that I would add is that there are many types of swivels and they are not created equal. The two main differences are the eyes and how they are attached. I like solid eyes which you need to put a shackle into as they are by far the most secure. I would never rely on one with a pin held in by a cotter pin, these are fine in applications where they are inspected regularly and there is no corrosion but they are inappropriate for moorings.

Regarding how the two halves of the swivel are attached, it is done in many different ways including peening a stud over, a nut, a welded nut, and welding. I like a nut that is thoroughly welded on the best. as there is a lot of meat there. I remember seeing a good writeup comparing the types but I unfortunately don't remember where it was.
Old 02-16-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

(OP) Here in the Annapolis area, other than not obstructing channels or access, there is an odd lack of rules regarding mooring buoys. You can drop them wherever you like provided that you have access to them. There are no regulations or ordinances about inspections or standards. You're really on your own.

This is good advice. Thanks. Even though we don't have anything close to Maine conditions ... I'm going to upgrade mine to New England standards particularly with the swivel.
Old 02-16-2013

billyruffn will become famous soon enough

It's not a good idea to leave the ball in place during the winter. If you drop the top chain to the bottom, as MaineSail has suggested, it's better for the chain. If it stays hooked up to the ball the top several feet of the chain will wear away faster for two reasons: more O2 in the water to make rust, and the constant motion of the ball moving in wind and swell causes the chain just below the ball to wear faster. Do as MS recommends and drop the top chain into the mud with a line and small bouy attached to facilitate it's recovery in the spring.
Old 02-16-2013

billyruffn will become famous soon enough

Nothing quite like the bond between a man and his mooring!
Attached Thumbnails
Yikes! Mooring System Failure-92683374.jpg  
Old 02-16-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyruffn View Post
Nothing quite like the bond between a man and his mooring!
Does the fact that the mooring is in a mostly fresh slighly brackish water have any bearing on corrosion. Our YC has three mooorings just a little further north than the OP and I am going to have them checked after reading what happened to his.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-16-2013

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road

I, too, leave my mooring in. At the end of the boating season, six adjacent mooring owner remove our pendants, tie the moorings together with 3/8" polypropelene line, and drop them for the winter. In the Spring it takes about 15 minutes to grapple for the polypro line. When you find one mooring chain you've found them all.
Old 02-16-2013
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
You may want to get on the towns mooring committee to get them to address the issue of continuously un-setting moorings..... I know many towns think they are doing a good thing by mandating removal but this only causes problems with an entire mooring field of partially set moorings. The harder the bottom type the longer it takes these moorings to properly set. A mushroom "screws" into the bottom by the boat moving around it. A properly set mushroom will have the shank near vertical and the bell buried 3'-6' below the bottom.. My diver charges me $75.00 to dive my mooring and inspect it and it remains set....
How hard is the bottom? My mooring must be inspected every 3 yrs, but, I've had a diver jet my mooring into the bottom so that it's completely under the mud.

The diver is also a third generation marina owner and swears that getting the mooring gear under the mud not only is better holding but that the iron rusts slower under the muck.

Tags
chain , corrosion , mooring , shackle