SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Sizing a spinnaker pole (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/96769-sizing-spinnaker-pole.html)

PaulinVictoria 02-18-2013 09:55 PM

Sizing a spinnaker pole

So the J measurement on my boat is 10'6", would a pole 9'4" work? I know they are usually chosen to be "around" the same as the J, but how close is still "around"?

Faster 02-18-2013 10:18 PM

Re: Sizing a spinnaker pole

Poles are generally at least J length... often slightly longer despite the rating penalty one would take.

Problem with a short pole is that in light air when you are sailing pole down (esp if the butt end is not on a track) the end of the pole and the tack of the spoinnaker end up inside the headstay and if you're reaching the sail is 'wrapped' across the stay.

This leaves the possibility of the pole coming up on the wrong side of the forestay, and you can imagine what that might to to the sail if the crew on the pole lift is heads down and doesn't notice what's going on. With a proper length pole it always stays on the weather side of the forestay, giving you the projection you'll need/want.

A foot shorter would 'work'.... but not well - even running deep you'll lose 'girth' due to lack of projection.

PaulinVictoria 02-18-2013 10:28 PM

Yeah, I could see that turning into a bit of a mess. Oh well, was a pretty much brand new pole for $100, but since I don't even have a spinnaker (yet) I guess I'll wait for something more suitable. Or just look at an asym or perhaps a big light-weight genoa.

Faster 02-18-2013 10:37 PM

If you're thinking assym then you could use that pole to fashion a deck mounted prod for it.. With 7 feet on deck and a 2 ft extension you shouldn't need any kind of bob stay. For $100 if it doesn't work out you can easily sell it again.

PaulinVictoria 02-18-2013 11:11 PM

Hah, yeah, it'd probably just tear the front half of the deck off :D

svHyLyte 02-19-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria (Post 992081)
Yeah, I could see that turning into a bit of a mess. Oh well, was a pretty much brand new pole for $100, but since I don't even have a spinnaker (yet) I guess I'll wait for something more suitable. Or just look at an asym or perhaps a big light-weight genoa.

Paul--

Considering that the cost in poles is the end fittings, not the tube, if the diameter is right I'd by the pole, detach the end fittings and simply buy a longer length of tubing which is relatively inexpensive. In that manner you could have a properly sized pole for your yacht for much less than half the cost of new. (E.g. Ultra end fittings for a 3" diameter pole sell for upwards of $374.00 USD or $744.00 for just the two ends of a pole).

FWIW...

zz4gta 02-19-2013 10:47 AM

APS - Spinnaker Pole End Fittings

has end fittings for 3" pole quite a bit cheaper. However, I'm with svHy on this one, get the pole, pull the ends and reinstall on a properly sized pipe from the hardware store. Done.