SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   raymarine service sucks (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/96809-raymarine-service-sucks.html)

gon2sea 02-20-2013 02:20 PM

raymarine service sucks

returned from cruising with dead autopilot, bought new 6 month ago, boat sitting at marina waiting for autopilot to come back from RAYMARINE SERVICE so we can depart again, shipped over 3 weeks ago, have emailed raymarine, called them each day in the last 3 days, NO NEWS or call back, i was very disapointed in the autopilot and their service / customer support is even worse, never again will i buy anything from ray marine

jsaronson 02-20-2013 02:37 PM

Re: raymarine service sucks

If you want service, post on their Facebook page! Trust me - I've done it.
They guys were all in Miami for the boat show. Hope your problem gets solved.

Stu Jackson 02-20-2013 02:43 PM

What model ???

Faster 02-20-2013 03:33 PM

FWIW we had terrific service from a local dealer and local service contractor wrt to a warranty replacement of a 14 month old course computer.

tdw 02-20-2013 03:37 PM

There is also the Raymarine forum. The advisors there have been extremely helpful with our auto pilot problem.

Raymarine Technical Forum

alsobrsp 02-20-2013 07:37 PM

Yes what model? We are considering a Raymarine autopilot, the X30 with type 2 pump. Is there a better one for hydraulic steering?

fallard 02-20-2013 09:14 PM

I've had pretty good service from the Raymarine/Raytheon folks over the past 16 years. They have serviced GPS, Loran, and chartplotters, as well as a problematic wheel pilot.

Most of my problems were with autopilots, particularly the wheelpilot. I switched to a below-deck AP about 12 years ago and it was great. Then I replaced it due to a lightning strike, only to have the electric drive actuator mechanically fail after 10 hours. It was the same design as the 10 year old version which never caused a problem. It was replaced under warranty in a reasonable amount of time and I haven't had a problem since.

It's not nice to have equipment fail, but Raymarine has been above average in customer service in my opinion. Overall, I am quite satisfied with their products, too.

Irunbird 02-20-2013 09:29 PM

I've heard similar stories from other people (especially with the tiller-pilots- they seem to blow frequently and most people will carry 2 or 3 if they are voyaging for any significant distance), but I've had nothing but great communication from the Raymarine people. I've contacted their tech support group a bunch of times over the last few years for help installing all sorts of products and have had nothing but stellar performance. On the other hand, though, I do have some friends who steer clear from them.. they do have a rather voluminous web page, and trying to find the right transducer cable to go with x-instrument... uh, good luck! You really have to deal with them directly (ie. phone).

MARC2012 02-21-2013 07:02 AM

I have had good info from the tech support.OTOH the raymarine service(an oxymoron).I had my auto piolot seviced,TOOK FOREVER,.Found getting in touch with the person re status slightly less difficult than contacting the head of al quida in Yemenmarc

L124C 05-20-2013 05:19 PM

Have a tiller pilot problem. Just hung up on RM tech support after being on hold, listening to "Classical Gas" (I kid you not!) being played over and over for 15 minutes.!
I gave up on my RM wind instrument after sending it to RM and going round and round with them!
Just read this blog reagarding RM tiller pilot nightmares, and this guy is only an hour away from RM. I'm across the country!
http://www.chipford.com/tiller-pilot_problem.htm