Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough
Re: Replacing standing rigging

Around here the cheeep way out is to have it steped and copys made

This gives you the time to go over other items YOU MAY overlook with a for more expensive ending if soemthing is overlooked while hanging off a chair

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2013

bratzcpa is on a distinguished road

I just replaced all of the standing rigging. I dropped the mast and worked on it while it was on a pair of sawhorses. I was VERY VERY glad I did it that way. I found a bunch of problems at the masthead. One thing was the cast masthead had a crack in it. I never would have even seen that had I been suspended by a bosuns chair.

I also had extreme difficulties removing the pins that hold the shrouds/stays - they were badly corroded in place by the dissimilar metals (aluminum and SS). There is no way I would ever have gotten them out at the top of the stick.

I marked the turmbuckes, pulled all of the wire, wrapped it up . . . and sent it off saying "make me a set this same length". Perfect fit - worked great.
olson34 likes this.

S/V "New Girl" on the dock

Catalina 27
Old 02-22-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

It can be done in the water with the mast up. I would recommend contacting knothead here on SN. He's a professional rigger (and an honest, stand up guy) and has helped numerous people here (me included). He'll be able to advise you the best, and cheapest, way to go and can probably supply fittings and cable at very reasonable cost.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 02-22-2013

Brett01 is on a distinguished road

I think it's always a good idea to get the mast out and down on an old yacht.
You find all sorts of stuff when you get to have a good look at the thing close up. When we did our 12 yr old standing rigging we refurbished the 30 yr old spar and discovered it had way less corrosion than we expected but that the mast step needed attention that we did not expect.
Also took the opportunity to replaced all the bolts in the chain plates, electrical wiring in mast etc. replace crappy old sheave boxes etc. etc.
Unless you know this yacht very, very well I think not pulling the rig and just replacing the wire is a lost opportunity to prevent trouble one day when you least need it.
Old 02-23-2013

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road

Pulling the mast is always a good idea. Another reason, if your halyard is frayed, is to check and/or replace the sheaves, which on some boats is ismply impossible to do with the mast up.

Good luck.
Old 02-24-2013

Cabes is on a distinguished road

I,ve just bought a yacht ...how do I tell how old the rigging is exactly if there is no paperwork.?
Old 02-24-2013

Jiminri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabes View Post
I,ve just bought a yacht ...how do I tell how old the rigging is exactly if there is no paperwork.?
Not that I know the first thing about STANDING rigging but I think that's a very good reason to hire a rigger. Age may be a consideration, but I think condition is more so. Too many variables that affect life expectancy of equipment.
mitiempo likes this.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
Old 02-25-2013
Break, curse, fix, repeat

bwindrope is on a distinguished road

I did mine with Aeolus in the water because I had already pulled the mast a few years prior and replaced all the mast wiring. I did it just as it is described here, more or less, one piece at a time. Fortunately, I have mast steps!!!!! Can attest to Rigging Only providing good service. I will also put a plug in for Hayn Hi-Mod fittings, as they were recommended by Brion Toss and I found them easy to use. Elegant looking too.

Sheaves are good to get from Zephyrwerks in Port Townsend. Great to work with on custom sizes, and great quality. I'm getting some more from him for my boom sheaves.

I enjoyed this job immensely, and even though it was tedious, I know my rigging is solid now.

Old 02-25-2013

donlofland is on a distinguished road

Mine is a catalina 27, so we were able to unstep the mast on our own and trailer it to the back yard, where I leisurely replaced all the rigging and lines.

Next time I might hire the yard crane to help with the unstepping, but regardless, if it all needed replacing, I think I'd want to do it with the mast down. (But I have replaced just the forestay with the mast up because when I was stepping the mast after all the replacing the lower forestay turnbuckle fitting got snagged in the companionway and bent-dang!)
Old 02-25-2013

ntolst is on a distinguished road

I am currently replacing standing rigging on my Bayfield 36'. The original looks really good but it is over 25 years old and I don't trust it to sail offshore. I removed one lower shroud and one intermediate and requested riggers to make 4 identical shrouds for each with upper terminals swaged. The lower (Hi-Mod) terminals I bought from Rigging Only and will attach them myself. Once I finish with intermideate and lower shrouds I will do the upper and stays, one at the time. That is much cheaper then let professional riggers do whole project.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.