Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013

Lissa is on a distinguished road
Replacing standing rigging

We have a Cal 39 and the standing rigging is over 10 years old and the halyard has a fray. Plan to replace all rigging at once, including roller furler.

We sail frequently so want to decrease the down time. Another consideration is that we are poor so want to do this as cheaply as possible, and don't want to remove the mast.

Is it possible to do this ourselves? Did it before on a Catalina 30 with a tabernacle mast, but this is more complicated

Can get a discount at West Marine (Port Supply), but there may be a cheaper option?

Been told that Port Supply might have lower quality 316 stainless - is that true and should we be concerned?

So is it possible to do all this ourselves, including measuring? We're in Honolulu with constant winds - how can we accurately measure?

How do you start replacing cables with the mast in place?

Sorry for so many questions but any help is appreciated.

-Skipper and Mary Ann
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2013

fordo is on a distinguished road
Re: Replacing standing rigging

You can't replace the standing rigging unless you climb the mast and detach the shrouds and stays. You can hold the mast upright with a tightened halyard secured to the toerail but do you really want to climb the mast under those conditions? I wouldn't!

If you pull the mast you can detach and accurately measure the rigging and have new shrouds and stays made. Or you can do it youself with Stayloc or Norseman fittings.

The Pacific is large and unforgiving; do it right.
Old 02-20-2013

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

If you have done it before you can do it again. Call Rigging Only or go to riggingonly.com. They will get you what you need and all the follow on support you need. I did my Alberg 30 last year with sta-locs, used old rigging as template....saved quite a bit of money and learned alot about rigging and systems involved. Good Luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 02-21-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

In some cases it can be better to take the mast down, send the old stuff to where it will be worked on, then they can make new stuff.

The fact that is is windy should not matter from a measuring standpoint. As long as you are using a true steel tape measure. These do not stretch, along with they should not be as effected by the wind as a fiberglass/plastic style tape will be. Or do early int he AM, as most places the wind is less in the morning that later in the day.

Being as you are possibly dealing with PS, IIRC the only places that have rigging shops is Seattle and California. Cliff in Seattle is pretty sharp. You will need to have everything measured up from the get go correctly, or it will not get down and sent back to you correctly either.

marty
Old 02-21-2013

knuterikt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
We have a Cal 39 and the standing rigging is over 10 years old and the halyard has a fray. Plan to replace all rigging at once, including roller furler.

We sail frequently so want to decrease the down time. Another consideration is that we are poor so want to do this as cheaply as possible, and don't want to remove the mast.

Is it possible to do this ourselves? Did it before on a Catalina 30 with a tabernacle mast, but this is more complicated
Why replace the furler, if it's working ok servicing it might be less money.

If the mast hasn't been off the boat for 10 years it might be time for a thorough inspection.
It's easier to do with the mast down..

Replace the frayed halyard before starting to climb the mast, You need two good halyards to climb the mast.

Quote:
Can get a discount at West Marine (Port Supply), but there may be a cheaper option?

Been told that Port Supply might have lower quality 316 stainless - is that true and should we be concerned?
Don't know

Quote:
So is it possible to do all this ourselves, including measuring? We're in Honolulu with constant winds - how can we accurately measure?

How do you start replacing cables with the mast in place?
If I was to do this with mast up this is the way I would do it.
  • Use tape to mark how far in the turnbuckles is set
  • Take some turns of all the turnbuckles (so the mast does not bend when you remove one shroud)
  • Rig a temporary stay using a halyard or tie a rope to the mast - use a block&tackle to tension the temporary stay/shroud (if needed)
  • Take the shroud/stay down, copy and replace
  • After you have replaced all - tune the rig

Copying the old ones is the best way to get correct length, depending on how much the turnbuckle was tightened you may adjust the length of the new one. Riggers also adjust the length for stretch (don't have this number at hand)

Use screw on fittings of good quality (stalok or ..)
Or find a local rigger to put on swage terminals

If possible I would take the mast down, don't think the "downtime" is shorter with the mast up.
My rigger (who made the new wires when I replaced my rigging), does not replace standing rigging with the mast up.
  • Easier to inspect the mast when down
  • Faster: less climbing in the mast, easier access

Last edited by knuterikt; 02-21-2013 at 06:35 AM.
Old 02-21-2013

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuterikt View Post
My rigger (who made the new wires when I replaced my rigging), does not replace standing rigging with the mast down.
Did you mean this?

If you are comfortable in a chair or harness it is not hard to do from aloft. After loosening remove opposites in pairs for replacement. I watched a rigger (a pro admittedly) replace an entire rig on a Westsail 32 at the dock, including removing the spreaders for inspection, with a swaging machine on the dock. He had to answer my questions at the same time as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to mitiempo For This Useful Post:
abudoggie (04-22-2014)
Old 02-21-2013

knuterikt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Did you mean this?

If you are comfortable in a chair or harness it is not hard to do from aloft. After loosening remove opposites in pairs for replacement. I watched a rigger (a pro admittedly) replace an entire rig on a Westsail 32 at the dock, including removing the spreaders for inspection, with a swaging machine on the dock. He had to answer my questions at the same time as well.
No - corrected it to "does not replace standing rigging with the mast up."
Just to clarify.
We are talking about replacing all the wires.
He has got access to mast crane at his workshop.
The total time used is less by taking the mast down, and inspecting the mast is easier when down.
Old 02-21-2013

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Replacing standing rigging

A friend of mine replaced his standing rig at the dock, one wire at a time. He used StaLok or Norseman fittings (I forget which). I recall that he had built his own mast climber setup that functioned like the atn climber.
This was on a CT38. Big offshore performance cruiser.

So it reallly depends on your knowledge and skill level. Me - I'd hire a rigger! (And did so for our new rig.)
Old 02-21-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

How old is the standing rigging? 10 years is not that old unless there are issues.
Old 02-22-2013

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Replacing standing rigging

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaronson View Post
How old is the standing rigging? 10 years is not that old unless there are issues.
The OP sez he/she is in Hawaii. In hot salty air, I would advise every 15 years (max) as a guideline.
Their insurance company may want it done more often than that.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.