Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013

JohnnyChristo is on a distinguished road
which binoculars ??

Hi any advice about suitable binoculars ? Are the ones with built in compasses any value?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: which binoculars ??

I have a pair of the West Marine Tahiti (7X50) binoculars (built in compass). I like them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 02-16-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

We have tried a wide variety of binocs and have been very happy with our Fujinons. We carry a cheap set and the much better military grade. The cheap set float but are not nearly as clear as the higher end Fujis.

The reason we went with Fuji over Steiner is the field of view at the eyepiece (I forget the dang name for that!!) is better. Steiner also makes a great set though and I would consider them too and see which feels best. The only negative of the high-end Fuji is they are heavier than the steiners and larger as I recall.

Regarding the compass, yes, I would have at least one set with a compass in them. You can use it to take bearings and verify with charts. Because you have narrowed in on the object of interest, I believe they give a much more accurate reading than using the boats compass.

Do be aware, a good set of binocs are not cheap... I think our low end Fujis were around $200 and our Polaris were 600-700. Well worth it though (especially when setting on the deck and doing night viewing... really clear). They are also great at night. You can see things with them that otherwise are often too dim to see.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-16-2013

bristol299bob is on a distinguished road

I've got a Nikon Ocean Pro and a WM Tahiti. Both at 7x50 and both have compass.

Optically he Nikon is remarkable, the Tahiti is fine as a second pair.

You definitely want 7x50, its the right trade off of mag power and stability. The compass is nice feature but too jumpy to get an accurate bearing (I use a proper hand bearing compass for that ... I like the hockey puck style)

I do use the compass though ... say I'm looking for a marker and I know it should be at ~235 degrees ... the compass is very helpful in those instances.
Hull #5
Oriental NC
Old 02-16-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Depending what your needs are? If you need to read off the number on the buoy to get a fix, you need a good one. Go for a Steiner. Oh yeah, alway with compass option. No matter how many GPS on board, it is always nice to get a fix on the paper chart when I am in a unfamiliar water.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 02-16-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Steiner are overpriced and overvalued in my opinion. Many years ago in the Dusseldorf boat show I went to the dealer to buy one. The guy represented two brands, Steiner and Eterna by Silva. I tried both and at least with the illumination on the boat fair, the Silva give a more luminous and better image. I bought the Eterna instead at almost half the price.

Now I am with my second pair and I have no regrets. I don't know who make the binoculars. They remain Eterna but Silva was bought and today they are represented by Nexus.

Nexus Eterna Marine II 7x50. Navigation Binoculars, Waveinn.com, buy, offers, nautical & fishing

Old 02-16-2013

BCC1 is on a distinguished road

Steiner Commander XP

The optics are really great and they're good in the rain.

Steiner Commander XP Binoculars
Old 02-16-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Definitly with compass.
If you are a couple then get two paurs, His and Hers, then when you are looking at something you just call out the bearing and the other person can find it too.

I doubt you need Steiners... but if you can afford them go for it... Oh, Image stabalised is good too.... but its money!
Old 02-16-2013

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road

Johnny, unless you tell us what your intended USE is, answers will be meaningless.

eh's suggestion of WM is good. Why? In my case, because they have a lifetime warantee. I've replaced a few over the course of the years - like free replacement binoculars!!! Yes, of course, they shouldn't fog up, but stuff happens. I've never found a need for the compass feature.

Now, if I was going offshore for years, I'd have a completely different approach and would start to deal with the better manufacturers.

I've been sailing on boats with binoculars for 25 years.
Old 02-16-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

We've tended to use whatever the Oz version of West Marine has on sale as our day to day pair. A pair of Tamaya military style are similar in the day but definitly better night visio. Bought a pair of Canon Image stabilised late last year and although not 7 * 50 they are excellent on board in a sea. Biggest problem with the cheapies is that one decent knock is all it takes to bugger them.

The Tamayas otoh are still working perfectly well into their dotage. then again maybe that has something to do with looking after them while the cheapies tend to just hang about the cockpit.

Andrew B

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Tags
binoculars , equipment , navigation