Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-21-2013

patrscoe is on a distinguished road
Re: Raymarine Wireless Tacktick opinions from owners?

Mainsail, being it's your profession, I am sure you are right but I based my decision on Simrad Tech support and Raymarine Tech support and what they both told me.

I don't regret my discussion to switch. I preferred to have one manufacturer throughout.
.... discussion has gotten off the topic.

p.s. thanks for the PM and information.

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

My wireless wind instrument (with powered display) worked flawlessly for season 1. My only complaint is that the NMEA 183 interface is another $400.
Old 02-21-2013

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

I had installed tacktick on my previous cs 5 years ago. Friends purchased it when I bought the new cs. The instruments are still working w/o problems on the old boat.
I installed them on the new boat last spring. Worked fine. I did the installs myself and removed a ton of wiring from both boats.
I mounted the transmitter for the transducer as high above the waterline as possible and don't have a problem w/ the signal to the repeater. My mast is the limit for distance of the mast head unit and maintains signal. At this point I would install them again. Time will tell.
Jim
Old 02-21-2013

Jiminri is on a distinguished road

I installed the TackTick awi. The less expensive unit with the display that is hooked to 12v power, not the one where the display runs off of a solar panel. Used it for 2 years before I put the boat up for sale. Worked great the whole time. Never lost a signal. I plan to install a similar unit on my new boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
Old 01-10-2014

agoffin is on a distinguished road

We bought the wireless wind display and transducer (ST101) end of December. Installed it early Jan on our 70ft mast. and within 2 days it was not functioning anymore. Raymarine says the unit is defective... we need to send it back to the dealer... we're on a 1,200 mile-passage... hard to do... very disappointed.
Old 01-10-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road

I have found the tactick stuff to be about as reliable as any other instrument. That is they never really seem to work properly on some installs, never have a day of problems on others, and only work in months with the letter R for others. The upside is the wireless stuff is easy to install and return when something goes wrong.
Old 01-10-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Our current boat came with an older Tacktick wind/depth/speed system (MN 100). Must be at least 10 years old now ... maybe more. It has worked well for the four years we've owned the boat. I did have to replace the depth transducer, although I think it was even older than the Tacktick system. And in light airs our windy sometimes gets stuck. I think there is fine grit in the bearings b/c when I took it down three years ago, and cleaned it up, it worked flawlessly for the following season. Overall, I've been quite pleased with the system.

agoffin, this is probably a silly question, but is your mast too high? I think our masthead to the hull transceiver must be about 55 feet. I know our signal strength is low, but has never failed. At 70 feet, might you be too high?
Old 01-10-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

At some point the button battery in your TackTick will need to be replaced. They are soldered on to a small circuit board. Unless you are really good at soldering on PCBs stuffed with SMDs you'll have to find someone like me to do it for you. Even with my nice little soldering station and solder vacuum it takes me about 30 minutes plus set up and clean up. Not cheap.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-10-2014

agoffin is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE= At 70 feet, might you be too high?[/QUOTE]

that's what Raymarine suggested - but they did not seem to be sure! I am puzzled that there is no maximum working signal range in the product's manual, nor in the description of the items sold by Raymarine dealers/distributors.

And of course we're in the middle of a 1,200 mile passage when a wind instrument is useful especially at night...

We've been very unlucky with Raymarine wind instruments wired or not.
Old 01-10-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
At some point the button battery in your TackTick will need to be replaced. They are soldered on to a small circuit board. Unless you are really good at soldering on PCBs stuffed with SMDs you'll have to find someone like me to do it for you. Even with my nice little soldering station and solder vacuum it takes me about 30 minutes plus set up and clean up. Not cheap.
I'll remember that I can send them to you when my units crap out . Actually, I forgot to mention that we did have to have the battery in our hull unit (the transceiver that feeds the wireless units) replaced. We sent it to Tacktick, and for a small fee (forget what, but really was small), they replaced the battery and sent it back. I think this was before Raymarine bought them out, so not sure if this is still possible, or as cheap, now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agoffin View Post
that's what Raymarine suggested - but they did not seem to be sure! I am puzzled that there is no maximum working signal range in the product's manual, nor in the description of the items sold by Raymarine dealers/distributors.
Sorry to hear about the troubles Agoffin. I'm not sure where I read about the distance limit ... perhaps online somewhere, or perhaps in the old Tacktick manuals (which are on the boat, in a snow bank right now). I'm pretty sure our mast hight is getting close to the recommended limit, but I could be remembering this wrong.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.