SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Installing a propane sniffer (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/96754-installing-propane-sniffer.html)

johnnyquest37 02-18-2013 12:10 PM

Installing a propane sniffer

Hello all;

Am installing a propane/gasoline/hydrogen gas detector/alarm system. The system is composed of a detector (sniffer) and a control/alarm box. These two units are connected with a 20' long cable and the control box is wired to the 12v system.

Question: Where is the best place to install the detector? I want to ensure that it stays dry, stays out of the way (isn't kicked or smashed), but is still in a position to detect any propane fumes.

Ideas? Suggestions?

jackdale 02-18-2013 12:15 PM

Re: Installing a propane sniffer

Install the detector right under the stove. Out of the way and will "sniff" quickly.

SVTatia 02-18-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackdale (Post 991808)
Install the detector right under the stove. Out of the way and will "sniff" quickly.

... I am hitching a ride here as I am also interested.

Jack, this is good place to install, but what if the leak is elsewhere? Would be wise to mount more than one sniffer? One under the stove, another in the bilge where gas would accumulate? I have a deep bilge that could be a problem since they have to kept dry.

One sidebar question if I may - what if the sniffer sniffs? What are you supposed to do? (I see jokes coming my way).

jackdale 02-18-2013 01:51 PM

The propane hose should be one piece from the solenoid to the stove with no connectors. The leak will likely be either at end of those fittings. If it is in the propane locker, the propane should drain overboard. If it is at the stove end, it will trigger the sniffer.

If the sniffer does go off, turn off the tank. Do not operate any electrical switches. Open the bilge, open all hatches, get a breeze going through the boat. The propane should waft out of the boat eventually.

rwlpatrick 02-18-2013 03:57 PM

Installing a propane sniffer

Propane is heavier than air so if you have a leak it is going to seek the lowest place to pool. You could have a leak around your feet and not smell it until you start moving it around. Place it as low and close to your propane source as possible.

Faster 02-18-2013 05:44 PM

In our case we also have a bulkhead mount propane 'fireplace'... so two appliance connections below. The sniffer should be applied low near the sole, probably not in the bilge because the sole plates might prevent the gas from getting to it, aside from the 'keep it dry' issues... With two appliances I'd put it midway between them....

mitiempo 02-18-2013 06:11 PM

Sniffers that incorporate a solenoid control usually close the solenoid when propane is sensed.

MarkSF 02-18-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVTatia (Post 991822)
One sidebar question if I may - what if the sniffer sniffs? What are you supposed to do? (I see jokes coming my way).

To quote Blackadder, the correct procedure in event of a propane buildup is to launch yourself 50ft into the air, and scatter yourself over a wide area.