SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Proper Masking Tape

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  tommays 
#1 ·
I've used the 3M 14 day blue tape in the past when applying bottom paint with good results. However, now that I'm applying many layers of barrier coat to the bottom(Interlux 2000e), I'm not certain if this is the best tape to use. I expect to take around 7 days to complete the project and want to tape the boat only once during this period and have some sort of confidence that I can remove that tape at the end without messing up the job. Any suggestions? Thanks

#6 ·
Call 3M, there's an 800-number on every box or package. They will tell you how many days each type of tape can be left out in the sun before it starts to break down and becomes hard to remove.

They've got some specialty products like a silver masking tape, which can be left out for a month and still peel off cleanly. Expensive--but if you need two days to tape, then leave it for the next weekend, and get rained out, and leave it for the next..etcetera? Sometimes it can pay to buy the good stuff.

Different products from different manufacturers may use the same color--but not be the same of course. Best to call directly, 3M is great at helping you find the right product in their line.

#7 ·
the type of tape is not that important because you have to remove and re-tape on each coat. if the barrier coat sets up on the tape it will be very hard to remove the tape and might peel the coating.

#9 ·
it's not the tape but the coating that is the problem. 2000e is a two part epoxy and when it is set up it will not allow the tape to be removed without cracking the coating. if the tape is not removed before the coating sets up you will have a big problem on your hands.

#11 ·
Actually I've had good result when just using bottom paint...letting the first coat dry 1 day and the next day putting on the second coat....and then while the second coat is still wet removing the tape without any tears in the coating. It's the epoxy thing that is bothering me and thinking maybe vinyl electrical tape over the blue to keep the epoxy from sticking.

#12 · (Edited)
I think there is some confusion over the clearly important need for tape to not BLEED and be removable for a reasonable amount of time

And the need for so many types of paint and gelcoat work to have the tape pulled at the correct time

Seafevers two tone Awlgrip required FOUR taping sessions and after each cost even in 70 degree weather i was dam close to the OH_CRAP window

At the waterline 3m blue was fine in the green section anything other than 3m fine line would have been a fiasco due to the aggressive solvents in Alwgrip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.